Author Topic: INCREDIBLY HIGH internet traffic to bits.avcdn.net  (Read 10855 times)

Offline hillsinc

INCREDIBLY HIGH internet traffic to bits.avcdn.net
« on: April 27, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
We use Avast Business  Management Console ON PREMISE ver 7.16.751  We have a master agent and local update server configured and functional.  All updates had been being served by our local update server.  Since 04/23/2020 we have seen an incredibly high amount of internet traffic going to bits.avcdn.net  We have a 100MB dedicated fiber connection to the internet which is being FULLY CONSUMED with traffic to that site.  In a 48 hour timespan over 815 GB of data was downloaded.  That is INSANE!  I have been forced to block all traffic to bits.avcdn.net until I can resolve this.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?  I have verified all the settings yet ALL my internal clients are trying to download many, many, MANY gigabytes from your website instead of using the local update server.
Regards

Offline Mr.Ingvar

Re: INCREDIBLY HIGH internet traffic to bits.avcdn.net
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »
At the moment I can confirm this problem, but most of my clients work fine. Downloading going only a few pcs, but is abnormal thet client continuously downloading something!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 11:46:51 AM »
Sounds like the mirror may be doing some kind of download in error. Does the firewall show the system running the mirror as the source/destination  of the traffic
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline tomsc

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 02:14:42 PM »
Hello, I can confirm the issue happening with some outdated Agent version (namely 4.16 and older) where Agent were continuously requesting an update to 4.19.

Yesterday we released fix so the update process will work again for both Cloud and On-Premise. We will work on mitigating the issue so it won't happen again in the future.

Can you confirm that your active Agents are now on version 4.19 (and newer) ?

Offline Mr.Ingvar

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 07:09:08 PM »
The problem really was the continuosly updating of the agent. I'm downloading a new installer package (light version) from admin console and installing it manually on problem machines after I kill CCUpgrade.exe in Task Manager, then it looks like the problem is gone. Agents updates without rebot. Thank you tomsc for help.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:10:51 PM by Mr.Ingvar »

Offline hillsinc

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 07:19:04 PM »
Thank you tomsc for the confirmation.
Some of the clients have updated to the latest agent version and software version, some have not.  I have not discerned the pattern.  We will manually update the remaining problem clients as they do not appear to want to update automatically.  After that, I will allow traffic to bits.avcdn.net and see if traffic continues to originate from all clients or just the mirror server.
In the meantime, I have opened a case with tech support and provided logs for both the mirror server and one of the problem PCs.

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
Thank you tomsc for the confirmation.
Some of the clients have updated to the latest agent version and software version, some have not.  I have not discerned the pattern.  We will manually update the remaining problem clients as they do not appear to want to update automatically.  After that, I will allow traffic to bits.avcdn.net and see if traffic continues to originate from all clients or just the mirror server.
In the meantime, I have opened a case with tech support and provided logs for both the mirror server and one of the problem PCs.

Sorry for the late response. If you don't mind me asking, what was the case/ticket number? I wanted to follow what happened (or still is happening).
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support