Author Topic: NEW Version: 19.7 (July/August 2019)  (Read 93047 times)

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
NEW Version: 19.7 (July/August 2019)
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »
Hello, please do welcome Avast version 19.7
(19.7.2388)

What's exciting here that we have officially launched the new Antivirus portfolio, effectively sun-setting Pro, Internet Security, and Premier while replacing it with Premium Security. In a nutshell, this means that from now on, all paid AV features are available to all AV customers (yey!) and there are no more paid AV tiers. And we have this in Single and Multi-Device flavors. Multi-Device subscription is supporting platforms: Win, Mac OS, iOS and Android.

Of course, in reality, it is a bit more complicated than that - users would be migrated in waves during several upcoming weeks - but we're getting closer to a neat and tidy AV portfolio.

The whole license migration matrix is a beast, but these examples should cover the majority of cases:
  • Avast Premier users (all seat variants) -> Avast Premium Security Multi-Device
  • Avast Internet Security 1 Seat -> Avast Premium Security
  • Avast Internet Security 3+ Seats ->  Avast Premium Security Multi-Device
  • Avast Pro 1 Seat -> Avast Premium Security
  • Avast Pro 3+ Seats ->  Avast Premium Security Multi-device

If you want to check the status of your license, head to My Subscriptions and check your subscription (for multi-device variants, this word needs to be mentioned specifically in the subscription name - if it is not, it means it was not yet migrated).   

We aim to support new program versions of IS and PRO for several upcoming months - we would stop releasing new versions sometimes in early 2020.

Hope you do welcome this change as we do.

Some of the other features/fixes in this release:
  • We can now automatically shut down your PC after a Full, Targeted, or Custom scan
  • Quick Scans can now be added to your custom scans and scheduled for any time you’d like
  • Added an option to Enable/Disable QUIC scanning in Settings
  • Separating consents for Google Analytics and Jumpshot tracking in Settings
  • Fixed issue in explorer scan where toaster was displayed just on the first occasion
  • Fixed memory leak in aswStm.sys driver
  • Fixed not working mail messages in Mozilla Thunderbird
  • Fix of occasional blocking of MS Windows 10 update by self-defense
  • Fix of problems with nested virtualization (VBox/VMware)Affected Products and Release Date 

How to install:

1. Update from your existing Avast version via Settings -> Update -> Update program

2. Or you can download and install from here:

Online installers (recommended):

(For Premium Security, just use Premier URLs for now - later on, we would amend these.)

Offline installers:

We hope you enjoy the new version!
AVAST Team 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:29:18 AM by benko »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: NEW Version: 19.7 (July/August 2019)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:31 AM »
These two threads offer a commentary on 19.7 update before @benko issued this one:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228892.0
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228905.0

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
A new checkbox has been added: "Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis of product performance and usage".

It is checked by default. This is shady.

The submenu where this checkbox, and others (also checked by default) are found has been renamed from "Personal Privacy" to "Data settings".

This is extra shady.

Why is Avast actively trying to obfuscate privacy settings from Avast Free users? This behavior erodes trust.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:08:25 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:17:06 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
<snip>
Some of the other features/fixes in this release:
  • We can now automatically shut down your PC after a Full, Targeted, or Custom scan
  • Quick Scans can now be added to your custom scans and scheduled for any time you’d like
  • Added an option to Enable/Disable QUIC scanning in Settings
  • Separating consents for Google Analytics and Jumpshot tracking in Settings
  • Fixed issue in explorer scan where toaster was displayed just on the first occasion
  • Fixed memory leak in aswStm.sys driver
  • Fixed not working mail messages in Mozilla Thunderbird
  • Fix of occasional blocking of MS Windows 10 update by self-defense
  • Fix of problems with nested virtualization (VBox/VMware)Affected Products and Release Date 

<snip>
@Rundvleeskroket
I assume it relates to item I have set bold in the list above.
Indeed it was set by default on my settings after the update, which is sneaky.
Also is not described in "Learn more..".
I previously posted about it here, which I fear may now get lost in the noise.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228892.msg1515887#msg1515887

Offline MuuGi

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
Can't update, it just runs for a minute saying installing the update, after that red text 'Something went wrong and the update failed. Try again.' Currently having v. 19.6.2383 -  19.6.4546.517.

But that's it it can't update how many times you try. Also trying to update virus db takes like half hour and won't finish.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:46:54 AM by MuuGi »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
@Rundvleeskroket
I assume it relates to item I have set bold in the list above.
Indeed it was set by default on my settings after the update, which is sneaky.

Since I had the previous checkboxes unchecked, a separation of one of those checkboxes into two new ones should never be able to result in a checked checkbox.

Avast, please explain yourselves!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:40:06 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Pako7

• Poster
  • 18 years with Avast and i still recommend it
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:10:02 PM »
Can't update, it just runs for a minute saying installing the update, after that red text 'Something went wrong and the update failed. Try again.' Currently having v. 19.6.2383 -  19.6.4546.517.

But that's it it can't update how many times you try. Also trying to update virus db takes like half hour and won't finish.

Have you tried using the above links not updating by UI?
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 16GB Ram/ avast! Premire 20.3.2405 (Build 20.3.5200.561) / Chromium Edge Version 81.0.416.72 (Official build) (64-bit), Avast Cleanup ,avast! mobile security

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the new release :)
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
(19.7.2388)

What's exciting here that we have officially launched the new Antivirus portfolio, effectively sun-setting Pro, Internet Security, and Premier while replacing it with Premium Security.

In a nutshell, this means that from now on, all paid AV features are available to all AV customers (yey!) and there are no more paid AV tiers. And we have this in Single and Multi-Device flavors. Multi-Device subscription is supporting platforms: Win, Mac OS, iOS and Android.
<snip>
<snip>
AVAST Team 

You haven't mentioned Avast Ultimate, see https://www.avast.com/compare-antivirus, so not all "paid AV features are available to all AV customers." 

Or am I confused ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MuuGi

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »
Have you tried using the above links not updating by UI?

Not yet. Never tried that before, for years I have updated through the UI. Guess I'm gonna wait avast to fix their program.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »
(19.7.2388)

What's exciting here that we have officially launched the new Antivirus portfolio, effectively sun-setting Pro, Internet Security, and Premier while replacing it with Premium Security.

In a nutshell, this means that from now on, all paid AV features are available to all AV customers (yey!) and there are no more paid AV tiers. And we have this in Single and Multi-Device flavors. Multi-Device subscription is supporting platforms: Win, Mac OS, iOS and Android.
<snip>
<snip>
AVAST Team 

You haven't mentioned Avast Ultimate, see https://www.avast.com/compare-antivirus, so not all "paid AV features are available to all AV customers." 

Or am I confused ?
I believe Ultimate is just a bundle of other paid products. As an Antivirus, Premier is the highest tier.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 01:54:34 PM »
A new checkbox has been added: "Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis of product performance and usage".

The submenu where this checkbox, and others (also checked by default) are found has been renamed from "Personal Privacy" to "Data settings".

This is extra shady.

Why is Avast actively trying to obfuscate privacy settings from Avast Free users? This behavior erodes trust.
Still looks like Personal Privacy to me?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »
(19.7.2388)

<snip>
<snip>
AVAST Team 

Or am I confused ?
I believe Ultimate is just a bundle of other paid products. As an Antivirus, Premier is the highest tier.
That's correct, Ultimate is a license bundle.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
This is extra shady.

Hi, allow me to explain the data consents as it seems to be bothering some of you.

It is indeed a separation of the consent, not fabricating a new one that was previously not there.

The checkbox of sharing the data with 3rd party in older version covered both:
  • sharing to the external analytical tool (such as Google Analytics) that we use solely for our own purposes - observing how users navigate through the app, how often do they open UI, bug reports, etc.
  • sharing anonymised and aggregated data with other companies for business and trend analysis (so sharing data with Jumpshot).

To allow for more flexibility and transparency in user choices, we have now separated both consents while absolutely respecting the choice that the user has done in the past regarding the Jumpshot data sharing (now called Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis and trends, business and marketing). If you chose to not share this with us in the past as the part of the aggregated consent, we are keeping the checkbox off. There's nothing unfair about it.

We decided to put the GA tracking checkbox (now called Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis of product performance and usage) as checked by default as that is the norm and standard in the online world. We do not consider this a sneaky action. The absolute majority of users have never ever tempered with these settings so it is not like we are trying to fool them and shadily flip them to our desired setup. It's industry standard to have GA (and such) tracking in opt-out mode.

We are not trying to hide it, on contrary, as you can see - we are actually listing this in the release notes here on the forum so we are making you guys aware. What more - there are additional data-consent flows being created in the app, that we would introduce soon, along with making Jumpshot consent as opt-in.

It is true that the Personal Privacy section in the Help part of the UI was not yet updated, sorry for that - this would happen soon. Avast privacy policy covers all this at depth and is well updated - https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:34:39 PM by benko »