Author Topic: Avast One stopped working after update  (Read 1630 times)

Offline margaretgeorge

Avast One stopped working after update
« on: February 17, 2024, 07:45:20 AM »
In the past week my Avast One has stopped working soon after the update to 24.1. I have tried various methods such as enabling AvastSvc manually, clean uninstall and reinstall and restarting the computer but it still refuse to open up, saying that the antivirus service couldn't start. Using the services.msc to manually start it gives an error 1053.

Same has been observed on AVG which I've never installed on my computer before that point, indicating that there is some compatibility issue, whether on Avast's end or my end. Installing early versions of AVG solves the issue, although it's a version intended for Windows XP.

Just asking, is it possible for Avast to in the meantime to put a download link to the older 23.12 version here which is the last version of the Avast software to successfully run on my computer?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast One stopped working after update
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 08:19:31 AM »
Confusing.  Are you running both AVG and Avast at the same time?  Or did AVG get put onto your system without your permission?

Choose one antivirus if you are running both.  Uninstall whichever is best for you.

Choose repair of the remaining antivirus program and reboot.  What operating system are you running?  Windows 7?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline margaretgeorge

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 10:13:09 AM »
Confusing.  Are you running both AVG and Avast at the same time?  Or did AVG get put onto your system without your permission?

Choose one antivirus if you are running both.  Uninstall whichever is best for you.

Choose repair of the remaining antivirus program and reboot.  What operating system are you running?  Windows 7?

I didn't have the AVG program when the bug first showed up, after trying various methods such as clean install the Avast program simply would not work at all and so I have no choice but to download old version of AVG instead.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 06:50:14 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

Did you uninstall Avast One first before installing old version AVG?

What operating system?  Windows 10? Windows 11?  Mac?  Android?  Ipod?

Download link for older version of Avast One not kept on site by Avast.  Best to always save a copy of the full offline program when it shows up.  I can provide a link to an older version of Avast One if required but first we'll need to straighten out your system if required.

Please answer the above question re AVG and operating systems so we can proceed.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline margaretgeorge

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 01:29:34 PM »

Did you uninstall Avast One first before installing old version AVG?

What operating system?  Windows 10? Windows 11?  Mac?  Android?  Ipod?

Download link for older version of Avast One not kept on site by Avast.  Best to always save a copy of the full offline program when it shows up.  I can provide a link to an older version of Avast One if required but first we'll need to straighten out your system if required.

Please answer the above question re AVG and operating systems so we can proceed.

I'm sorry for the late reply because of being distracted. Yes, Avast One was uninstalled before installing old version AVG, to no avail.

It is a Windows 10 computer.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 05:05:45 PM »

Try using this to completely remove all traces of old/new Avast/AVG antivirus programs: 
This will require you to clear your Windows 10 system of old left-over (possibly corrupt) files from previous installs followed by a reboot of your system.

You've already downloaded a new/fresh version of Avast One before starting?

Best thing to do is to do a full back of your system before starting using a program like Macrium Free, so if things go awry, you can start over again and restore your system back to just the way it was; or not proceed with another uninstall operation but leave things as they are.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html  (Note:  This free version is being retired 1 January 2024 but is still usable and effective for your needs.)

Once you have backed up your system just follow instructions how to best proceed with both uninstalls, reboot and install whichever program you prefer.

Hope this helps.   :)

Offline margaretgeorge

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 09:05:33 PM »
Already tried but still no luck. Time to skip to the download links to the old versions of Avast.

Offline margaretgeorge

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 03:31:29 PM »

Try using this to completely remove all traces of old/new Avast/AVG antivirus programs: 
This will require you to clear your Windows 10 system of old left-over (possibly corrupt) files from previous installs followed by a reboot of your system.

You've already downloaded a new/fresh version of Avast One before starting?

Best thing to do is to do a full back of your system before starting using a program like Macrium Free, so if things go awry, you can start over again and restore your system back to just the way it was; or not proceed with another uninstall operation but leave things as they are.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html  (Note:  This free version is being retired 1 January 2024 but is still usable and effective for your needs.)

Once you have backed up your system just follow instructions how to best proceed with both uninstalls, reboot and install whichever program you prefer.

Hope this helps.   :)

May I know what are the download links for the older verion of Avast since the fix you've suggested doesn't work so far? Are they from trusted sites?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:17:00 AM »
As far as I know, avast does not provide old versions of its antivirus programs, primarily for security reasons.

You can try http://www.oldversion.com/windows/avast-free-antivirus/

OR:  https://filehippo.com/download_avast-antivirus/history/

In my experience neither site will give you what you need.  As before, best to download a full offline copy to keep in reserve just in case.