Author Topic: Avast and ThreatFire seem a good combination  (Read 9389 times)

Jlo

Avast and ThreatFire seem a good combination
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:31:11 PM »
Hi All,

I have recently come back to Avast AV on my wifes laptop as it is so stable, however my only concern has been the fact that Avast can be slow in adding malware that I have submitted (I understand that they are working on this) and the lack of Heuristics for 0 day attacks.

I have tried ThreatFire http://www.threatfire.com/ which seems to work great alongside Avast and now gives me protection against 0 day attacks (much like KAV V7 and there proactive defence)

Seems to be a great free combination. Any other users have experience with ThreatFire and Avast?

Thanks

Jlo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast and ThreatFire seem a good combination
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 07:27:34 PM »
Well it was fine when it was called by its other name, CyberHawk I believe, so I doubt that will have changed just because its name has.

It is preferable to have a multi level/application approach to security as one program is unlikely to give 100% protection.

I just use avast and the other applications in my signature, I considered cyberhawk but never got round to installing it. I take other precautions to limit the potential for harm with 0 day attack, namely restricting the permissions (no admin) of the applications that connect to the internet. That doesn't use system resources but helps stop files being placed in system folders and registry entries be created because malware would inherit your logon account permission.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

neal62

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 07:37:34 PM »
Hello Jlo,

I use the latest version of threatfire. It works just fine as another layer of protection. I haven't had any problems with it.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
I have tried ThreatFire http://www.threatfire.com/ which seems to work great alongside Avast and now gives me protection against 0 day attacks (much like KAV V7 and there proactive defence)
Hmmm... more ad than reality... why don't you test WinPatrol?
ThreatFire fail to detect a lot of trojans... the GUI is beauty and sensation of security is not the same as security itself. Just my 0.02.
There is a different between having problems (bugs, conflicts) and being effective.
ThreatFire is compatible with avast but what I don't know (or better, I know by negative experiences) as what it really does.
The best things in life are free.

Jlo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »
I have not tried Winpatrol. I believe Threatfire is a HIPS but has a whitelist so does not give the user lots of promts for noraml known programs.

Seems OK so far. Will keep it as an extra layer of defence.

Cheers

Jlo

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:29:12 AM »
I tried it when it was CyberHawk, but it didn't work out for me. For some reason it caused a 4-5 second 98-99% CPU spike whenever I did anything in IE 7 (FF was OK). I tried disabling and even uninstalling some other security programs, as per the support person I was working with. But nothing helped, so I uninstalled it. I'm gonna give Comodo Firewall 3 (w/ HIPS) a try when it comes out of beta.

clever_spy96

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »
I prefer using Lavasoft Ad-adware.Because it is 100% free and removes malware better than others.

MeDIeVaL

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 09:59:54 AM »
I tried it when it was CyberHawk, but it didn't work out for me. For some reason it caused a 4-5 second 98-99% CPU spike whenever I did anything in IE 7 (FF was OK). I tried disabling and even uninstalling some other security programs, as per the support person I was working with. But nothing helped, so I uninstalled it. I'm gonna give Comodo Firewall 3 (w/ HIPS) a try when it comes out of beta.

I've tried ThreatFire for 'bout 6 days now and seem e'thing work fine for me except whenever I've launched IE7. My pc seem stuck for couple of seconds and I've never experienced this before installing ThreatFire. Maybe what you've said is right but I'll let it working for couple of day more.

jasonago

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »
If there's one thing you would love about Threatfire, that is, it doesn't scare you for so many many popups just like the other HIPS are doing. Threatfire will alert you if it finds the behavior really malicious and malware like. Other than that, it is silent.

Avast and Threatfire is a good combination. Just add a firewall and a bystander anti-spyware and you're good to go.

Rafel

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
I use Win Patrol, is lighter and very friendly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 03:19:22 PM »
I use Win Patrol, is lighter and very friendly.
I feel exactly the same... I tested other products and after all came back to WinPatrol...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »
I prefer using Lavasoft Ad-adware.Because it is 100% free and removes malware better than others.

Sorry but AdAware is a lightweight when compared to many other anti-spyware tools SpywareTerminator, SuperAntiSpyware or avg-anti-spyware to name but three. I do have it installed but the only thing it has found on my system for some considerable time have been false positives. Not that I expect it to find anything.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »
My problem with Lavasoft Ad-adware is not the false positive detection.
But the lack of detection at all... I found much much more effective other anti-spyware tools like SpywareTerminator, SuperAntiSpyware or avg-anti-spyware, for instance.

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 07:57:15 PM »

My problem with Lavasoft Ad-adware is not the false positive detection.
But the lack of detection at all... I found much much more effective other anti-spyware tools like SpywareTerminator, SuperAntiSpyware or avg-anti-spyware, for instance.
I agree totally. I stopped using Lavasoft's AdAware very early this year (after 5 years) because of these very same reasons. It has become virtually useless.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 09:24:03 PM »
It has become virtually useless.
You've caught my mind... exactly.