Author Topic: Updater has rendered my desktop PC Useless  (Read 2998 times)

Offline writecolour

Updater has rendered my desktop PC Useless
« on: February 08, 2024, 09:07:24 PM »
I have been long term user of Avast to protect my home PC which is in almost 'daily' use, with all it's loaded software and stored documents and data; critical for both myself and my wife to function.

Avast, only this week, took my £85 renewal subscription.

Tonight ...

8th February 2024

... when I got in I turned the PC on (Windows 7 Ultimate: 32bit) as I needed to scan a time sensitive document for work. Avast's driver updater screen came up mentioning items that required updating. I thought I'd quickly allow it to do what it suggested before I continued (never having had any previous issues).

It told me it was updating (a) virtual com port. Then it said "it was unable to do it but not to worry, the PC would work without it" (ALARM BELLS ALREADY!!!).

From that moment on NONE of my USB devices would function: mouse, keyboard, scanner, printer, NOTHING!

I cannot get beyond my password log-in screen in normal (or safe mode) as I have no means of submitting commands.

This is going to cost me a HUGE amount of money, time and inconvenience.

Paul (Livid)
Newmarket, Suffolk.

Offline bajjerfan

Re: Updater has rendered my desktop PC Useless
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 05:39:25 PM »
I have the same issue with a HP desktop running Win7 Pro.  I have used the updater installed on my computer a Dell which also uses Win7 Pro and there are no issues. Another member of the household ran the driver updater last night. A scan indicated that 23 drivers were out of date so I told the software to update as needed. During the update process the mouse and keyboard were locked. FWIW/FYI I could undo the locked mouse and keyboard with Alt + Tab. After everything was "updated" the message said to restart. Restarting booted up to the login page, but now no mouse or keyboard to use to login. So how do I fix this mess?

Can I try to download the drivers from Device Manager or the internet?

Can I try to make a boot disk from my Dell computer and hope it works on the HP computer or are we royally  SOL?

Any help will be appreciated.

ETA: I have since removed this service from my still working computer.

In chatting with tech service folks it seems that they misunderstand the issue. I CANNOT ACCESS the computer with the missing/corrupted drivers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:22:56 PM by bajjerfan »

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 06:03:39 AM »
Since many places no longer support Windows7 with their products [I'm pretty sure Avast isn't upgrading ASB/BANK MODE if you're using it in Windows7] it might be a good idea to ask around if there have been any issues with Windows7 or the product/service has been tested with Windows7. Otherwise it would seem that you're using it at your peril. If the service hasn't been evaluated with Win7 it would behoove the product/service provider to disclose that.

There are many of us who still like and use Windows7.  Also sad to say that there is little or nothing available in the way of computers with Windows7 installed on them. I would also suggest to run any cleaning software first before running any other programs/services etc.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 05:25:55 PM by bajjerfan »

Offline Kim52

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 01:30:02 AM »
Does anyone have a fix for this? I have no way to input to me desktop. It ran fine until the driver updates (Gateway running Windows 7)

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 02:09:40 AM »
Hello Kim52 and the OP writecolour

Here is what we finally found to fix the issue. Found on wikiHow. If your computer is operating satisfactorily there is little reason to update old drivers especially if the updates are also old.

https://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Windows-7

Problem:  Avast Driver Update may have corrupted my pc device drivers. Completely locked out of my computer

Sign-In screen with no cd/dvd drive, usb drive, mouse, or keyboard functions except for the Esc key, 

Enter key and the 4 Arrow keys.

Fix:  Repeatedly tap or hold down  the F8 Key simultaneously when you press the computer "Start" button.

This will take you to the "Safe Mode" screen.  Above the 3 Safe Mode options you will see the

words "Repair Your Computer".  Use the "Arrow Key" to highlight the "Repair Your Computer" option,

then press the "Enter Key".  This takes you to "System Recovery" to select your country and select the

name of your computer, i.e., hp elite 8200, then click "Next".  This will bring up the "Start Repair/System

Recovery/Command" options. First, I used "Start Repair" and discovered that Avast Driver Update had

corrupted 11 drivers, so I did a System Recovery using the last recovery date before the Avast Driver

Update quickly restoring all functions and files. The above Wiki website explains these steps by showing

the windows with helpful step explanations. It brought my Windows 7 Professional computer back to life.

The Avast technicians tried to help but their several suggestions did not work. The tech's last email

advised "I have a hardware problem!"  Well, no longer... I fixed it myself with Wikihow and some prior

experience using System Recovery!  Good Luck.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:54:19 AM by bajjerfan »

Offline Kim52

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 02:50:44 AM »
Just posting here for continuity:

I was so very hopeful! unfortunately, my System Recovery has been running for about 9 hours with no further messages or restarts. I fear I now have an old but expensive brick on my desk. I tried an earlier restore point that said my DVD drive is corrupt and the restore failed. So sad

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 08:08:42 PM »
Wish I could offer more help. I'm guilty of not doing it myself, but if one is wanting to try these programs it would behoove one to come here first and read any reviews or peruse the forum and see if anyone had issues. I'd advise running a maintenance program to make sure everything is up to date.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:25:20 PM by bajjerfan »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 10:37:59 PM »
What maintenance program suggested?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 03:27:59 PM »
I use Avast Secure browser and Avast Cleanup Premium. Both computers here are running Win7 Pro so there must be a reason why one had issues and the other one didn't.

Offline setupme

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 11:58:17 AM »
i read this thread here and now i m convinced to never install this driver update tool.  virus scanning, vpn is one thing but changing drivers is more than a "just a piece of cake".
i follow my rule: Never change a running system  -  i never had issues with driver, the only driver i updated was for my printer.. manually, from official website

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2024, 08:10:12 AM »
Point to consider:
  • You need your keyboard driver
  • You need your mouse driver
  • You need your video driver
  • You need your USB driver
If one cannot interact with their computer or device because one or more of these essential drivers failed to update, then it will become difficult to restore your system back to normal operation.

If one always backs up their system before making any changes it becomes a simple matter to recover a damaged system.  Image backups are a solution if, your system becomes infected, and the backup was made before the infection occurred, restoring a known clean image will remove the infection completely.  Restoring an image known to be infected will not clear the infection.

Suggested reading for image backups:  [Free]  https://www.pcworld.com/article/407569/the-best-free-backup-software-and-services.html

[Paid]  https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-backup-software/  Article published April 22, 2022, tho.
                                                                          https://www.techradar.com/best/best-backup-software
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803