Author Topic: Avast Firewall & windows firewall  (Read 5738 times)

Offline daveylee20

Avast Firewall & windows firewall
« on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
OK, I have a problem with avast & it overriding windows firewall when Avast firewall is enabled. I purchased a license because I was fed up with Comodo's Security agent problems. But its just caused more problems than I had before.

I have to stop windows firewall monitoring Hamachi network for hamachi to work. I've allowed program on inbound & outbound. But it still has a problem until I uncheck Hamachi in Windows firewall Domain, Private & public profile settings & it works great. But if I then enable Avast firewall, it takes control of windows firewall & Hamachi doesn't work anymore. I've checked Avast firewall program under application rules & checked both Hamachi services to allow, all & both in & out. Yet it still refuses to work. Only by turning Avast firewall off can I get it to work.

So,  My question is. Am I missing a setting with Avast firewall for Hamachi to work, like do I need to allow something else. Or is there a way to turn off windows firewall & use Avast firewall without Avast taking control & overriding my settings? Because I don't need both firewall enabled as 1 is breaking the other!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Firewall & windows firewall
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
avast doesn't do anything to the Windows firewall.
You should only use one of them and set things up correctly.

Even better is to use a good hardware.firewall.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
when Avast firewall is installed and active, Windows turn of their firewall. so the correct way is to configure the Avast Firewall to exclude Hamachi. But you did that and it still doesn't work, right? What OS do you use?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
Removing the rule(s) and setting things up again sometimes is working.
Give it a try I would say.

Offline daveylee20

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »
Hi, sorry for delay reply. Was away on work.

I have set things up with Avast perfectly. Avast allows hamachi to operate. Set the ports to any & allow + the program itself. But then I turn off Avast firewall. I can then configure windows 10 firewall. I set the profiles for the firewall to off so it is completely off & hamachi works. But as soon as I enable avasts firewall, it stops me from editing windows 10 firewall & hamachi stops connecting correctly to the group. I tested this with another firewall, Comodo & when I've allowed it through comodo, it works with the settings I've set with win 10 firewall. But with avast, it takes over win 10 firewall & manages it itself, or thats what it says when I open windows firewall page.

I do have win 10 64bit. I've tested this in every way I can think of. Either avast firewall just won't let hamachi work right or it does what it says, manages windows 10 firewall & overides the settings I've set in it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:19:57 PM »
Are you using two firewalls?   Don't, if you are going to use avast firewall then turn off win firewall