Author Topic: Avast going nuts after today's update (solved)  (Read 17847 times)

JimC1702

Avast going nuts after today's update (solved)
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:14:26 AM »
I'm very careful online and I rarely get an alert from Avast.  And I did a full scan a couple of days ago.  But since the virus definitions updated this evening I'm getting constant alerts and I had to shut it off.

The first one was wmjoyfrc.dll.  It moved it to the chest and then my Logitech wheel would no longer work.  I restored it, but it still wouldn't work.  Had to download new drivers from Logitech to get it working and Avast reports those as well.

I ran the file through TotalVirus and there was nothing at all detected by any software other than Avast.  I don't like running with Avast shut off, but it's going nuts.  Something seems haywire in this update.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 11:07:23 AM by kubecj »

JimC1702

Re: Avast going nuts after today's update
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 03:44:24 AM »
I did an exclusion for WmJoyFrc.dll but Avast still alerts on it.  My Logitech wheel will not work anymore with Avast running but it works fine if I shut off Avast.

I just talked to someone else who uses Avast and they are getting many alerts since the update also.

PunkT

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 03:51:55 AM »
im having the same problems with some .dll files for my games, ever since this evening

gemada

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:27:11 AM »
Avast started detecting the remote administration software i use (radmin) as malware after today's vps update. i use it on hundreds of computers at many client sites. never had a problem with it in the past. i have used both avast and radmin together for years. :(

WoodroweBones

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 04:30:13 AM »
This last update seems like a good candidate for a rollback. Many of us are having problems with our TightVNC services as well and I have even seen others reporting gaming devices being affected.

gemada

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 04:32:13 AM »
i sure hope they fix it by the morning. its 8:30 pm here and all hell could break loose in the morning if this isn't fixed.

madmack

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 04:33:38 AM »
I'm glad i'm not the only one on this.
avast starting detecting many .dll files as Adware-gen. although i'm quite sure they aren't, as they are some games, and programs i use. try roboform for example. both roboform.dll and trayicon.exe get flagged as Adware-gen.
we need some other update to counter this one !

Daminite

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 06:14:33 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 07:12:44 AM by Daminite »

Meanie

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 07:06:23 AM »
Hello. I've just registered here to report the same problem.
I'm a home user of Avast but a really careful one. *Really* careful about my internet and files.

I was playing a game using my wheel tonight when the auto update happened.
A short time after that i've got the report that wmjoyfrc.dll, located at windows\system32 was infected by a worm:

NetSky-BG

Man... i uninstalled my wheel (that .dll is used by the wheel, it is a Logitech Force Feedback something heh..) at once and then went nuts on the next two hours scanning my system using possible means.

Turned out pristine clean every time...
And then even after i downloaded the wheel driver again from Logitech, Avast would come and tell me it was infected again heh...

So yeah, i'm pretty sure it's not infected and that we need a fix for it, i"ll wait.
But in the mean time there's anything that i can do to "ignore" that and at least make use of my wheel again? Tomorrow is a holiday and i would like to play my racing games hehe!

Thanks for your time!

And i'm sorry about my poor english, i'm from Brazil.

Cheers.

Daminite

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 07:17:23 AM »
Hello. I've just registered here to report the same problem.
I'm a home user of Avast but a really careful one. *Really* careful about my internet and files.

I was playing a game using my wheel tonight when the auto update happened.
A short time after that i've got the report that wmjoyfrc.dll, located at windows\system32 was infected by a worm:

NetSky-BG

Man... i uninstalled my wheel (that .dll is used by the wheel, it is a Logitech Force Feedback something heh..) at once and then went nuts on the next two hours scanning my system using possible means.

Turned out pristine clean every time...
And then even after i downloaded the wheel driver again from Logitech, Avast would come and tell me it was infected again heh...

So yeah, i'm pretty sure it's not infected and that we need a fix for it, i"ll wait.
But in the mean time there's anything that i can do to "ignore" that and at least make use of my wheel again? Tomorrow is a holiday and i would like to play my racing games hehe!

Thanks for your time!

And i'm sorry about my poor english, i'm from Brazil.

Cheers.

a temporary fix is to pause or stop the standard shield. it seems to re-enable disabled apps

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 08:56:26 AM »
In the avast Standard Shield click the Customize button > Advanced tab ...

There is a box where clicking the "Add" button will allow you to add the path and filename of a file that you want to be excluded from avast scanning.  You can add the filename that you believe to be a false positive so that you can continue normal operation until the avast team have a chance to take care of a false positive in an upcoming VPS update.

Meanie

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:09 AM »
Thanks a lot for the prompt support  :D

okeyesten

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 11:57:49 AM »
Have encountered nothing but problems since update..ie-Logitech worm warnings. Made exception for Logitech folder, and above mentioned .dll file...all working again now. Please fix this..thanks.

marcocale

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 12:31:32 PM »

The first one was wmjoyfrc.dll. 

Same here  ???

marcocale

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »
My problem has been already fixed with new VPS 0645-1  :)