Author Topic: Apple released all new iMac  (Read 117467 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Apple released all new iMac
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2007, 04:54:17 AM »
And its called by mac users:

The Spinning Beach Ball of Doom lol

Really the beach ball means the machine is working much like the hourglass does on WIndows.

A more accurate comparison would be on windows you get the BSOD and on Mac (and any UNIX based machine) you get a Kernel Panic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_Panic

Which looks like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MacOSX_kernel_panic.png
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

shgoh

« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2007, 06:23:17 AM »
Thanks guys, hopefully the new one doesn't give me any more headache! It seems like the new iMacs are quite problematic, with lots of display and freezing issues in the Apple forum! :'(

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2007, 01:27:25 AM »
Display problems like you had are hardware related and they can be easily resolved... ask for another machine.

Freezings on iMacs are software related and mostly are happening when using iLife software. I've read that there will be some updates in next few weeks to solve those problems. I personally never had anything like that, and every single application works perfectly. The only problem I had was with iMovie when I switched to Leopard, but the problem was iMovie just didn't want to start. The very next day, Apple released some set of updates and the problem with iMovie not starting properly was solved immediately.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2007, 02:36:43 AM »
Thanks guys, hopefully the new one doesn't give me any more headache! It seems like the new iMacs are quite problematic, with lots of display and freezing issues in the Apple forum! :'(
Well remember the only people posting on the apple forum are people with problems. Much like the Avast home/pro forum section here. Most people are quite happy with their aluminum iMac.

Also there is a software update specifically for the Aluminum iMac if it does not automatically show up in Software Update you can manually download it below:

Leopard version:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacsoftwareupdate13leopard.html

Tiger Version:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacsoftwareupdate121tiger.html

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2007, 03:49:16 AM »
Also iMac Owners Apple ahs released a Hard Drive firmware update

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/harddriveupdate10.html

BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE INSTALLING THAT UPDATE!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2007, 04:10:34 AM »
Hey Kyle, why do I get this ?

Could it be that I already downloaded it with one of those automatic updates ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2007, 04:16:15 AM »
Sasha, it Means your computer does not contain one of the affected hard drive models.

Don't worry not every iMac shipped with the problem drives, be glad yours didnt  ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2007, 04:20:08 AM »
Great news, thanks Kyle !

Yes, I found few other people having some "problem", hehe... although they are on Mac Pro...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=383394

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2007, 03:35:50 AM »

Yes, I found few other people having some "problem", hehe... although they are on Mac Pro...

Well the hard Drive update is also for the Mac Pro so those users got their Fix Too  ;)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2007, 03:39:52 AM »
Attn Little Snitch Users:

Version 2.0 has been released!

ITs $24.95 for new users or $12.95 to upgrade from Version 1.x

users of 1.x that have a serial starting with 32 get to upgrade for free (Sasha since you bought it so recently you should get the free update)

Details are here:
http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/08/snitch/index.php

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2007, 04:07:54 AM »

Well the hard Drive update is also for the Mac Pro so those users got their Fix Too  ;)

Yes, I know... I posted it because they had same "problem" like I did... their machines also didn't need that update so I guess they have some newer versions of HD hardware just like me.

shgoh

« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2007, 12:57:53 AM »
My replacement iMac is finally here! ;D Hopefully it works perfect this time!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2007, 01:35:26 AM »
Attn Little Snitch Users:

Version 2.0 has been released!

ITs $24.95 for new users or $12.95 to upgrade from Version 1.x

users of 1.x that have a serial starting with 32 get to upgrade for free (Sasha since you bought it so recently you should get the free update)

Details are here:
http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/08/snitch/index.php

Yes my upgrades are free! Yeepee!

'cause I purchased it just few weeks ago and my serial number starts with 32...

My replacement iMac is finally here! ;D Hopefully it works perfect this time!

Super! Let us know how it's going.  ;)

shgoh

« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:24 AM »
Oh yea, I've got one stupid question! :P I'm running Leopard now, but iLife is missing! I thought it's suppose to be coupled with iMac? ???

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2007, 05:19:17 AM »
iLife doesn't come with Leopard. It is just bundled with new iMacs. Did you get your iMac with Leopard preinstalled or with Tiger and then you upgraded it to Leopard ?

Not sure what's the deal with new systems with Leopard preinstalled, but I know that when I bought my iMac with Tiger, I also got 2 disks with OS X and some utilities and among them, iLife.

If you have those disks, just browse through the folders and search for iLife applications. That's what I did when I installed Leopard and everything works great... actually the only problem I had was with iMovie because it wouldn't start, but the next day I downloaded some updates and among them there was iMovie update... now everything works perfectly.

How's your new iMac ? Noticed any display problems so far (hope not) ?