Author Topic: Tweak: your FF or Flock browser faster by heaps!  (Read 45584 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Tweak: your FF or Flock browser faster by heaps!
« on: June 23, 2007, 02:03:31 PM »
Hi malware fighters and users of the Mozilla type browsers like FF or Flock.

GetElementsbyId etc. slows down considerably, to have a more flexible working and faster page loading save the following file as SelectableElementsTable.js inside the components folder of your browser.
The download link for my javascript file is here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/18447141/4fd08f46/SelectableElementsTable.html
File size: 10835 bytes
MD5: 405c4b524f49c958c285bff1c58944c3
SHA1: c2cc25768d16a02d4db8b02e12cab4ae5dec5085

I got reports that the script makes the browser load pages considerably faster. But I like to get back info from you as well as how the script functions inside your FF or Flock browser.

Enjoy,

polonus
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:18:49 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Tweak: your FF or Flock browser faster by heaps!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »
Have you had any experience yourself or just reports ?

As a dial-up user anything to try and speed page loading would be welcome, however, there are methods to pre-load links in the background, etc. that I have found to actually slow the original page load.

So it would be nice if this helped dial-up users.

Probably what I found strange is zero hits on the file name in google, breaking it down to Selectable Elements Table, returns many hits but most that I saw didn't seem related to this .js tool.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:33:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 03:56:43 PM »
Hello DavidR,

For the google results you have to wait a bit because it was my invention, it is the darned first time you spotted this code online, and the name of the beast is mine too.
I would not have put it here, if I did not experience considerable faster loading myself. After posting the code at madamemmastent those that installed it from there reported faster page upload by "truckloads"as they say. The code is existing code, not particularly written for inside the Mozilla browser, I adopted three parts of this code as I found it, made my personal adaptation and  compilation, tested the result security-wise, uploaded it to virustotal with full negatve results. After I had these favourite reactions of others I published the download link here. If it is generally accepted it is a leap forward, because everybody that is truely honest admits that FF or Flock browsers are known not to be "top horses" in these realms as compared to other browsers.
The workings of it as I grasp it is that the browser keeps the elements selected occupied too long to make it any faster when it gets more intricate or the browser gets older, the SelectableElementsTable JavaScript file does what it says it must do:  making a selection on the elements table. You can almost instantly feel the results...
If you have a contrary experience, report that back to me, but I will doubt that.

polonus

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:03:12 PM by polonus »

FastGame

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »
save the following file as SelectableElementsTable.js inside the components folder of your browser.
I use FF Linux, it doesn't have "components folder"  ???

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 04:09:15 PM »
Hi FastGame,

Then you have to download it in the folder where you have  GetElementsById installed, you could also add GetElementsByClassname in that same folder. Put it in that particular folder, and it will work for you as well. Please report back to me how SelectableElementsTable.js works out for you.

polonus

FastGame

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »
I don't have "GetElementsById" anywhere, I have one named "prefs.js" and "sessionstore.js" so I put SelectableElementsTable.js in that folder..... :D. You saying I should make a blank file named "GetElementsByClassname" ?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:29:50 PM by FastGame »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 04:30:02 PM »
I have copied it into my components folder now so we will see how it gets on and I will let you know.

It obviously won't be a scientific test with stop watch, etc. just a gut feeling.

Interestingly what FastGame mention about his not having a components folder (and now no GetElementsById file), you said to put it in the same folder with GetElementsById, guess what, I don't have GetElementsById in my components folder or any other folder for that matter ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 04:38:47 PM »
Hi FastGame,

That was not in Mozilla browsers either, later I put it on the Mozilla forum, and they made it available.
You can find it here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17043.msg216173#msg216173

Damian

FastGame

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
Ok everything seems faster even with cache cleared, I need to do more testing and make sure I'm not suffering placebo effect  :D

Will report back later..... 8)

[edit] maybe revise instructions to download both "SelectableElementsTable.js" and "GetElementsById" and install them in FF components folder. In Linux I installed them in /home/fastgame/.mozilla/firefox/6ys79xw6.default.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:21:30 PM by FastGame »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »
OK so now I have SelectableElementsTable.js and getElementsByClassName.js but not GetElementsById, is that essential to what we are trying to achieve here, e.g. speed up page loading ?

I only find the getElementsByClassName.js code (saved to file name given) at the link you gave, OK copied the code on the nwbox site for getElementsById.js

So lets see how we get on.

J J

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »
I don't have a GetElementsbyId in the component folder. should i still put the SelectableElementsTable in.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 07:27:54 PM »
Hi JJ,

No problem. Tell me what it does to speed up the browser.

pol

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 08:03:11 PM »
Damien,
Is this code loaded with "Grease Lightning" ?
Even a dummy like me can notice an immediate difference.  :)
Thanks
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

FastGame

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 08:34:28 PM »
This is getting confusing, SelectableElementsTable.js,  getElementsByClassName.js, getElementsById.js....what exactly are we to have in our folder ?

All three ?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 09:06:49 PM »
Hi FastGame,

It would not hurt you if you had all three there. But SelectableElementsTable.js is making the difference.
And Bob3160, thank you for confirming, what was obvious to me before I shared it with others.

polonus