Author Topic: Standard shield is destroying my program  (Read 2843 times)

lde

Standard shield is destroying my program
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »
I have a critical program that needs to apend a file from time to time.  It keeps saying it can't apend the file, and I suspect standard sheild is causing the problem.  I turned it off, and the problem went away.  I don't want any of the shields scanning this program or any of its data files. 

The file in question has a csv extension, BTW.  How do I make EVERY shield leave this program, and all of its 300 or so data files, in many subfolders, alone?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard shield is destroying my program
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:23:13 PM »
What is the sensitivity of standard shield ?

Well this sounds strange as avast doesn't block but scans and alerts you if there is a problem. Have you had any alerts or warnings, if so what ?
What keeps saying you can't append the file ?
What is the program, .csv file name and location ?
You can add the file/s to the exclusions (standard shield and program settings) as wildcards * can be used to achieve this easier. Are the data files all the same file type, e.g. csv, etc. ?

Since a true .csv (Comma Separated Value) file is only a text file and not an executable file I'm unsure if it would be scanned if standard shield is on Normal (default) sensitivity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:28:20 PM »
I pretty much doubt it's related to Standard Shield (why would it make these files in the first place?).
Last time i checked, these files were most commonly used for checksum storing...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 12:16:29 AM »
I don't believe that lde is saying standard shield is creating the files, rather it is scanning data files created or modified by his critical program, which hasn't been mentioned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lde

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 05:06:21 AM »
What is the sensitivity of standard shield ?

Well this sounds strange as avast doesn't block but scans and alerts you if there is a problem.

Normal.  I've heard from the other program's tech support (an add on to Trade Station, a financial charting program), and it was the way I had their program set up, and not Avast at all. 

Trade Station has a lot of compatibility problems with antivirus software, primarily Norton, but also others, so I'm very quick to suspect the poor antivirus scanner, which is working hard for me.

So, sorry, thanks for the reply, and nevermind.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:27:44 PM »
No problem, thanks for the feedback on the cause of the problem, welcome to the forums.