Author Topic: High CPU on process vmplatformca(Hyper-V Certificate Authority Trustlet process)  (Read 2797 times)

Offline UncleJohnsBand

I finally got my machine setup so that TPM is working fully (had to upgrade firmware) which then allowed me to run W11 VM in MS Hyper-V.

However, the vmplatformca(Hyper-V Certificate Authority Trustlet process) was using between 10-15% CPU with no-VM running or if it was running.

After researching I found the below MS thread that identified it is related to non-MS Antivirus.  I was able to simply follow the steps of disabling Avast, shutting down VM, and Hyper-V and killing the process.... then restart the Hyper-V service, and then the VM and lastly re-enable Avast.  CPU is 0 on the vmplatformca process.

Is anyone here at Avast aware of this issue and if so is it being reviewed to be addressed?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/612501/virtual-machine-security-process-vmspexe-hogging-c.html

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
- Which Avast..? (Free/Premium/One)
- Which version/build of Avast..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline UncleJohnsBand

- Which Avast..? (Free/Premium/One)
- Which version/build of Avast..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?

Aavast Free
Program version:  22.3.6008 (buile 22.3.7108.528)
W11 x64 build 22598_ni_release.220408-1503
No other security software

If you read the post on docs.microsoft it surfaces that this is not just an Avast issue (but Avast has been called out).  Appears to be any other virus protection on machines running hyper-v and vm's.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Hi, see if it helps to disable "hardware-assisted virtualization" in Avast troubleshooting settings (reboot is required after modification).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline UncleJohnsBand

Hi, see if it helps to disable "hardware-assisted virtualization" in Avast troubleshooting settings (reboot is required after modification).

That did not help. No Joy :-(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot

Offline bigtom

I have the same problem and googled the same MS forum. Disabling HW virtualization in Avast did not help. The guide to pause Avast, kill the Trustlet Hypoer-V process and start Avast helps only until the next Windows 10 Pro restart.

That MS thread says they sent some report to Avast, but we know that Avast does not care much about bugs anymore, not menioning that this will rather be MS bug.

I figured out that the solution is not to use the TPM in the virtual computers. The TPM was needed to install the virtual Windows 11, but now when Windows 11 is running, TPM can be turned off. I was just asked to reconfirm W11 my account with the password etc., but it seems to be working.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:08:46 PM by bigtom »