Author Topic: "Update error"  (Read 16406 times)

jeffy8

"Update error"
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:39:33 AM »
I keep getting this red box popping up telling me that there was an error during update.  It says "click here for more inforomation" or something and I click and nothing happens.  I have the home edition and these problems began around the time that my license was expiring.  I got a new license key but can't shake this problem.  Can anyone help?
Thanks !
-jeff the chef

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: "Update error"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:49:16 AM »
Check the log file. Right click the "a" icon, click avast! log viewer, and click the error button. Post any info here. With more info, someone will probably be able to help you

Welcome to the forum!

jeffy8

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:45:37 PM »
So I checked the Log Viewer and here's what I got.
    Under the 'warning' tab:
    --"Funtion setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed.  Return code is 0x2000000A, dwRes is 2000000A"
    --"An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs."

Under the 'error' tab:
   --"Error in library avUInt: Active skin not installed or not registered properly"

Thanks !

tls

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »
I did a search on your error message and found this information:

Generally, you need to check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

HTH

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »
So I checked the Log Viewer and here's what I got.
    Under the 'warning' tab:
    --"Funtion setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed.  Return code is 0x2000000A, dwRes is 2000000A"
    --"An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs."

Under the 'error' tab:
   --"Error in library avUInt: Active skin not installed or not registered properly"

Thanks !
The error tab may provide a clue. This assumes you are running XP.

Try Windows, Run and type:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setiface.dll",RunSetup
What do you get?

Or

About the "usigetskin failed" issue, if the avast! repair does not solve it:
You will have to register ACTSKIN4.OCX
Follow the instructions:

Select START -> RUN...
Enter the following command:
If you have Windows NT or 2000:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
If you have Windows 95, 98 or ME:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
If you have Windows XP:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
If you have Windows x64:
"C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\REGSVR32.EXE" ACTSKIN4.OCX
Press OK (or Enter).
A message saying that the file was successfully registered should appear...

For some reason, ActiveSkin (the 3rd party library avast uses for skinning) does not seem to be working on your system. As a workaround, we may disable skinning in avast - that should solve the problem. Program Settings, Common, and uncheck any option with skins mentioned (see image, avast-no-skin).
If you are unable to access the above you can do this manually. To do that, open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry: StartWithSkin=0
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 08:26:45 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kubecj

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 09:43:10 AM »
2000000A means there is another instance of updater running. It seems that the previous instance hanged. Check the log (avast4\setup\setup.log)

noadware

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 09:46:05 AM »
Hi,

Usually when I got software problems like that sort I just remove them, uninstall them!

Then re install and enter new license key. Most often that solves the problem.

Karl

agent_logic

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »
It seems a lot of people are having problem with updates. I posted my problem in another topic, but haven't gotten any replies. So I'm posting it here, with the hope of getting some help.

Hey there,

I have the same problem... almost. I get an error (a little red square pops up on the bottom right corner instead of the green one) saying "There was a problem updating. Click for more information". When I click, nothing happens. I tried manually downloading the updates and installing, but I get another error saying: "Can't install VPS update. Please, report following errorcodes:

Ver 4.7.892
SI: 0x00000002
ST: 0x00000002
LE: 0x00000000.

The avast log says: Function SetifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 00000002.

My updates have not expired, I don't have a firewall and neither do I connect through a proxy. Any ideas? >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 03:12:03 AM »
Update errors check list:

Basically, check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
The best things in life are free.

agent_logic

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 05:25:26 AM »
Update errors check list:

Basically, check:

Hey,

The .def file is not 0 kb (though I don't know how to verify if its corrupt). I don't have a firewall, and I don't connect through a proxy. I just got a new reg key (4 days ago), so that is out of the question too.

Don't the error details I provided help a bit?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »
Did you replace the servers.def file?

agent_logic

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 04:51:15 PM »
I tried that, but I'm getting a "read only" error even after making the folder read/write. I guess I have to stop avast! first. I will try that and get back at ya.

agent_logic

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 04:55:59 PM »
Nope, no luck. I'm getting an error "make sure the disk isn't write protected" even after changing the read only properties. Any ideas?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 09:16:30 PM »

I tried that, but I'm getting a "read only" error even after making the folder read/write. I guess I have to stop avast! first. I will try that and get back at ya.

What about the file itself?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 09:27:56 PM »
Nope, no luck. I'm getting an error "make sure the disk isn't write protected" even after changing the read only properties. Any ideas?
Are you the administrator of the computer?
If you right click the file servers.def and choose properties, removing the read-only attribute, will you allowed to overwrite that file?
Did you try uninstall > boot > install avast again > boot?
The best things in life are free.