Author Topic: Home guidance needed  (Read 10657 times)

rodzthomas

Home guidance needed
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:10:47 AM »
Hi! Sometimes after i scan, the report states that "this is a decompression timebomb"

What does it mean? When i try to "chest" it, an error will occur. Pls Help!

Thanks in advance!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Home guidance needed
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:32:31 AM »
Hi rodzthomas,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_bomb

The detection can be a false positive- avast! detected an .iso image as a decompression bomb on my computer this morning. I know it's a false positive because it was an image of a working PCLinuxOS live CD!

Big files like this (CD/DVD size) are too big to move to the chest. Either ignore the detection if you're sure it's a legitimate file or delete the file directly- it may also be too big to move to the waste basket if you're in Windows.

If it's a legitimate file, the avast! people would want to remove the FP detection, but if it's a very large file, sending it by email would be out of the question. You could mention the name of the file, how it was created, where it was downloaded from etc. here: that might help remedy any FP.

If had been a smaller file, you could've uploaded it to VirusTotal to check the detection.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

rodzthomas

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »
Hi rodzthomas,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_bomb

The detection can be a false positive- avast! detected an .iso image as a decompression bomb on my computer this morning. I know it's a false positive because it was an image of a working PCLinuxOS live CD!

Big files like this (CD/DVD size) are too big to move to the chest. Either ignore the detection if you're sure it's a legitimate file or delete the file directly- it may also be too big to move to the waste basket if you're in Windows.

If it's a legitimate file, the avast! people would want to remove the FP detection, but if it's a very large file, sending it by email would be out of the question. You could mention the name of the file, how it was created, where it was downloaded from etc. here: that might help remedy any FP.

If had been a smaller file, you could've uploaded it to VirusTotal to check the detection.

Hi Frank! Thanks for the reply. It was a nero file (Dont really remember.Sorry) I will put up more details on the next time i get this message. I do get stuff like, the file is corrupted and when i try to delete or move it to the chest, an error will occur.
Sorry for not being clearer. Will keep this in mind on the next scan and if something pop's up.

rodzthomas

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
ahh... i finally did the scan. I tried deleting the last file and an error accured. Kindly have a look.

Thanks.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 06:39:13 PM »
The 'corrupt' archive in NeroBackItUp I don't think is a problem. More likely avast! just can't read it. Unless somebody with more knowledge tells you otherwise, ignore similar messages.

The 'decompression bomb' warning seems to be a DVD data file: safe to ignore. If one of those .VOB files is less than 10MB, you could email it to avast! mentioning it's a false positive, although they may well be more like 100MB+: far too big to email.

avscan.dll is an AntiVir file. Do you still have AntiVir installed? Two AV programs will conflict: if you're going to use avast!, you'll need to uninstall AntiVir.

What is the full location of this entry:

E:\Computer Stuff\...\avscan.dll?

There are two more in System Restore you can ignore: If you no longer have AntiVir, avscan.dll will get flushed out of System Restore as new restore points are created.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

rodzthomas

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
Yeah ur right about the mail thing. With regards to Antivir, i have uninstalled it previously when a problem accured. The umbrella just didn't open. Really!

So in turn i found Avast! and its been working great until that issue i had. I also created more restore points after the uninstall of AntiVir.

The location for E:\Computer Stuff\...\avscan.dll is located on my partition and that file could not be found when i wanted to delete it manually. Even after "show all Folders" was ticked.

I will go home and check out the "..." after E:\Computer Stuff\

Thanks again for ur help!

Spiritsongs

Avira/AntiVir "Removal"
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 08:54:32 PM »
 :)  Hi :

To COMPLETELY REMOVE AntiVir/Avira from your computer, follow the
       Info at www.avira.com/en/support/av7_upgrade_tools.html . That
       includes using the "Registry Cleaner" Tool and the appropiate
       "Uninstallation Package" .
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:57:32 PM by Spiritsongs »

rodzthomas

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 10:55:14 AM »
Thnks. Will try that

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
Thnks. Will try that
Please, post back the results ;)
The best things in life are free.

rodzthomas

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 06:06:55 AM »
hi Guys. I finally did the uninstaller for Avira and it didnt work. First time i had some program's running and it said to "close all running...". Then i closed all that was open including my Avast! and it still said the same thing. Any other ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 12:08:50 PM »
hi Guys. I finally did the uninstaller for Avira and it didnt work.
Did you try Control Panel before?

rodzthomas

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »
hi Guys. I finally did the uninstaller for Avira and it didnt work.
Did you try Control Panel before?

Yes. I uninstalled Avira through the "add/remove" section.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »
Yes. I uninstalled Avira through the "add/remove" section.
And then boot, and then used the uninstall tool (registry cleaner) for it?

rodzthomas

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 01:23:40 PM »
yeah i just did it. Gonna run Avast! scan later on... but when i started my com earlier, it said that in "Lacals...delus.exe" cannot be found. What is that? Sorry, Im learning :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
It said that in "Lacals...delus.exe" cannot be found. What is that? Sorry, Im learning :)
Who said that?
Can you post a screenshot of the message?
The only way to know what is it, will be knowing what is behind the ... on the file name.