Author Topic: are these anti-spyware programmes trustworthy?  (Read 11196 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: are these anti-spyware programmes trustworthy?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »
Well if you want reliable and trustworthy anti-spyware, then you use the one from reputable company, for example Computer Associates, Trend Micro or McAfee. Ewido and A^2 have proven themself enough to be perfectly trusted too.
Is it so hard to use security programs that are known to be trusted by expert users and other security experts? Hell, even Microsoft recommends Ad-aware and SpyBot (along with their Windows Defender) as the most logical choice of tools.
And i can't argue with them.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »
Spyware Terminator is so far clean (it was tested on many sites)
 and well working, detection is on par with MS Antispyware (ex Giant AS) ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 01:30:53 PM »
Well CounterSpy (Sunbelt Software) is I believe was also linked to the old Giant anti-spyware and for a considerable time considered one of the best, unlike windows anti-spyware (a.k.a. Giant) it isn't restricted to XP OS only, the only down side is it isn't free but reasonably priced.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:39:05 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justin1278

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 05:20:25 AM »
In my last post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20223.msg169491#msg169491

I said I was going to contact PC Tools and I did. I  have recieved their reply and I would like to share it with all of you. Below in the red is what they had to say.

Justin, Thank you for contacting PC Tools.

Thank you for informing us about the possible copyright breach. This issue has been put to the attention of our lawyers.

We sincerely appreciate your help with the protection of our brand an reputation.

Unfortunately I do not know the procedures for this type of issue and cannot fulfill your request 'I would like to know what actions PC Tools takes with this information and the results'.

We sincerely appreciate your continued interest in our award-Winning PC Tools software solutions and we will continue to strive in providing the best support possible.

If you require further assistance, please reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Manuel Montierro
Customer Support Representative
PC Tools Customer Support Services

So I would like to know what you the forum members think, as we know this product "Advanced Spyware Remover" in the past was qualified as a rouge antispyware product. Also the user interface is similar to that in Spyware Doctor.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 05:23:10 AM by justin1278 »

Spiritsongs

Eric Howes says
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »
 :)  Hi All :

As Eric Howes says on his "Rogue/Suspect Products" site :

"That an application has been de-listed should not be understood as an endorsement or recommendation of any kind. We still recommend that users consult the short list of "trustworthy" anti-spyware applications. "

Jarmo P

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 09:12:06 AM »
I usually delete my firefox cookies.
Might be some that SpywareBlaster's database does not know.
Why run antispyware programs, to let them clean those when you can do it yourself?

Well, Noscript too, and maybe only allowing cookies from the site's server only.
And if wanting to be adfree while surfing, allow pics from the web page server only.

Simple, no need for even adblock or like extensions.    :P
Running under limited user account is also an easy need not know much way of protection.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:17:12 AM by Jarmo P »

justin1278

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 09:54:27 PM »
Why run antispyware programs, to let them clean those when you can do it yourself?

Why? You may be able to delete cookies but I would like to see you try and clean up Spyfalcon by yourself. After you get a bad infection you will know why.

justin1278

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 12:02:33 AM »
Hello,

PC Tools has contacted me and for reporting a copyright infragment they have given me Spyware Doctor free for 12 months!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D I expected nothing but they were extremely curtious. The e-mail is below in red.

Justin,

Thank you for your help on this.

My name is Jessica and I am a Team Manager here at PC Tools Customer Support Services. To thank you for your help I have authorized a free 12 month subscription to Spyware Doctor.

Your new license details are included below. You might like to save a copy of this email on disk for future reference.

CharleyO

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 07:05:45 AM »

Way to go, Justin!    :)

You did the right thing and got rewarded.    ;)

justin1278

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 10:47:10 PM »
Thanks CharleyO ;), That means it will cost me about $50.00 USD for the renewal of avast! and Spyware Doctor if I renew Spyware Doctor.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:50:13 PM by justin1278 »