Author Topic: SIGNATURES UPDATE SPEED  (Read 6275 times)

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
SIGNATURES UPDATE SPEED
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
i'm just wondering if alwil team is trying to improve the signatures update speed coz its quite slow..i sent  a infected file to virus@avast.com zipped and password-protected and i also sent it via virus chest but still not response in the latest singature update(i sent it 6days ago)..i hope alwil will improve its update speed coz avast is a rly good AV and has many many users(customers)..

cheers,George :)
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: SIGNATURES UPDATE SPEED
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »
Same complain everytime from everyone... What can we feel regarding to this? Shame...
I hope someday we can see a fast submission/update method...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »
There is another option and that is the FTP upload.

You can use the ftp server to upload big files. Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming - Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:45:46 PM »
There is another option and that is the FTP upload.
But David, the problem is not sending the file but having the signatures added to the virus database... Why are they taking so much to do so?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:54:31 PM »
Well sending the sample to a lessor used resource may well get a quicker response. 4000+ emails per day at virus @ avast.com, using the chest for submission should receive a greater response as they are coming from within the avast program, otherwise why filter them when they arrive. Likewise I believe there would be less ftp submissions than those from the chest.

Someone has to check all those submission methods I would like to hope my guess on priority would be a reasonable assumption, but clearly it still requires improvement.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zivilist

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »
@DavidR:

can you in publish the ftp-method on http://www.avast.com/eng/technical_support.html (on the bottom)(localized website too)
and in the avast! help files
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:52:08 PM by zivilist »

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:04:11 PM »
alwil should improve its update speed..they have over 1000000 customers and some imrovements are needed..could a member from alwil team reply to this topic and tell us whats going on?i have some friends who want to switch to other free AV(avg unfortunately) and i want to calm them down..i'm dissapointed about this update speed problem but i'm borned to follow AVAST ..  8) improvements are necessary though..

cheers
 :D
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 07:08:42 PM »
i have some friends who want to switch to other free AV(avg unfortunately) and i want to calm them down..i'm dissapointed about this update speed problem but i'm borned to follow AVAST
I won't 'defend' avast, but, from time to time, AVG has worse detection rate. Which is the usefulness of being fast if you're three or four laps back 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 07:22:40 PM »
Well sending the sample to a lessor used resource may well get a quicker response. 4000+ emails per day at virus @ avast.com, using the chest for submission should receive a greater response as they are coming from within the avast program, otherwise why filter them when they arrive. Likewise I believe there would be less ftp submissions than those from the chest.

Someone has to check all those submission methods I would like to hope my guess on priority would be a reasonable assumption, but clearly it still requires improvement.
David, can you check Igor's answer here?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27229.msg221944#msg221944

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »
@DavidR:
can you in publish the ftp-method on http://www.avast.com/eng/technical_support.html (on the bottom)(localized website too)
and in the avast! help files

Well apart from the fact that I'm an avast user like yourself, in another topic one of the Alwil team has stated that the ftp isn't monitored unless they are expecting an upload, only in relation to say being requested to upload a 'large' file, etc by one of the Alwil team. Then they will be aware about it and know what it is in relation to, e.g. the topic where the request for the file to be uploaded.

In this current situation samples might sit unseen in the incoming folder, so based on that I will no longer offer it as an option for sample submission.

@ BJ_GeOrgE
Use your experience of avast to calm them, have you or they suffered an infection that was related to definitely down to slow addition of submissions ?

There is absolutely no way I would go back to AVG for anything like this, it was a real hassle trying to get updates with the free version, let alone any support for the free version. I have no idea of what their submission speed is like, but if you have extreme difficulty in getting updates the speed of submission is a non-issue.

avast will I believe continue to improve as they have in the three years I have been using it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »
There is absolutely no way I would go back to AVG for anything like this, it was a real hassle trying to get updates with the free version, let alone any support for the free version. I have no idea of what their submission speed is like, but if you have extreme difficulty in getting updates the speed of submission is a non-issue.
I feel exactly the same 8)
I've give up on AVG because of lack of updates (available) and lack of configurability.
To not say, lack of forum support, lack of language support, etc. etc.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »
Yes, I too think that Avast has improved over the years, however I believe that Avast can still improve. The good news is that it seems to me that the improvements are coming at a faster pace, keep increasing that pace  ;D
By the way, how is the "new" submition system going ?
When should we be expecting it ?

Thanks

Al968

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 10:29:27 PM »
guys i totally aggree with u..avast is much better than avg..they are competing in the detection rates though..i will never go back to avg..their forum sucks and the program is very limited features..avast for life.. :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »
And that is exactly what you tell those others that need calming. Not to mention the little asides we have all mentioned.

If they still want to leave, there really isn't much you can do but the moment they experience a problem, then they will see the benefit of support, something not often considered.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:33:35 PM by DavidR »

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 11:29:27 PM »
And that is exactly what you tell those others that need calming. Not to mention the little asides we have all mentioned.

If they still want to leave, there really isn't much you can do but the moment they experience a problem, then they will see the benefit of support, something not often considered.

u've right..i have already told them that and i persuaded them..the problem solved..but alwil but improve the speed coz they are gonna lose lots of new comers customers.. ;)