Author Topic: Clean virus in email attachment after manual scan  (Read 4417 times)

tonygts

Clean virus in email attachment after manual scan
« on: June 24, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »
Can anyone advise how to clean up detected virus in email attachment after manual scan of Outlook .pst file?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Clean virus in email attachment after manual scan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »
With extreme care as allowing avast to extract an infected email from within a file is fraught with danger of corruption or loss of the .pst file.

I assume this detection was during an on-demand scan and not during on-access scan ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. Hopefully it will give you enough information, perhaps email subject or infected attachment to do a search within Outlook. Even if you have to order emails by those with attachments you may be able to find it.

Once you find it manually delete it and then clear the deleted emails folder and then compact your email folders. Sorry I can't be too much practical help here as I'm not an Outlook user.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tonygts

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 06:35:55 PM »
With extreme care as allowing avast to extract an infected email from within a file is fraught with danger of corruption or loss of the .pst file.

I assume this detection was during an on-demand scan and not during on-access scan ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. Hopefully it will give you enough information, perhaps email subject or infected attachment to do a search within Outlook. Even if you have to order emails by those with attachments you may be able to find it.

Once you find it manually delete it and then clear the deleted emails folder and then compact your email folders. Sorry I can't be too much practical help here as I'm not an Outlook user.

Thanks David for the help. Yes, it was on-demand scan, and the Warning section does contain list of all virus detected with indeed enough information to identify which email and attachment. This is the first time I use Avast! 4 Home to scan email file. Unfortunatly about 40 emails' worms and trojan-horses (Warezov-XX and  Win32:Tibs-AXX) were detected and shown in the Warning section. In fact when they were detected during on-demand scanning, Avast poped up a window requesting for actions such as Delete, Move/Rename, or Move To Chest; I did all that but the affected attachedment files were not deleted, or moved. I know I can manually search the email subject and delete the affected email/attachment one by one, but with 46 of them, I hope to find some tools to do it. Any explanation of why Avast's prompted actions are not effective would be appreciated; or any other suggestion of alternative tool to solve this problem other than manually search and delete them one by one? Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:23:02 PM »
The problem is that the .pst is a single file, a rather special database file that contains the emails and their attachments, avast has to extract that infected email and attachment and put the database file back together without damaging it. That isn't simple and it may that avast aborted any change as it may corrupt the .pst file, effectively resulting in total loss.

There are many AVs that would simply delete the infected file, the .pst file with disastrous results. Under normal circumstances avast would simply be moving an infected file to the chest, now it is entirely possible that it could move the whole .pst file to the chest, which you wouldn't like. Also there is a file size limit and the chest is also limited in size so that may be why nothing was moved as the pst file is huge. Check the avast Program Settings, Chest, where you can adjust the sizes as required.

So I hope you can see as onerous as it is finding them manually is preferable to the possible loss of all your emails.

It is unfortunate that these emails weren't detected prior to your installation of avast. I'm afraid there isn't a simple solution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »
The problem is that the .pst is a single file, a rather special database file that contains the emails and their attachments, avast has to extract that infected email and attachment and put the database file back together without damaging it. That isn't simple and it may that avast aborted any change as it may corrupt the .pst file, effectively resulting in total loss. There are many AVs that would simply delete the infected file, the .pst file with disastrous results.
I fully agree with David. I've seen this bad movie more than once...
The best things in life are free.

tonygts

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49:49 PM »
Thanks to all for the caution advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
No problem, glad we could help.

Welcome to the forums.

- Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast help file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.