Author Topic: Possible to delay updates after login?  (Read 7924 times)

j3flight

Possible to delay updates after login?
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:16:08 PM »
Two laptops: 
One is my parents' that sits behind a router on an ADSL line.
The other one is my wife's that she typically uses our home WiFi through a router to a cable connection.

Problem:
Both machines, being laptops, are only powered on when they are going to be used.  On both machines, after you power up and login (and it's been a day or two) the avast update immediately begins running.  That's expected really because the avast application is starting up and there is a network connection present so it tries to update...

The problem is that, immediately after login, you're usually trying to load an application or your startup apps are loading, etc, etc and the computer is busy already.  I've found that on those days when Avast updates itself immediately after login, the computer gets bogged down quite a bit until the update is finished.

First:  Is there a reason why the update process not run at low priority?  It seems to really hammer the processor and I think that would be a good way to fix this problem in a very generic way...
Second:  Is there anything I can do so that avast waits, say 60 or 120 seconds after login to run the update.  There would be much less going on then and I think it'd be almost transparent.  Is there a certain combination of choices I need to pick in the "Updates:Connections" section in the options dialog to fix this?  Neither one really seem to fit the scenario.

Since this is my first post, I thought I would also throw in a big compliment!  I use avast on a number of home machines and I've recommended it to friends/family numerous times.  We all appreciate the fact that it's free and that it just works well.  Thank you for all your work that goes into this application...

Thanks for any help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Possible to delay updates after login?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:50:06 PM »
First:  Is there a reason why the update process not run at low priority?  It seems to really hammer the processor and I think that would be a good way to fix this problem in a very generic way...
I don't think the problem is the update priority, just logon and boot stressing of the computer.

Second:  Is there anything I can do so that avast waits, say 60 or 120 seconds after login to run the update.  There would be much less going on then and I think it'd be almost transparent.  Is there a certain combination of choices I need to pick in the "Updates:Connections" section in the options dialog to fix this?  Neither one really seem to fit the scenario.
Sure, just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Welcome  8)
The best things in life are free.

j3flight

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »
Ok, cool, thanks...  I'll try the INI file setting...  Do I have to have any of the boxes checked in the "Update (Connections)" options for this to be applicable? 

Also, can you point me to an explanation of how exactly those update options affect the behavior/timing of the update process?  It's not exactly clear, especially since you can select one, both, or none....  That has ALWAYS confused me.  =)

Thanks!

electronikk

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 11:20:06 AM »
IMHO the best way to speed up the boot process is to keep your autostarts clean. Defragging might also be a good idea. (But if you are using windows xp your boot-files are analyzed and defragged regularly by the system, so this won't help much.) But really, cleaning up your aurtostarts can make a difference. Especially since many programs tend to run 'services' that actually aren't needed all the time.

Please note that only a very small number of autostarts shows up in the Autostart-Folder of the Start-Menu. Just use msconfig and have a look at the systemstart tab - usually none of the listed programs are needed to run windows. If you are an experienced user you might even want to disable some of the entries - but only if you know what you're doing... ;-) And of course you shouldn't touch any of the security-relevant entries (like the firewall and anti-virus entries)!

So if you want to speed up your system - run as few programs as possible - especially at startup.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
Ok, cool, thanks...  I'll try the INI file setting...  Do I have to have any of the boxes checked in the "Update (Connections)" options for this to be applicable?
Yes. Check the permanent connection. Uncheck the dial-up one. 

Also, can you point me to an explanation of how exactly those update options affect the behavior/timing of the update process?
They don't change the update behavior. It's just a delay: boot > logon > permanent connection to Internet > delay > start update process.

It's not exactly clear, especially since you can select one, both, or none....  That has ALWAYS confused me.  =)
Can you rephrase? Are you refering to the connection type?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 01:33:43 PM »
IMHO the best way to speed up the boot process is to keep your autostarts clean.
Sure.
Anyway, you could use NetRun to run a list of programs only when a internet connection is detected, and close/kill the same 'list' when the connection is lost. When I upgraded my machine to XP, the program that I was using stop working so I was forced to write this program.
You can download the Beta Version (1.2.1.3). It's stable and functional: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~czarsoft/NetRunSetup.exe

Defragging might also be a good idea. (But if you are using windows xp your boot-files are analyzed and defragged regularly by the system, so this won't help much.)
I suggest PageDefrag from www.sysinternals.com to defrag system (boot) files.

But really, cleaning up your aurtostarts can make a difference. Especially since many programs tend to run 'services' that actually aren't needed all the time.
To avoid 'stressing' at a time, I use Startup Delayer.
It's the only freeware I've found that controls the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP) that does not follow a strict order.

Besides this, since avast! version 4.7.807 the Standard Shield has a feature called do not scan system libraries (by default on) that dramatically decrease the number of files scanned during computer boot.

j3flight

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 04:31:20 PM »
The problem isn't that I have too much running at startup... in fact, I'm pretty anal about things in startup or registry that run all the time.  It's just that Avast seems to want to start the update right as I'm launching my own applications and get to work (Word, IE, Outlook, whatever).  It seems to bog down in the mud for 20 seconds or so and then all of a sudden it gets better when the blue window pops up telling me it has updated.

"Can you rephrase? Are you refering to the connection type?"
Yes.  The checkboxes in the Update (Connections) area of the options dialog.  There are have two choices:
- I connect to the internet using a modem
- My computer is permanently connected to the internet

Those two options would make sense if you HAD to choose one or the other.  But, how does the update behavior/scheduling change when you click NEITHER or BOTH?  That's what confuses me...

Ok, thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions on the wife's laptop!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 07:35:20 PM »
Yes.  The checkboxes in the Update (Connections) area of the options dialog.  There are have two choices:
- I connect to the internet using a modem
- My computer is permanently connected to the internet
Those two options would make sense if you HAD to choose one or the other.
If you use a permanent connection (cable modem) you should use only the permanently connected option.
If you use a dial-up (modem not permanent) you should use only that option.

But, how does the update behavior/scheduling change when you click NEITHER or BOTH?  That's what confuses me...
It's better to choose one of them. It won't make much sense checking both or checking none.

avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds. If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band. If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time. Some of this settings could be configurated different, I posted the default values of the avast4.ini file.

j3flight

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 08:03:29 PM »
Ok, I appreciate the clarification...

If it is invalid to choose both or none, I'd like to ask/suggest that you change those options to radio buttons rather than checkboxes...

I've had a number of people ask me to explain those options to them and it has always been a confusing issue as to why it's possible to pick both or none.  Radio buttons (with one chosen by default) would end the debate.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »
If it is invalid to choose both or none, I'd like to ask/suggest that you change those options to radio buttons rather than checkboxes...
If my assumptions are right, this is what they should do.
If not, well, I need to learn more how avast works and an Alwil official post would be great 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 10:43:53 PM »

I've had a number of people ask me to explain those options to them and it has always been a confusing issue as to why it's possible to pick both or none.  Radio buttons (with one chosen by default) would end the debate.
I think that part of the problem is that avast can't know in advance what your connections is, so both check boxes are left empty, which for most people doesn't cause a problem.

I think that with both boxes unchecked it must be some form of auto detect function or the use default windows connection state ???

However, changing this to radio buttons wouldn't change much as both would have to be left empty/unselected to cater for the same problem of not knowing what connection type the user had. All it may possibly do is stop both being selected, that may mean that one must be selected, which gets us back to start state.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 11:23:36 PM »
However, changing this to radio buttons wouldn't change much as both would have to be left empty/unselected to cater for the same problem of not knowing what connection type the user had. All it may possibly do is stop both being selected, that may mean that one must be selected, which gets us back to start state.
You're right... I haven't thought in this way... The startup (default) behavior is the problem.

electronikk

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 01:16:51 AM »

Hmm I think radio buttons with "I connect to the internet using a modem" selected by default would solve the problem. It's the safe method - you know what you have to expect from it and it will work on any connection - you can tweak it later on. Maybe an improved start-up assistant would be a nice new feature for the next major avast release. It could help you make choices like the above one and it could let you choose between speed and scanning depth and things like that. But I'm being carried away here.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:37:20 AM by electronikk »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 12:54:56 PM »
Hmm I think radio buttons with "I connect to the internet using a modem" selected by default would solve the problem. It's the safe method - you know what you have to expect from it and it will work on any connection - you can tweak it later on.

I don't understand what you're saying... The "I'm using a modem" option CAN NOT be set as default - as it causes avast to detect connection only when a dial-up modem connection is established.

The default is to have both unchecked - and this is what actually works for 99% users (maybe more). It detects the connection by using PINGs.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

electronikk

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 01:51:57 PM »
I don't understand what you're saying... The "I'm using a modem" option CAN NOT be set as default - as it causes avast to detect connection only when a dial-up modem connection is established.

The default is to have both unchecked - and this is what actually works for 99% users (maybe more). It detects the connection by using PINGs.

Sorry, my mistake! I thought that pings were used when the modem-option  is activated.  I guess I got a little confused. (And maybe  I'm not the only one)  :-[

So do we need three radio-buttons? (Use ping to detect (default), Modem, Permanent)  ;)