Author Topic: Having Ransomware Shield Installed causes Avast Antivirus Service to Crash  (Read 4764 times)

Offline I_am_AM

So I was having problems with Avast since a recent update (unsure exact point of problem starting as is could have been a windows update or an avast update). Symptom was the Failed to load UI message. I had tried everything including:

• Uninstalling and Re-installing
  • Uninstalled in Safe mode with Avast Clear and then reinstalled
  • Using both online and offline installer for the above two
  • Manually Starting the Avast Antivirus Service (Crashed immediately)
  • Ran sfc /scannow ( which did repair some files) then repeated the above but to no avail

So i thought, i wonder if a different antivirus would work, so I installed AVG free, No problems. Used AVG Clear. Installed Avast Free, No problem. Installed my licence key for premium which updated everything, problems. Ran Avast Clear again and decided to do a custom install starting with "minimal protection" installing features one by one and restarting when prompted. Could install everything except ransomware shield, which i left until last as it was the newest thing i could think of. After installing Ransomware shield Avast antivirus service refused to start and kept crashing on reboot and via manually starting the service. I uninstalled the ransomware shield and everything worked again. Could the new ransomware shield clash with something windows like bitlocker?

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline I_am_AM

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1703 OS build 15063.483

No other security related software installed other than what comes with Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft. However, I believe i have all Microsoft stuff disabled except for bitlocker which is enabled

On this machine only ever used avast, prior to having problems, and have never had problems with it on this machine until recently (refer to "So I was having problems with Avast since a recent update" in Original Post)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline I_am_AM

I did run that however while i was still having issues when ransomware shield was installed it would not find any issues and gave me all green ticks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
I did run that however while i was still having issues when ransomware shield was installed it would not find any issues and gave me all green ticks.
Reread the instructions, you need to upload it and create a ticket.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline I_am_AM

I understand the support tool and that you need to send the report in however do you understand what i am saying?, the tool found no problems so in all likelihood it is going to submit a support request indicating no problems. It did not detect that the avast antivirus service was not running nor that starting it results in a crash shortly after.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Do it anyway. The devs will need your minidumps.

Offline I_am_AM

The problem is for me to do that I would have to reinstall ransomware shield to cause the avast service to crash. When the crashes of the service was happening I also had issues logging into windows with it hanging after entering password which required multiple forced restarts to luck on being able to log in. Now that i have everything working, which i need to work, i don't particularly want to revisit all the problems i had prior to discovering it was caused by the ransomware shield. Plus it is not really my job to make sure avast works, that is avasts job. Personally, i think i have done enough troubleshooting to narrow it down to the ransomware shield. The only reason i posted about my experience was to assist those who might have similar issues and have tried all the steps i had tried before narrowing it down to the ransomware shield causing the issues.

if someone from avast wants to reimburse me for time spent (even through complimentary product subscriptions) to recreate the problem and provide dumps then i will be happy to do so. While i am happy to assist fellow avast users who might have the same problems i did i am not happy to provide my time free to avast. if i wanted higher level support from avast then i am 99% sure they would try to charge me for it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Well, that's up to you. I/we can only lead you to the water... ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well, that's up to you. I/we can only lead you to the water... ;)

+1

@ I_am_AM
By doing this you are helping other avast users, avast have to be able to replicate it, for that they need information.  There are many avast users that have been helping on this forum for many years, they aren't being paid to do so.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline I_am_AM

providing additional information is one thing. Recreating the issue on my machine with the possibility of not being able to log in and use my machine is another. I am confident that a majority of people faced with a similar situation would choose not to put their machine at risk without a guarantee that their efforts would yield a positive result. I have read a few post on this forum which indicate that avast takes little to no notice of issues provided by users with their software. The fact that no one from avast has contacted me directly or posted in this thread asking for additional information supports that view. I again repeat the fact that the support tool could not detect that the avast antivirus service was not running, which is an issue in itself, and to me, indicates that the tool itself is ill equipped to handle this type of situation.

Although i do appreciate those who have responded taking the time to respond, I do take offence at being told that i have been lead to water. No response so far has actually provided me with any more information than what I have come to on my own. if anything Avast has been lead to water and i am waiting for them to drink.

That said, I wouldn't choose another AV / Internet Security package as i believe that Avast is one of the best on the market even in light of my recent troubles.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Hi, FYI, it has been reported to the devs. Cheers.

Offline I_am_AM

Hi, FYI, it has been reported to the devs. Cheers.

Thanks Asyn

Offline PDI

• Avast team
Hi I_am_AM,

we cannot help you and others without your willingness to help.

Could you please tell me if you submitted the output of the support tool to Avast?
As Asyn mentioned we need the output or at least the content of the %programdata%\AVAST Software\Avast\log to find the problem.

Thanks,
PDI