Author Topic: Avast slows things down on Vista!  (Read 1900 times)

gate1975mlm

Avast slows things down on Vista!
« on: September 30, 2007, 03:03:32 AM »
I am running Windows Vista and the latest Avast build.

One ever O open up a folder with a lot of software installers Avast scans all of them causing the Icons to load very slowly. Also when Avast is running it causing Windows live Mail to open a little slower.

Is there anyway to add folders that I do not want to scan all the time to a list? And also do I really need to use the e mail scanner?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast slows things down on Vista!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 03:38:07 AM »
What you are explaining shouldn't cause any sort of slow down icons display in explorer, extracted from files, but on the default settings these wouldn't be scanned.

What is the sensitivity setting of the Standard Shield, Normal is the default, High will obviously cause more files to be scanned ?

Folders and files can be excluded but I would first ask what they are and what is in there as excluding folders could leave you vulnerable ?

Exclusions lists:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add
Program Settings, Exclusions

I have only one excluded folder and that is where I store my samples and some tools that avast would otherwise detect and I experience none of the issues you mention, I am however using XP.

Yes I believe you should use the email scanner and scan inbound and outbound email, I also thing you should set the Internet Mail sensitivity to High. The avast email scanner may be the first indication that you have undetected malware on your system sending out spam (multiple emails in a period of time). Email is still one of the most common routes of entry for malware.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:40:09 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security