Author Topic: Avast detected virus from my digital camera?  (Read 398 times)

Offline Pepita26366

Avast detected virus from my digital camera?
« on: March 18, 2024, 06:04:11 PM »
I recently bought a second-hand Sony cybershot camera. It came with a charger and usb connector.

I took some photos and connected it to my laptop using the usb connector that came with it. Avast detected "trojan win32:vb-dyc" so I disconnected the usb connector. I checked Avast again, moved the trojan to quarantine, then deleted it. Scanned again with Avast, Malwarebytes, and HitmanPro just to be sure and no threats detected so far.

I don't know if it came from the usb connector, the memory stick that came with it, or the digital camera itself and I'm too scared to find out. Where does this trojan "reside" usually? Should I just throw the camera out? Am I eternally and perpetually effed and should just throw my laptop away as well?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast detected virus from my digital camera?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 07:02:50 PM »
How can we tell anything when you have deleted evrything that could give any info, like if detection was correct or wrong

The name indicate that it was a vb script. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBScript

« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 07:11:31 PM by Pondus »

Offline Pepita26366

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 08:46:51 PM »
How can we tell anything when you have deleted evrything that could give any info, like if detection was correct or wrong

The name indicate that it was a vb script. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBScript

Out of panic, unfortunately.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 09:44:23 PM »
USB devices can be used as an infection vector just so you know.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803