Author Topic: Virus definitions  (Read 74554 times)

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Virus definitions
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2019, 02:09:53 AM »
This is just stupid! I had uninstalled Avast from my computer and cell phone due to the issue with virus definitions updates (I didn't use Avast for one week), and I read that the issue with the lack of virus definitions updates was solved. I uninstalled the other antivirus that I was using, and reinstalled Avast on my computer and cell phone.

Today, October 24th 2019, I just found out that Avast is up to date on my cell phone (It was updated on October 24th 2019), but my computer is not receiving virus definitions updates again. Avast stopped receiving updates yesterday, October 23rd 2019, and today it didn't receive any updates. Is this the second round of Avast for Windows not working as it should?...Depressing!
Not receiving a VPS update isn't the same as not receiving updates. If you're on-line, you are receiving a streaming update approximately every 6 min.
That has never stopped. All the VPS update does is consolidate the streaming updates so you don't have hundreds of files for each date.
Protection never stopped. Only the consolidation was delayed.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
When this will be fixed? Still 191023-2 but stream is working,UI ver.1.0.415
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline max_headroom

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
Personally as long as I know I'm being updated, the cosmetics really don't mean a thing to me.
Security is important all other things take a back seat for me.

But to make sure you are updated you now have to go to the update folder which isn't really a cosmetic thing and it certainly isn't  user friendly.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:09:42 PM by max_headroom »

Offline max_headroom

« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2019, 04:05:51 PM »

I'm not totally sure what exactly the status is between UI and corresponding Folders at the moment.
However I'm getting frustrated at having to constantly verify def base.
Shouldn't be so confusing (for many) and Inconsistent.
IMHO this needs to be cleared up and resolved.....UI bug or not.

I couldn't agree more.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
<snip quote>
But to make sure you are updated you now have to go to the update folder which isn't really a cosmetic thing and it certainly isn't  user friendly.

Just how difficult is it to create a desktop shortcut to the defs folder (seconds and your done), no more ("which isn't really a cosmetic thing and it certainly isn't  user friendly."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline max_headroom

« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »
<snip quote>

Just how difficult is it to create a desktop shortcut to the defs folder (seconds and your done), no more ("which isn't really a cosmetic thing and it certainly isn't  user friendly."

I will ignore your  "no more" request above and again  point out having to set up a shortcut to the folder  is not user friend even though you don't see it the same way!

I made a shortcut to the folder as soon as i found its location if i asked my parents to do the same they wouldn't have a clue where to start as they are not as experienced in using a PC as you obviously are! (and that goes for most PC/laptop users of a certain age)

You are also missing the point that unless you are a member here you will have no idea there is a defs folder so will assume Avast updates are no longer working and will simply move to a different free AV and i wonder how many have already done that.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:43:22 PM by max_headroom »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »
@ max_headroom

Obviously this is all too much for you to deal with, if these were my parents (deceased) I would certainly be spending time explaining what to do.

So I won't waste any further time (yours or mine) on it.

Many forum members are of a certain age and try to help others much younger.    One such forum member is  bob3160 who spends a lot of time either visiting seniors computer clubs around the USA or doing remote presentations for them.

Just because we are seniors, doesn't mean we have to stop learning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline max_headroom

« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2019, 05:39:15 PM »
Obviously this is all too much for you to deal with, if these were my parents (deceased) I would certainly be spending time explaining what to do.

I don't know where you get  the impression its too much for me to deal with as i said above i did deal with my own and i would go to my parents and help them if they needed it but the problem here is they wouldn't  know help was available they would assume Avast updates were broken and would  switch to another AV where they worked, the defs folder is not part of the normal update process its a  means for us that do know there is a problem to make sure the defs are up to date. (peace of mind)

Just because we are seniors, doesn't mean we have to stop learning.
I never said you should 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:02:01 PM by max_headroom »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2019, 07:11:50 PM »
Personally as long as I know I'm being updated, the cosmetics really don't mean a thing to me.

Do you have to monitor avast to know? should it not give a error message if it is not updated?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2019, 07:33:27 PM »

Do you have to monitor avast to know? should it not give a error message if it is not updated?

I've haven't received any "error message" lately and have a beta installation (Virus Defs) sitting at Oct 22 (no error message) and Stable version (Virus Defs) sitting at Oct 23 (no error message)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2019, 07:52:57 PM »

I've haven't received any "error message" lately and have a beta installation (Virus Defs) sitting at Oct 22 (no error message) and Stable version (Virus Defs) sitting at Oct 23 (no error message)
But you recive stream updates, so it is updated ?    hence no error Message and no need to worry

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:53:49 AM by Pondus »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2019, 04:46:18 AM »
Hi guys, latest VPS update here is 191024-4.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2019, 05:42:40 AM »
Hi guys, latest VPS update here is 191024-4.
I am using Emsisoft Emergency Kit for offline virus database for now because it still at 191023-2 when it will be normal again?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:45:43 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline max_headroom

« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »

But you recive stream updates, so it is updated ?    hence no error Message and no need to worry

Today's manual update is showing  191023-2

It maybe an age thing but i like to update my PC manually when i boot it and see conformation it is updated i don't want to rely on not getting an error message as conformation it is up to date.

I know we can check the Defs folder to see if streaming updates are working correctly and i will continue  to do so but this is not how Avast is supposed to work and that is why many here are not happy with the situation.

How do you check if steaming updates are working on an android  tablet or phone?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:24:42 PM by max_headroom »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
It maybe an age thing but i like to update my PC manually when i boot it and see conformation it is updated i don't want to rely on not getting an error message as conformation it is up to date.

I know we can check the Defs folder to see if streaming updates are working correctly and i will continue  to do so but this is not how Avast is supposed to work and that is why many here are not happy with the situation
To me this looks like you are using a program you dont trust?