Author Topic: downloaded avast free home software  (Read 10991 times)

angela1

downloaded avast free home software
« on: May 15, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
and now can not access the internet without stopping on access protection - any ideas

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: downloaded avast free home software
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 12:44:52 PM »
Hi angela1,

Do you have a firewall on your computer? For example, Zone Alarm Sunbelt (formerly Kerio)? If so, you must allow the avast! Webshield process to access the internet.

There is usually a dialogue pop-up when you first try to access the internet with Webshield running:

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/support/zasc/gettingStarted.jsp?anchor=alerts&lid=zasupp_u

http://www.geocities.com/dontsurfinthenude/kerio_setup.htm
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

angela1

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 12:59:30 PM »
Hi

Thanks for replying.

Have windows firewall -  allowed access to avast!antivirus but it is not listing avast!webshield if I type this in to search for the programme it is not listed.  Must admit not very computer literate   One other thing th outlook/exchange programme is waiting for a subsystem to start is this anything to do with it.  I also have Mcafee security suite loaded but it was not stopping the CiD popups so that is why I downloaded avast.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »
Windows' firewall does not block outgoing connections, so this will not be the cause of the problem, but McAfee security suite does include a firewall, so this might be causing the problem.

The McAfee Anti-virus may well also conflict with avast!- both will try to check e-mail, so this may be causing the problem with the outlook/exchange subsystem. You will need to uninstall this.

You can replace McAfee firewall with the free version of Zone Alarm, Sunbelt firewall or Comodo firewall, if you want to continue using a third party firewall (recommended!).

CiD popups? What are these? If you are having problems with pop-ups, follow this advice:

Uninstall avast!

Uninstall all McAfee components.

Reinstall and update avast!

Download, install and update all these programs.

AVG Anti-Spyware (Requires Win2k/XP)
a-Squared Free
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy

Grab a copy of Zone Alarm Free, it's probably the most user friendly, or the firewall of your choice:

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Disconnect from the internet (pull the plug).

Run a boot time scan with avast! Right click the scanner screen, select 'schedule a boot time scan' and reboot when requested.

Run scans with the programs above.

Install Zone Alarm free and reconnect to the internet.

Don't forget the info about ZA pop-ups here:

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/support/zasc/gettingStarted.jsp?anchor=alerts&lid=zasupp_u

EDIT: typos.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 01:26:16 PM by FreewheelinFrank »

angela1

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:38:36 PM »
Thankyou,

This will take me ages but will get on with it now and will report back when done.  CiD popups are really annoying they seem to look at what you are searching for and bring up loads of popups some related to your search some not but popup blocker does not stop them and one appears every few seconds.  Dont know if my daughter has infected the laptop by using limewire or something.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »
First of all go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and uninstall CiD Help:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/2046/CiD-Help.html

angela1

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »
CiD help is not listed unless its in with something else.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:56:17 PM »
Have a good look through all the programs installed for anything you don't recognise- check on Google to see if there are any reports that the program is adware/spyware.

Has your daughter installed Messenger Plus!? This program comes bundled with adware. If you find Messenger Plus! installed, remove it.

(Messenger Plus! can be reinstalled but choose the option NOT to accept the 'sponsor program'.)

The programs I listed will remove adware like this, so don't worry if you can't find the guilty program in Add/Remove: one of these scanners will probably get it.

angela1

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »
Thanks

Yes she has got messenger plus so I will follow your advice.  Uninstalled Mcafee so far and can now access the internet with avast running but will still go through all the steps you advised.

Thankyou

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »
Apparently there is an option in Add/Remove just to remove the sponsor program from Messenger Plus!

The CiD pop-up is an optional sponsor for Windows Live! Plus! (messenger addon). Upon installation it will ask you if you whould show your support by allowing it to install intergrated sponsor support (Adware sanctioned my microsoft).

If you have this installed on your PC just go to Control Panel - add/remove programs - and select Microsoft Live Plus and you'll get the option of removing the sponsor support only.

If the above sounds familiar but you've already got rid of the software, re-install it WITH the sponsor support, once installed, turn OFF all your adware and spyware software (never turn your firewll off) and go through the process above, then restart your computer.

Hey Presto!

I worked this out after weeks of trying to get rid of it.

The moral of this story is - Never let your kids download ANYTHING ever again.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=7569

Running the scan will still be advisable as you don't know what else has got on the computer.

angela1

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Hi

Thankyou so much just taking off the sponsers has stopped the CiD popups not had any for 5 mins - brilliant but am still going through all the scans etc.

First time I have ever used a forum but will not hesitate in the future.

Once again thank you for you time.

Angela

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »
You're welcome.

angela1

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 03:37:16 PM »
Hi

Just going through all the scans on AVG, a-squared, Ad Aware and Spybot am I to leave all these on my laptop or uninstall them afterwards.

Thanks

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »
You can leave them all on. AVG Anti-Spyware has resident protection during the trial period and then reverts to on-demand scanning only, which is what the others offer from the beginning.

The AVG Anti-Spyware trial works fine with avast!

On-demand scanners do not take up resources, and do not conflict with each other.

Update and run scans every few weeks or so or if you have problems.

angela1

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 04:39:08 PM »
Hi

Done all the scans etc got rid of loads of rubbish but the outlook/exchange is still not running it is still waiting for a subsystem to start.  Is this a problem.

Regards

Angela