Author Topic: Where to look for an offline installer  (Read 1651 times)

Offline heboyay341

Re: Where to look for an offline installer
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2024, 05:55:41 PM »
Just searched "Avast downloads" and away we went. Gives the option for online or offline downloads.
Oh yeah.
I found the official download page. Thank you.
I don’t know what version and release of Avast it is, but I’ll try.
It’s very interesting why there are no links to this page on the official website? I searched the support section and didn't find this information either. If there is official support here, please tell me why there are no links to download the offline installer? However, there is such a section on the website.

If anyone is interested, here is this page
https://www.avast.com/en-eu/installation-files#pc

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2024, 06:01:27 PM »
The off-line installation file URL is posted on each new Avast program update Notification and it always pulls down the latest avast version not the version number where it was posted.

e.g. I just downloaded that off-line installation file and it downloads Avast 24.4.9067.0, so I don't know where that sits within compatibility given what 'igor' said.
Thank you for showing me this. I see that the Avast version is 24.xx. It definitely won't be supported by my operating system.
I am sad.

Offline tmod700

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2024, 06:05:32 PM »
Just searched "Avast downloads" and away we went. Gives the option for online or offline downloads.
Oh yeah.
I found the official download page. Thank you.
I don’t know what version and release of Avast it is, but I’ll try.
It’s very interesting why there are no links to this page on the official website? I searched the support section and didn't find this information either. If there is official support here, please tell me why there are no links to download the offline installer? However, there is such a section on the website.

If anyone is interested, here is this page
https://www.avast.com/en-eu/installation-files#pc
Yeah I don't get it, One would think that if Avast had certain criteria for installing on Win7 it would be under the system requirements category or if they no longer supported Win7 then they would remove reference to it.

Hope that works for you though.

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2024, 06:08:43 PM »
Yeah I don't get it, One would think that if Avast had certain criteria for installing on Win7 it would be under the system requirements category or if they no longer supported Win7 then they would remove reference to it.

Hope that works for you though.
No. This won't work.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 07:00:20 PM »
The off-line installation file URL is posted on each new Avast program update Notification and it always pulls down the latest avast version not the version number where it was posted.

e.g. I just downloaded that off-line installation file and it downloads Avast 24.4.9067.0, so I don't know where that sits within compatibility given what 'igor' said.
Thank you for showing me this. I see that the Avast version is 24.xx. It definitely won't be supported by my operating system.
I am sad.

Yes it is unfortunate but Avast don't retain old versions for distribution.

There are some sites that store old versions of programs, including Avast such as FileHippo https://filehippo.com/, there are others.  But it is very much hit and miss to get a version that still supports Win7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2024, 09:46:44 AM »

There are some sites that store old versions of programs, including Avast such as FileHippo https://filehippo.com/, there are others.  But it is very much hit and miss to get a version that still supports Win7.
I don't want to use third party download sites. That's why I came here.

When I used the online installer, yesterday I received version 22.xx. Therefore, Avast has the ability to install previous versions on older operating systems. But the online installation fails with errors. That's why I'm asking about the offline installer.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2024, 10:18:24 AM »
What kind of error does it end with? Isn't there a button to show log in the error window?
If not, can you check if C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs\Setup.log file is present, and if so, attach it?

(I'm assuming an Internet connection exists; if the machine if offline, then the online installer naturally won't work.)

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2024, 02:34:37 PM »

Most of the third party sites, like the one mentioned, are perfectly safe. The problem, in relation to this case, is that few, if any, of the sites hold archives of the offline installers. As other said here earlier they might have an older online installer but it will still be set up to download/install the current latest version.

If only AVAST had had a portable version it would make such matters pretty much redundant as there would be compatible version archives in perpetuity for every OS. Even if the definition updates didn't work beyond a certain point you'd still be protected enough if, say, you were using it on a VM and were careful with your browsing/downloading habits.

This will probably get deleted but if you can't get AVAST to work then try the very basic Panda Dome Free instead. It should install on even a Windows XP machine and works fine with Windows 7 too. I think you do have to have .NET Framework installed.   

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2024, 03:05:45 PM »
Before reinstalling the operating system, I installed Avast version 21.2.2455 (build 21.2.6096.705). Yes. It was not possible to upgrade to a newer one and I constantly saw a notification that I needed to upgrade the version of the operating system in order to get the new version of Avast.
I've never had any problems updating avast on my W7.SP1, it might be useful to know if your CPU is compatible.
......I believe latest Avast should work [unless you've got a really old CPU not supporting SSE2 instruction set, or something like that)
Unless that could be the reason:
I have Windows 7 SP1 Home Basic. I am doing a clean installation of the operating system and immediately want to install Avast Free antivirus, after which I only want to connect to the Internet. I want to have computer protection. before connecting to the Internet.
I'm pretty sure that for over a year now it's been impossible to install avast without being connected to the internet, even with an "offline" version.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2024, 04:11:36 PM »

Most of the third party sites, like the one mentioned, are perfectly safe. The problem, in relation to this case, is that few, if any, of the sites hold archives of the offline installers. As other said here earlier they might have an older online installer but it will still be set up to download/install the current latest version.

If only AVAST had had a portable version it would make such matters pretty much redundant as there would be compatible version archives in perpetuity for every OS. Even if the definition updates didn't work beyond a certain point you'd still be protected enough if, say, you were using it on a VM and were careful with your browsing/downloading habits.

This will probably get deleted but if you can't get AVAST to work then try the very basic Panda Dome Free instead. It should install on even a Windows XP machine and works fine with Windows 7 too. I think you do have to have .NET Framework installed.   

I've modified you post as there appears to be a malformation of quotes, I hope I have it right.

But that still doesn't get around the fact that Avast don't offer this.

Why would you think it would get deleted, if the OP can't use Avast they have to use something.  A possibility mentioned, because of the operating system as chris... post after yours, quoted 'igor' the CPU not supporting the SSE2 instruction set.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2024, 06:25:17 PM »
What kind of error does it end with? Isn't there a button to show log in the error window?
If not, can you check if C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs\Setup.log file is present, and if so, attach it?

(I'm assuming an Internet connection exists; if the machine if offline, then the online installer naturally won't work.)
I can't share this file. It provides all the information about the computer, including processor, ID, serial number, and much more, which will allow attackers to take advantage of it. For my digital security, I cannot do this.
Tell me, which part do I need to attach so that you can identify the installation?

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2024, 06:27:43 PM »
Why would you think it would get deleted, if the OP can't use Avast they have to use something.  A possibility mentioned, because of the operating system as chris... post after yours, quoted 'igor' the CPU not supporting the SSE2 instruction set.
My processor supports CCE2. I just looked on the Internet.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2024, 07:27:19 PM »
My processor supports CCE2. I just looked on the Internet.

OK hopefully Igor can get back to the topic and its SSE2

Igor also requested further information(Italics and Bold text are my highlighting the points:
"Windows 7" is a bit too vague. If you've got Windows 7 with all updates (let's say at least before the paid/extended support kicked in), then I believe latest Avast should work [unless you've got a really old CPU not supporting SSE2 instruction set, or something like that). However, a really old Windows 7, e.g. without SP1 or without SHA-2 signing update (there may be other required updates to be installed, I honestly don't know), that won't work.

I suggest to post a log from the unsuccessful installation, maybe it has some useful information.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2024, 01:50:19 AM »

Some forums with over zealous moderators or those policed by the software creator(s) themselves can get 'funny' about posts that might be seen to promote other programs despite there being no alternative.

I know one where just talking about where to find old installers will get you an official warning (x3 = a permanent ban) and any help provided with using an older version will get the whole thread removed and a warning likewise.

There are some very odd individuals out there and if they're running a forum the power they have can be wielded in all sorts of unpredictable ways even when you'd think it was not in their own interests.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2024, 01:57:31 AM »
I don't really see that being the case on these forums.  If they can't use Avast for whatever reason, I personally don't see a reason why a suggestion that may work for them would be frowned upon.

We have a regular forum helper who hasn't used Avast for some time :)
Pondus in Reply #1 :)