Author Topic: are these anti-spyware programmes trustworthy?  (Read 11180 times)

Omar

are these anti-spyware programmes trustworthy?
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:11:10 PM »
spy defense:

http://www.everestlabs.com/

spyware terminator

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

advanced spyware remover

http://www.evonsoft.com/

they all have free versions!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: are these anti-spyware programmes trustworthy?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »
Hello Omar,

Using siteadvisor's info  and DrWeb's pre-link scanner results on the mentioned programs the status of the actual software downloads are malware free, but we have to admit that spyware terminator came with a questionable adware bundled history and has links to blazingtools.com on their site. While advanced spyware remover is also a malware free download site but also has questionable adware links to qwerks.com. Only the first program you mention has a totally clean "bill of health", they others may have improved on their reputation. I cannot review the programs further, because I have no experience with the mentioned software.
Sometimes it is not worth running risks with questionable software, because the adware can be bundled with only a percentage of the downloads. SpywareGuide.com is a good searchtool for information on the status of these programs.

polonus
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 09:51:15 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:58:54 PM »
Why oh why people can't stick to proven and tested Ad-aware and SpyBot and/or MS Windows Defender Beta ?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 10:07:55 PM »
spy defense:

http://www.everestlabs.com/
You can trust on this :)
I don't know about the others...

Why oh why people can't stick to proven and tested Ad-aware and SpyBot and/or MS Windows Defender Beta ?
Because they aren't very good...
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:08:56 PM »
Hi RejZoR,

I cannot but fully agree with what you say here, my friend.
You have put into words what many of our forum members may have thought initially when they read Omar's posting.
Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster these are the three anti ad-/spyware programs of choice. I always call them "my three musketeers". Together with in-browser protection like No-Script and AdblockPlus the avarage user has everything aboard next to his AV and FW to stay free of the avarage adware, spyware and scumware infections.
Well you have to have a bit of additional protection like for instance siteadvisor or DrWeb's in browser pre-scanner, because even these three proggies of choice cannot find all.
New ad- and spyware is being born everyday. But it is like in everyday life: go to a backstreet alley and you get more easily clubbered over the head then on Fifth Avenue (alas there in a more elegant way 8) ).

polonus
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:13:14 PM by polonus »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 10:28:48 PM »
Your first port of call should be http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm.

I too would agree with RejZoR and Polonus, for me, AdAware, Spybot S & D and SpywareBlaster, that has always been enough.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:30:57 PM »
Not that good? I hardly belive that. But if you want to buy scamware thats better than this, then go for it.
But take my words as words of wisdom, because they are so damn true.
I've seen way too many users using or asking about scumware/badware programs, especially in anti-spyware area.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:34:18 PM »
Not that good? I hardly belive that. But if you want to buy scamware thats better than this, then go for it.
But take my words as words of wisdom, because they are so damn true.
I've seen way too many users using or asking about scumware/badware programs, especially in anti-spyware area.
Do you know what I use!?
I don't use scamware... ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 10:48:39 PM »
Hi RejZoR & VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

And do you know why that is? Because deception works, and these rogue anti-spyware program and scanner makers know it.
People that are not that experienced fall for it, and of course they pay the price. And even the old dogs get tempted once in a while.
But always remember this: "Too good to be true mostly is exactly what it is- too good to be true". And with good trustworthy free programs the numbers are rather deminishing then growing.
You do not have to be paranoid, but you must keep your eyes wide open, and don't buy every story that is dished up to you, but go and establish the facts, and these can be learned, also here, in our very informative forum. Thank you my friends for keeping me free of malware all the time since I started to come here,

polonus
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:52:20 PM by polonus »

Omar

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 10:54:58 PM »

When I ran Ewdio, i noticed how much adaware/spybot miss!

So I thought there must be other free spyware programmes out there, which find what is missed!

Following the advice given in this thread, I looked at the "rogue spyware list"

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products

2 of the programmes, I listed used to be on the list, but have now been taken off it!

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 10:55:38 PM »
Hi polonus :),

I know that we are seeing a lot of rouges antispywares that even infect more ours systems, but think that we have only 3 ways to remove and prevent spyware or other malware, is...

Regards

Spiritsongs

Eric Howes "Rogue/Suspect" Listing
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:16:26 AM »
 :) Hi Omar :

At times, Eric Howes of the "Rogue/Suspect" antiSPYWARE
     site will "Delist" programs; however, there are usually
     detailed "Notes" and he still has his "Trustworthy Anti-
     Spyware Products". Counterspy is NOT listed there because
     he now works for the company that makes it and Spybot
     appears to have been "demoted".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 02:34:18 AM »
I too would agree with RejZoR and Polonus, for me, AdAware, Spybot S & D and SpywareBlaster, that has always been enough.
Me too... I will just add: a-squared and ewido to this list  8)
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 03:17:01 AM »
Hello,

I believe with the others that the first one is the only one that is clean. I am currently running tests on the last one, why? because the last one caught my interest in maybe being a fake. Why do I think this might be? Compare both sites from my screenshot from the evensoft website. The part of the site I took a screenshot of has the same icons as the Spyware Doctor program! I am contacting PC Tools to confirm this because if this is a rogue product it deserves to be dealt with.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 03:20:14 AM by justin1278 »

Omar

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 09:03:08 AM »
Hello,

I believe with the others that the first one is the only one that is clean. I am currently running tests on the last one, why? because the last one caught my interest in maybe being a fake. Why do I think this might be? Compare both sites from my screenshot from the evensoft website. The part of the site I took a screenshot of has the same icons as the Spyware Doctor program! I am contacting PC Tools to confirm this because if this is a rogue product it deserves to be dealt with.

I look forward to hearing what pc tools say!