Author Topic: Avast Mail Shield is blocking IMAP email access in Mozilla Thunderbird  (Read 928 times)

Offline sleepingvr4

Avast's mail shield is blocking IMAP on Thunderbird.  As soon as I disable the mail shield Thunderbird works normally.

Is there a resolution to this?

Offline sleepingvr4

This was read 213 times but not one person has any advise?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I think this is because there is little information to work with.

A screenshot of the 'blocking' you are talking of might help.

In the meantime a search on 'Avast's mail shield is blocking IMAP on Thunderbird' returns many hits.

This was just one of them - https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/91/#pc
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sleepingvr4

I already tried to import the Mail Shield certificate and Thunderbird stated that cert was already in use.

And when I say block, I mean that Thunderbird is trying to connect to imap.gmail.com and it fails as long as the mail shield is enabled.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

A long time ago I had something which sounds like a similar problem.

The trouble was not with AVAST or Thunderbird it was due to some update my email service provider (my ISP) had done. When I reported it to them, suggesting it was a certification issue, the problem was resolved a few days later without any explanation.

I suggest, if your ISP has a forum, you check there for anyone having similar recent trouble with Thunderbird or use other means of communication for problem reporting. Describe the issue, particularly the possibility of the involvement of the mail server certificate and AVAST's Mail Shield then maybe you'll get some joy.

You've reported it here so one of the likely party's involved is now aware there may be a certification recognition matter. So reporting it to your email service provider is the obvious next step.

But don't expect anyone to enlighten you as to what the problem was and who was to blame. Just hope that one or the other resolves it quickly.     
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 04:15:56 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline Leo3487

A long time ago I had something which sounds like a similar problem.

The trouble was not with AVAST or Thunderbird it was due to some update my email service provider (my ISP) had done. When I reported it to them, suggesting it was a certification issue, the problem was resolved a few days later without any explanation. 

LOL
The op said is gmail, no a ISP mail

Why do you think it matters who provides the email service?

By referencing that previous problem as I did it was actually making it clear that it was not Gmail being used in that case but it might be a similar issue.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:41:13 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline sleepingvr4

I work for my ISP and we don't block anything.

When I originally started using thunderbird, i didn't have an issue and then one day after an Avast update i started to have to disable the mail filter to allow thunderbird to reach Gmail again.

Most ISPs do if you don't opt out of their default 'protection' packages, at least that is my experience.

I've not had any trouble with Thunderbird, both an older version I'm running on a VM and a fully up to date version but I wouldn't rule out that as the cause of your problem as the newer Thunderbird versions have not been trouble free.

It does look like AVAST is the most likely culprit in this case but good luck persuading them on that. I still think your most sensible course of action, now you've made them aware of a possible problem here, is to wait for the next AVAST version update and see if the issue remains.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
I recently installed Thunderbird with 3 IMAP accounts on a PC and didn't encounter any problems.
On my PC I use eM Client with IMAP and I don't encounter any problems.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android