Author Topic: Frustration with Outlook  (Read 16205 times)

rextilleon

Frustration with Outlook
« on: May 01, 2006, 02:55:29 AM »
I am using Home version 4.7---after a recent update, I am unable to get my email via Outlook Express. When I turn off Avast, I get on.  Any ideas--was on the phone with Verizon for hours and have never had this problem with Avast before.

The server responded with an error. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 206.46.232.10 (206.46.232.10:110), connect error 10060', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Frustration with Outlook
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:20:16 AM »
Welcome to the avast forum.

Let's be sure ... your Subject line says frustration with Outlook.  In the text you mention Outlook Express.  Outlook and Outlook Express are entirely different products. 

I'll assume that you really are using Outlook Express. 

Since avast works a bit differently for the older Windows operating systems (Win98/Me) from the newer type (Win2000/WinXP) it would help to tell us your operating environment please.

rextilleon

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:51:02 AM »
Sorry--its Outlook Express and I run Windows XP---I appreciate your prompt response.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:56:29 AM »
rextilleon,

while you are looking at the suggestions from Tech can you re-check the error message you are seeing. 

I am a little puzzled by:

Account: 'incoming.verizon.net'

When that is clearly not your account but your server. 

You told us that you can connect when you turn off avast. Are you using "Stop On-Access Protection"?  If so, then can you try turning off the individual providers to try to isolate the one that may be causing your problem?  I would first suggest the Internet Mail provider, then the Webshield and then any others you have running.

rextilleon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:12:54 AM »
Tech---I read both those threads---and although the first one seemed apropos, it was written in 2004 and didn't seem applicable to the current version.  Couldn't figure out the directions.  Also, it works fine when I click
stop On-Access protection.  I am not sure what you mean by turn off the providers----

Alanrf, I just named it that because i deleted my old account and created a new one--all my settings are correct---they were verified with  Verizon (my provider).

rextilleon

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 03:52:42 PM »
Any other ideas---I am getting very frustrated----

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 04:12:18 PM »
connect error 10060 -
Winsock Connect Error
System Error: 10060
Connection timed out. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Since this would appear to be either a failure to connect or a time out error, I would suggest that you check your firewall (what is it ?) and ensure that you haven't blocked ashMaiSv.exe after the program update or increase your OE timeout duration.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rextilleon

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
Thank you --I'm using Windows firewall----checked and everything seems to be okay---It seems that the recent update changed soem stuff and it is recommended to run the Mail Protection Wizard, but for the life of me, I have no idea where to find it.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 04:23:06 PM »
XP should be transparent however you will find the mail wizard in programme files\alwil softwar\avast4\ashpopwz

rextilleon

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 04:37:32 PM »
God, this is frustrating--when I turn off mail protection I have no problems--When I turn it on I get the error message above----I need virus protection for my email, but at this point I guess it isn't happening.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 04:42:02 PM »
Check the firewall exceptions and ensure that shMaiSv.exe is listed, if not add it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rextilleon

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
It was, and I can't connect even when I turn the firewall off----This is a problem with Avast mail provider---I have managed to determine that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »
With the time taken and no apparent/obvious cause or solution, it would probably be quicker to do a clean install of avast and see if that resolves the issue.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it on your hard disk so you can find it again. Download the latest version of avast, save it also.

Uninstall avast! using add remove programs, reboot, run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot, install the latest version of avast.

rextilleon

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 06:27:16 PM »
I tried it once already---didn't work---Just did it again--still have the same problem.  Obviously, when I try to connect to my ISP email server, via Avast, the password is not being excepted and thus the connection isn't being made. Someone said something about Avast changing some settings but its beyond me at this point.

One last point--if I purchased the Pro version, do you think that Avast support would be able to fix this problem or would I just be wasting my time? 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:25:41 PM by rextilleon »