Author Topic: Mail scanner not working  (Read 5601 times)

jrussell9

Mail scanner not working
« on: January 29, 2004, 02:29:51 PM »
I run Avast 4 Home under XP, which has been working much better for me than Kaspersky was.

Having received a series of infected emails in the last couple of days I realised my email scanner was not operating. Outlook/Exchange and Internet Mail both say 'The ... Provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.'

Since I use MS Outlook 2002, I tried to set up Avast to check my mail using the wizard. This is POP and SMTP via Yahoo. I also have a second account with my ISP which I haven't tried to configure for virus checking.

This didn't work so I switched to manual setting, following the instructions in the help file. The Internet Mail provider now shows that it is running and checking incoming mail, in fact it stopped an infected message.

However when I test the account (or try to use it) Outlook reports that it logs in to the incoming mail server  Then it displays the error message: 'Send test e-mail message: Unable to send test Message. Please verify the Email Address field.'

I've attached a jpeg of the first dialog box. Can you suggest what the problem is?

jrussell9

Re:Mail scanner not working
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 02:49:03 PM »
By the way I notice that although the Internet Mail provider is running, and shows the last inbound message it has checked, the Outlook/Exchange provider says it is 'waiting for a subsystem to start'.

And here's the second page of settings for SMTP

Hope someone can help, thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 03:04:47 PM »
Since your using Outlook, forget the Wizard and also put back your original credentials and server details to the account settings.

You will want to use the Outlook/Exchange provider instead.

First thing to check - open the About box in Outlook, click Disabled Items, and make sure the avast add-in is not listed. If it is, just delete it and you're all set...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jrussell9

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 12:20:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I've done that, but get the same error message when I test my email account from within Outlook 2002: 'Send test e-mail message: Unable to send test Message. Please verify the Email Address field.' However I did manage to send myself a short test message.

Checking Avast, the Internet Mail says 'The provider is currently running', but it isn't checking my inbound mail.

Outlook/Exchange says 'The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.'

Outlook 2002 Help About doesn't show any disabled items.

What should I do to start the Outlook/Exchange provider?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 12:44:43 PM »
Send test e-mail message: Unable to send test Message. Please verify the Email Address field.' However I did manage to send myself a short test message.

Well first set Outlook up so that it doesn't use avast at all. Therefore, you should get to the state that your mail traffic works but is not scanned.

Next, proceed to activating the Outlook/Exchange provider (that does not require any tweaking with server details etc.)

What should I do to start the Outlook/Exchange provider?

OK, let's try this: in Outlook, go to Tools -> Options, click the Other tab, click Advanced Options, click Add-In Manager and make sure that the box next to "avast! 4" is ticked.

Vlk

jrussell9

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »
OK I've done that.

The situation now is that the On-Access Scanner shows under both Outlook/Exchange and Internet Mail installed provider buttons that 'The provider is currently paused'. Neither are checking my incoming or outgoing mail.

MS Outlook 2002 under Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options, Add-In Manager lists 'avast! 4' and the box is checked. I assume it should be running.

Can you please advise how to start mail scanning?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 01:40:27 PM »
Paused?

Well, if paused, then just hit the Continue... button.

But it seems very strange to me that they're paused -- have you every paused them? They wouldn't pause themselves just like that... :)