Author Topic: My two concerns with Avast!  (Read 20599 times)

Tipton

My two concerns with Avast!
« on: January 20, 2004, 06:02:24 PM »
Ok, this post is typed with all due respect for Avast AV, and its creators! My wife and I recently both un-installed Norton AV from our PC's. The reason was, because of recent Symantec issues, and our subscriptions were up soon. She installed AVG free on her system, and I installed Avast home edition on mine. We have both been using these AV's for about two weeks now.  AVG seems to work well on her system, and does what she wants. I however find that Avast is far more configurable, both in its look, and in its scanning process. I like the fact that it has verbal announcements, different skins, scans fairly fast, and just looks good on my system!  ;D However, there are two things that I dislike about Avast. One thing I already mentioned here in another thread on the forum. My shutdown time has increased after installing Avast. And of course my re-boot time also suffers. Not that big of a deal, but AVG does not produce this issue. Maybe Avasts resident scanner is more complex than AVG's, and more time is required to shut it down, I really don't know. I even terminated the resident scanner before shutting down, and it still took awhile. The second thing that I have noticed with Avast installed, is that my hard drive occasionally chugs away during the time I am using my PC. This will happen while I am sitting idle reading a web page, and not even navagating with my system. I use imaging software, so to test this issue, I imaged back to before I installed Avast. The hard drive churning vanaished. Again, this issue is not present with AVG.

Anyway, those are my two beefs with Avast, but other than that, I would go so far as to say that Avast blows AVG out of the water on all other aspects of the software. I even like it alot better than Norton AV. I would consider buying the pay version of Avast, if only to get the script blocker. My only concerns, are the two items I mentioned above.

Douglas

galaxyclass

Re:My two concerns with Avast!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
I don't know enough about Avast to explain the shutdown speed compared to AVG, but the hard drive activity you mention might be Avast creating the VRDB (Virus Recovery Database) which is used to restore your files to their original state if they are damaged, you can set the VRDB to run while your comp. is idle (like when you were reading a webpage) or when the screen saver kicks in. When it's running you'll see the "i" icon in your task bar will animate, it's updated every 3 weeks by default. I'm sure this is why but if the guys from Alwil could confirm. :)

Tipton

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 06:44:17 PM »
The hard drive activety occurs at every computer session. It is just an occasional hard drive churning that happens off and on, the entire time I am using my PC. And like I mentioned, it will happen when my system is just idle as well. I realize that hard drive activety occurs when you are actually clicking on items, and navagating around, but this happens during idle time as well.

Douglas
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 06:46:00 PM by Tipton »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 07:23:36 PM »
So it's not the VRDB?
Try disabling the VRDB and see if it helps.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Tipton

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 07:37:13 PM »
Well how often does the VRDB run? Is it every three weeks like mentioned by notdarkyet ? I would really like to figure it out. I can live with the slower shut down, but the hard drive churning is a bit annoying.

Douglas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 08:16:37 PM »
Well how often does the VRDB run? Is it every three weeks like mentioned by notdarkyet ? I would really like to figure it out. I can live with the slower shut down, but the hard drive churning is a bit annoying.

Douglas

Yes, Douglas, 21 days is the default (you can change the [VRDB] section of avast4.ini file. More information about the avast4.ini file you can see here).

How do you connect to the Internet? Maybe avast! settings for update have to be configurated too... (just a shot in the dark because or the 'churning').  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Tipton

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 08:33:23 PM »
I connect to the internet using DSL. I have the updates set up for automatic. I have had no problems at all with virus def updates.

Douglas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 08:38:07 PM »
I connect to the internet using DSL. I have the updates set up for automatic. I have had no problems at all with virus def updates.

Douglas

So, the only thing we have is the VRDB? Are you sure that the providers aren't scanning anything because, in background, some file is accessed by other program, you are making a silent backup, ... you know, are you sure the computer is idle?  :-\

Don't forget to configure your VRDB concerning to your needs.
The best things in life are free.

Tipton

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 08:45:46 PM »
I have the VRDB set up to run when the screen saver comes on.

Douglas ???

bassbag

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 09:38:40 PM »
Maybe worth using a prog such as taskinfo ?
http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo_screenshot.html
that will shows cpu usage /mem etc read writes to disk , for each application opened,to pinpoint the culprit.There is a 30 day trial.
me

Tipton

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 12:41:39 AM »
Is there any other comments as far as the slow shut down and re-boot that Avast creates when it is installed? It adds at least 20 extra seconds to the shut down. If I remove Avast, shut down is normal again. I have tried alot of the other AV's, and only one other one did the same thing as Avast. Thanks!

Douglas

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 01:21:28 AM »
Shoutdown time has increased on my dell laptop bt 15 seconds but its a very small price for one great AV program ;D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Tipton

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 02:09:27 AM »
So a longer shutdown after installing Avast, is a known trait?

Douglas

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 02:16:18 AM »
To some of us it is. Its annoying but harmless.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 07:15:12 AM »
Slow shutdown: does it help if you stop the 'avast antivirus' service right before shutting down the puter?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.