Author Topic: Avast chest didn't download..  (Read 3511 times)

Tia Mia

Avast chest didn't download..
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:12 AM »
Advasr chest didn't download correctly... And my computer has worms.. can i just try a repair or do i need to uninstall and install again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast chest didn't download..
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:49:24 AM »
Do you mean you can't reach Chest (Quarantine) because it's not well installed?
Chest is not for download...
If repairing works you don't have to uninstall/install.
Do you have any other antivirus installed in this computer?

We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number?
- What was the filename and path where the virus was found?
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- Any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'.
The best things in life are free.

Tia Mia

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »
sorry very new to this virus thing....
I am using windows xp, no antiivrus software.
I have downloaded the advast 4.7 and it is still currently checking files. One file so far has detected a virus, in snapshot volume (file).
I have clicked the repair all option. As the chest was installed with errors and i am unable to use that option.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 05:15:35 AM »
As the chest was installed with errors and i am unable to use that option.
Please, do NOT uninstall avast... it will remove all Chest entries and you won't be able to manage any of them.
Try to repair your installation.
If it fails, copy all the folder (and files inside of it) C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\avast4\DATA\chest to another folder in your computer. Then you can install from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last version.
6. Boot.
7. Move (overwrite) the Chest folder with the one you've saved before.
8. Check and post the results.

Tia Mia

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 05:20:19 AM »
I have a win23 chancript virus... 10 folders where infected and errors have occurred while trying to repair.. can you please tell me how i can try to fix the instalation and will this get rid of this virus?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 05:39:49 AM »
Can you please tell me how i can try to fix the instalation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

Tia Mia

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:38:34 AM »
I ended up having to do a repair and an update and got things working...
As i said 10 infected files were found and they have been sent to the chest..
I am so sorry for being such a pest but what do i do now?

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:42:58 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Tia Mia.    :)

You need do nothing soon once the files are in the chest as that is a protected area where they can do no harm to your computer. Just leave them there for several weeks. This is recommended in case one or more of those files is a needed file. Once deleted, you may not remember at a later date which file it is that you need to replace. If, at the end of several weeks, you have not experienced any adverse effects to your computer or it's programs, then you can delete them from the chest and they will be gone. You could leave them there for months if you wanted to do so.

By the way, delete only the files in the Infected section. Never delete those in the System files section.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
I am so sorry for being such a pest but what do i do now?
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME or Windows XP. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3.

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. It will be good if you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG, Panda and/or F-Secure BlackLight.

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.

7. After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.