Author Topic: I need your opinion..  (Read 16503 times)

Hard_ROCKER

Re: I need your opinion..
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 10:06:47 AM »
... Lol its so funny to watch people whine how Vista sucks ...

Even funnier is that most of those people have never actually used Vista  ... ::)

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
Lol its so funny to watch people whine how Vista sucks. I'm enjoying it ever since it's release. And wouldn't go back to XP even if you pay me.

Fair comment RejZoR did you need to do much of a hardware upgrade to gain the Vista enjoyment factor?? ;D
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

roro

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 10:29:32 AM »
I love XP SP2 for now.  But I used to have 98SE, so it was a big change.  I found it easier to upgrade my machine when it was time to buy a new one.  My XP CPU is 4 years old now and going strong, so by the time Vista is in my sights it should have at least one if not two SP upgrades.  With the cheap prices for desktop machines today, it seems better to go to a discount seller for a new machine.  Certainly it isn't much more expensive in the USA than actually buying the Vista upgrade.
BTW, what is so much better about Vista RejZoRon then XP?   

Ro Ro

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:31:21 AM by roro »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 01:20:30 PM »
I have super powerful machine now and and I've been running it since the first day. All I can say is Vista simply sucks ! It's full of bugs, don't even want to go into detail it makes me sick how stupid mistakes MS did. I was thrilled at first like millions of others out there, but now when it actually stays on my way to do my business properly, Vista only gets on my nerves. They rushed everything just for the competition sake, nothing else. OS is obviously not finished and the biggest proof for that is that they already released a bunch of updates, and what's even more sad, not talking about security updates, but so called Performance updates. Incredible stupid mistakes, that's unbelievable... simple copying of a large number of files takes forever, GUI notification about approximate remaining time to finish this task, is not even close... millions of small errors and bugs. Just try to open Flash CS3, Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator CS3 in with some 300 Mb large AI file inside (sorry, but that's how it is when we do our designing business here, especially when NIKE and MINI moris are sending us their story boards). Vista slows down to a crawl. 2 MB of DDR3 doesn't help much, Intel Core 2 Duo doesn't help much... so what do they need ?

It is all nice and pretty, but beauty doesn't last for long... just like in real life. In this case I don't need bells and whistles, I need productivity, and that's what's missing here.

It is very sad to say that I'm forced to boot into XP more often than I can count, so I can finish some of those tasks on time. Yes, it's not that pretty, but XP does it without a problem.

All this helped me to slowly switch to Apple... 98% of designing world in here is using Apple and that simply became standard. With these wonderful new iMacs and super low prices, you simply can't beat those deals... Apple is finally entering out world in a big way.

I'll keep PCs no question about it, but for once let's be realistic. Even PCLinuxOS that I run on my other machine works better than Vista. MS screwed up this game, no question about it...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 02:03:44 PM »
I have super powerful machine now and and I've been running it since the first day. All I can say is Vista simply sucks ! It's full of bugs, don't even want to go into detail it makes me sick how stupid mistakes MS did. I was thrilled at first like millions of others out there, but now when it actually stays on my way to do my business properly, Vista only gets on my nerves. They rushed everything just for the competition sake, nothing else. OS is obviously not finished and the biggest proof for that is that they already released a bunch of updates, and what's even more sad, not talking about security updates, but so called Performance updates. Incredible stupid mistakes, that's unbelievable... simple copying of a large number of files takes forever, GUI notification about approximate remaining time to finish this task, is not even close... millions of small errors and bugs. Just try to open Flash CS3, Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator CS3 in with some 300 Mb large AI file inside (sorry, but that's how it is when we do our designing business here, especially when NIKE and MINI moris are sending us their story boards). Vista slows down to a crawl. 2 MB of DDR3 doesn't help much, Intel Core 2 Duo doesn't help much... so what do they need ?

It is all nice and pretty, but beauty doesn't last for long... just like in real life. In this case I don't need bells and whistles, I need productivity, and that's what's missing here.

It is very sad to say that I'm forced to boot into XP more often than I can count, so I can finish some of those tasks on time. Yes, it's not that pretty, but XP does it without a problem.

All this helped me to slowly switch to Apple... 98% of designing world in here is using Apple and that simply became standard. With these wonderful new iMacs and super low prices, you simply can't beat those deals... Apple is finally entering out world in a big way.

I'll keep PCs no question about it, but for once let's be realistic. Even PCLinuxOS that I run on my other machine works better than Vista. MS screwed up this game, no question about it...

The Mac is not perfect, Windows just makes it seem that way.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 07:43:18 PM »
My take on Vista was a ploy by MS to generated sales in a stagnant hardware upgrade market. In order to run Vista at its peak requires some quite significant hardware upgrading. Hardware system updating was booming pre and post Windows XP just look at the dramatic changes in hard drives, Ram and Graphics cards during and through that period. There is talk of SP1 for Vista and yet XP keeps having a truck load of patches and hotfixes thrown at it. So MS sees fit to release umpteen patches and hotfixes for XP what about SP3 for XP!! too Hard??
They were very quick to release SP1 and SP2 for XP but now the once a month band aids will do. Of course there no money in band aids?? There is however a truckload to be made with a new OS ;) just my 2cent worth
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »
Looks like I've found the right thread for this link.  ;D
Windows Vista Complaints Department
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

mauserme

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
Just try to open Flash CS3, Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator CS3 in with some 300 Mb large AI file inside (sorry, but that's how it is when we do our designing business here, especially when NIKE and MINI moris are sending us their story boards). Vista slows down to a crawl.
Sasha, CS3 installs Bonjour Service which is supposed to make networking easier but can slow things considerably.

You could try disabling it in services - it will be named either Bonjour Service or $$Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762$$

Disabling should be safe, but don't delete it.  This can cause problems with your internet connection.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 05:57:42 AM »
Sasha, CS3 installs Bonjour Service which is supposed to make networking easier but can slow things considerably.

You could try disabling it in services - it will be named either Bonjour Service or $$Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762$$

Disabling should be safe, but don't delete it.  This can cause problems with your internet connection.

Hello my friend ! Yes you're completely right. The only problem is I already found out about this Bonjour service I believe just two days after I installed CS3 suite. I wrote something about it in here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29361.msg241556#msg241556

There is a utility called TurnOffBonjour.exe. Same thing as going into services, except it does everything for you with just one click...

The Mac is not perfect, Windows just makes it seem that way.

I see what you're saying Kyle, but believe me after all those problems with Vista and pulling my hair out because of some stupid things that should be minor problems in some other situation, OSX IS perfect OS with all its goods and bads.

My Intel Core 2 Duo Acer Laptop came with preinstalled Vista, with full licence on my name, but I am telling you... it's gonna be wiped out as soon as I decide which Linux distro to engrave inside. Most likely it will be PClinuxOS because I simply adore it.

Oh BTW, I finally got my first Apple... new iMac... really don't wanna sound like I am bragging or anything like that, but simply I can not hide how excited I am...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29799.msg247330#msg247330

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 06:04:49 AM by SasH »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »
Congrats on the new toy Sasha !

Mac's are ideal for graphic designers i totally agree there ! For me the thing that impressed me the most with Mac's is the wonderful STABILITY of those things compared to regular pc's running Windows. Imagine you're working on a project with Photoshop you have hours of work done you haven't saved the project for a few hours and suddenly you get a BSOD ...  ::) That hapened to me a couple of times and it did not feel good let me tell you. My ex co-worker was/is using a mac for his graphic work and he never ever had any problems with stability. Not one !

However as much as i admire Mac's for serious work i could never consider buying it for my home pc. The lack of gaming would kill me !  ;D

As far as Vista goes it has it's share of bugs there's no denying that but it seems to be working for me. The only problems i am having ATM are some games that won't run(i run those on xp thank god i left it installed), my soundcard drivers are still not 100 % working(but that's Creative's fault) and i have to use that ugly pctools firewall. Other than everything seems to be working well(even networking with  linux).

But i have to admit that dx10 is my main reason for going Vista . That's how it is if you want dx 10 you have to buy Vista.

My Intel Core 2 Duo Acer Laptop came with preinstalled Vista, with full licence on my name, but I am telling you... it's gonna be wiped out as soon as I decide which Linux distro to engrave inside. Most likely it will be PClinuxOS because I simply adore it.

Yes PClinuxOS is great but i personally prefer Ubuntu. Lot's of reasons for that but my main reason are the huge software repositories that Ubuntu has. Plus i hate Mandriva(it was my first distro but then it was called Mandrake) which is the distro PClinuxOS is built upon ...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »
Yes PClinuxOS is great but i personally prefer Ubuntu. Lot's of reasons for that but my main reason are the huge software repositories that Ubuntu has. Plus i hate Mandriva(it was my first distro but then it was called Mandrake) which is the distro PClinuxOS is built upon ...

Yes, you're partly right there, although repositories are growing like a mushrooms after the rain to PCLOS too. The best thing is, it comes with Beryl installed, no need to dig after it through all those repositories. As soon as you install it, there is an option to enable all those wonderful 3D mind-blowing effects. It is unbelievable easy to use, and I'd say a lot easier than Ubuntu for some fresh new Linux user. I believe that is the Linux distro that looks and behaves a lot like Windows, so it is very easy to switch.

mauserme

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 04:22:29 PM »
There is a utility called TurnOffBonjour.exe. Same thing as going into services, except it does everything for you with just one click...
Thanks - makes life easier  :)

louis_zuo

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 09:57:07 AM »
i have used Microsoft Operation systems for toooo long.  i want to use Linux actually but when i install it i dont know how to configure the internet. how fool i am :'(

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 06:55:11 PM »
Yes, you're partly right there, although repositories are growing like a mushrooms after the rain to PCLOS too. The best thing is, it comes with Beryl installed, no need to dig after it through all those repositories. As soon as you install it, there is an option to enable all those wonderful 3D mind-blowing effects. It is unbelievable easy to use, and I'd say a lot easier than Ubuntu for some fresh new Linux user. I believe that is the Linux distro that looks and behaves a lot like Windows, so it is very easy to switch.

Sash almost every newer distro comes with Beryl or Compiz installed by default, it's a trend these days it seems.
Ubuntu 7.04 comes with Compiz installed by default. Beryl and Compiz projects have merged BTW Beryl Homepage. Ubuntu 7.10 will ship with compiz fusion installed by default.

PCLinuxOS is easier to use than Ubuntu ? I don't agree as it cannot get any simpler to use than Ubuntu IMHO but i would say that KDE is easier to understand than Gnome, for windows users that is . If you want KDE that's where Kubuntu comes in play. But installing and updating software is easier in Ubuntu than in PClinuxOS (again IMHO). However Ubuntu doesn't come with all those multimedia codecs by default like PClinuxOS does due to their philosophy on using only open source software. That is i guess the thing you like the most with PClinuxOS but it certainly isn't the only distro that comes with all those closed source codecs and drivers installed by default. There are many many more out there. BTW here's an easy way to install multimedia codecs and drivers on Ubuntu EasyUbuntu.
Personally i prefer installing things manualy from the repositories.

I am just trying out Sabayon and it looks fantastic. Comes with everything you want and compiz fusion is also there. Worth checking out.

i have used Microsoft Operation systems for toooo long.  i want to use Linux actually but when i install it i dont know how to configure the internet. how fool i am :'(

No you're not a fool just a novice linux user that's all.  ;)
You can open up a new theme in General Topics and we'll try to help you set it up. We will need some more info of course. Which distro you use, what type of internet connection you have, router etc.

Enough about Linux let's get back to Vista. I just had a nasty problem. I was watching a divx movie in WMP 11 and suddenly my whole pc froze and i mean a total lock-up ! Ctrl+Alt+Delete didn't work as well as Ctrl+Esc , Alt+ F4, the windows key and everything else i tried. I had to do a hard reset and i don't like this at all. This is what i found in windows logs: The previous system shutdown at 12:54:30 on 24.8.2007 was unexpected. and Crash dump initialization failed!
Very helpful indeed ...  ::)
I am trying to replicate the problem but nothing so far.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 01:05:01 AM »
Ubuntu IMHO but i would say that KDE is easier to understand than Gnome, for windows users that is . If you want KDE that's where Kubuntu comes in play.
Kubuntu running in a dual-boot system here.
The easiest way to start learning Windows is, in my opinion too, KDE.
The best things in life are free.