Author Topic: Congratulations to frequent VPS updates of Avast  (Read 8222 times)

avvidro

Congratulations to frequent VPS updates of Avast
« on: June 25, 2006, 02:57:00 AM »
It is good and comfortant to see Avast launching signature updates more frequently than before, when it used to be sometimes almost 4 days.

I think this is one of the good ways.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Congratulations to frequent VPS updates of Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 05:22:42 AM »
Have we not been here before?

The next time there is a gap of three days will we not see the same old whining?

I suppose a balanced view is too much to expect.

avvidro

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 07:04:59 AM »
Have we not been here before?
The next time there is a gap of three days will we not see the same old whining?
Eh? And, what will be the cause? The user?

English is not my mother language, and so I won't know the denotations and conotations of certain expressions, but, my view is and will be:
daily or more frequent updates I feel happy, few updates I feel sad (and worried of course).

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 08:08:02 AM »
Alwil (avast!) it has not examined files that they are distributed by the VirusTotal.

Therefore avast! does not detect many malwares.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »
I am content with updates as needed by the avast team ...

not updates to make you happy.

avvidro

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 09:41:03 AM »
Really. A balanced view, posture, professional being, <anything-evangelist-applicated> is too much to expect... from you. Great. Grazia Dio Avast is already established and establishing more and more, but you don't have credit for this, and if you had, you destroy all when "talks" with users. Are you an evangelist. Excuse me, but you sound more like a fariseu.

I am content with updates as needed by the avast team ... not updates to make you happy
Me happy? Keep not worrying about me. But, and the clients? And the clients, who pay for the Avast Professional? What if they realize that AntiVir updates his virus definitions up to 4 times a day? What if they realize the evangelists do attack potential clients? Would they be happy?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »
I regret that I am just an English speaker ... perhaps you can translate 'fariseu' .

As to evangelist attacking potential clients ... what a silly comment  ... I will leave any other reader to judge.   

As an "evangelist" if I could reset it I would ... and I rather suspect that might not upset the avast team. 

As to pay, well I do have a paid avast license that just leaves me as an avast user. 

As to Antivir...  it came free on my new Dell system ... I replaced it with avast.

As for you ... please stay around in your true colours to attack avast as you clearly wish to do.

hlecter

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:08:54 PM »
As for you ... please stay around in your true colours to attack avast as you clearly wish to do.

Alan, with all due respect, I can't see an attack on Avast in his thread...

The OP just tried to give some positive comments on Avast, as far as I can read the thread.  But something definitely went wrong...  ;)

Regards
hlecter

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
hlecter, thanks for your critique of my response.

My post was not based entirely on the original post in this thread.

I remain entirely content with my comment.

Sincerely,

Alan 

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 01:47:11 PM »

???

I'm sorry Alan, I agree with hlector on this one, I just don't see any attack here either. From what I could see, avvidro was offering sincere praise in his initial post. I think you jumped the gun a bit. :(

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I am asking you this sincerely: Is the issue in your mind that this forum should be something of a sanctuary for avast users, whom you feel, are unquestioning die hards who only make requests for help or offer (or ask for) technical information within a limited scope? Or is it a matter of WHERE the complaints are lodged (i.e., complaints written specifically in a "help" section of the forum?)

A forum, in my mind, should be a "round table" where all ideas and issues are discussed, including criticism. There are excellent
points to Avast as well as certain shortcomings and problems. I don't feel an honest discussion of those shortcomings is bashing
or being disloyal to Avast or any other product. They help make the product better.

Perhaps a way of resolving this would be to open up a specific section of the forum titled "Complaints and criticisms of Avast" and have moderators move posts of this nature to that section.
Would this be a suitable compromise for folks?

I don't want this to turn into a "bash Alan" thread but this issue does seem to be an undercurrent in this board and I would like to help resolve it, if possible.  :)

Best Regards...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 02:21:21 PM »
Guys, this isn't getting us anywhere and doesn't contribute to the Topic's Title 'Congratulations to frequent VPS updates of Avast' It has always been as an when updates are available they are released, so with avasts 4 hour auto update 'check for updates' if one is present you get it.

I have been using avast for over two years now and updates have averaged out at 3-4 per week, some weeks there might be 3-4 or more in a day, some weeks there might be 3-4 days between updates. Unfortunately, if you haven't had avast long you don't see this long term average.

Not wanting to put words into Alan's mouth, but here's how I read his comments. Yes we have been here before (there have been lots of threads on this subject), reference avasts update frequency, a balanced view - taken over a longer time.  So I don't think that Alan's intention was nothing other than, we have been here before and a balanced view over a long period (Hard to see if you haven't seen it over a longer time).

If you check Alan's history of posts, you will see that he is no fan boy if there is an issue or 'shortcoming' he will shout as loudly as anyone in these forums if he thinks avast should do something about it, so we need to balance the comment on a sanctuary for unquestioning die-hards of avast

I also don't believe that avvidro's comment "What if they realize that AntiVir updates his virus definitions up to 4 times a day?" was an attack on avast just a comparative statement as we all know that it is more than simple signature numbers/updates that make a good anti-virus.

The more that join the debate the more we stray from the Topic's Title, well I've said my piece and I'm done other than to say I'm happy with avast's VPS updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hlecter

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 02:57:09 PM »

The more that join the debate the more we stray from the Topic's Title, well I've said my piece and I'm done other than to say I'm happy with avast's VPS updates.

David,

I totally agree upon that.
I am also happy with the VPS updates.
That said, all posters should be treated with due respect. (including the OP in this thread :-\)

With that said I'm done, too....

Regards
hlecter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »
A forum, in my mind, should be a "round table" where all ideas and issues are discussed, including criticism. There are excellent points to Avast as well as certain shortcomings and problems. I don't feel an honest discussion of those shortcomings is bashing or being disloyal to Avast or any other product. They help make the product better.
Fully agree.
Nobody could say I'm not loyal to avast.
But nobody will make me say avast couldn't be better: detection (number, speed of updates and recognition, malware analysis...) is the major handycap of avast nowadays.

Anyway, let's not turn this issue in a 'problematic' ones because we can't understand each other  8)

If you check Alan's history of posts, you will see that he is no fan boy if there is an issue or 'shortcoming' he will shout as loudly as anyone in these forums if he thinks avast should do something about it, so we need to balance the comment on a sanctuary for unquestioning die-hards of avast
Fully agree. Alan's post are very useful and teach me a lot about email management, among other issues.

I also don't believe that avvidro's comment "What if they realize that AntiVir updates his virus definitions up to 4 times a day?" was an attack on avast just a comparative statement as we all know that it is more than simple signature numbers/updates that make a good anti-virus.
The same, Avvidro is a Brazilian guy and I can't read criticism in his words. Just we all want avast better.

Including the OP in this thread :-\
hlecter, what is OP ?
The best things in life are free.

hlecter

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »
Tech:

Original Poster=OP  (I hope :)  )

Edit: Please correct me if I'm wrong. Been using it for a very long time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 03:09:08 PM by hlecter »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 03:22:28 PM »
Tech: Original Poster=OP  (I hope :)  )
Thanks... living and learning  8)

Edit: Please correct me if I'm wrong. Been using it for a very long time.
Correct? For what?
Maybe I've read your posts but I was too lazy to ask  ;)
The best things in life are free.