Author Topic: Phishing message  (Read 591 times)

Offline bluenotes

Phishing message
« on: May 10, 2024, 01:20:44 AM »
Screenshot attached

First time this has ever happened. When I launch Avast browser I get phishing warning. Same thing happens if I click new tab. No new extensions have been recently installed. Here is the url.
chrome-extension://jfijboeaeajnoejbcdbhejlnmhepeige/index.html

What should I do to fix?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Phishing message
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 03:17:28 AM »
I have replied in the other topic - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327427.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bluenotes

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 03:57:39 AM »
Don't understand what's going. I went to go try your suggestions, I launched the browser and it's working fine now. I didn't do anything to fix it.
However, getting that warning makes me not trust the browser. I do my online banking, pay my bills, and make online purchases in the browser. I liked the browser. If there is no explanation of why this happened, I'll just switch to the new browser I'm using to write this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 04:21:05 AM »
Potentially you could get this on any chromium based browser given this part chrome-extension:// and a string of text (running the index.html file) makes it hard to determine what extension.

Of course it could also be a false positive, which is something that can't be determined based on the information available.

I don't use any chromium browser I have never really like it as a browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Sandu-RM

• Taking care of the Secure Browser releases
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 07:57:01 AM »
Dear user,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're genuinely sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our team is already looking into the issue and working to resolve it promptly. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Sandu

Offline Sandu-RM

• Taking care of the Secure Browser releases
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 09:09:56 AM »
It looks like this was a false positive and it should be fixed now.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Sandu

Offline asilviu

• SW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 09:31:37 AM »
Don't understand what's going. I went to go try your suggestions, I launched the browser and it's working fine now. I didn't do anything to fix it.
However, getting that warning makes me not trust the browser. I do my online banking, pay my bills, and make online purchases in the browser. I liked the browser. If there is no explanation of why this happened, I'll just switch to the new browser I'm using to write this.

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns on our forum. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and confusion caused by the recent security alert in your browser.

Please be assured that the alert you encountered is part of our robust cybersecurity measures designed to protect users like yourself from potential threats, including phishing attempts. It appears that in your case, this was a false positive—a rare but not impossible occurrence where the browser mistakenly identifies a safe page as suspicious. Our team has already addressed this specific issue to prevent it from happening again.

We understand the importance of trust, especially when it comes to managing sensitive activities like online banking and shopping. Our priority is to offer a secure browsing environment without compromising user experience. If you have any more questions or if something similar happens again, please do not hesitate to reach out directly. We value your feedback and are here to assist you.

Thank you for your understanding and for giving us the opportunity to rectify this matter. We hope you will continue to enjoy a safe browsing experience with us.

Warm regards,
Silviu

Offline bluenotes

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 04:16:49 PM »
All seem to be well. I did a Qualys browercheck and passed. I will be installing their plugin that routinely checks for any browser and plugin vulnerabilities. I will continue to use. :)