Author Topic: NEW Avast version 24.8  (Read 9522 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Re: NEW Avast version 24.8
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2024, 03:08:42 PM »
I have three instances of Firefox 115.14.0esr (64bit) running on Windows 11 Pro 23H2 with security.tls.enable_0rtt_data = true

I do not seem to have any issues with Gmail.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 03:36:35 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.7.6124, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 x64, Avast Free 24.7.6124, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline wir1313

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2024, 06:55:54 PM »
I followed instructions and got a bunch of numbers https://www.top10vpn.com/tools/what-is-my-dns-server/

Should I post the numbers here? I don't want to compromise my computer by posting something that should be private.

How will this tell me anything?

You don't have to provide it. Generally, what DNS servers you use is not a secret that can expose the user to problems.

I asked because I'm still trying to understand the common denominator of this problem. Why do some of us have it and others don't...

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2024, 01:44:41 PM »
The new version has the same malfunctions that were present in 24.7, namely when any Google sites (Search, Calendar, and especially Gmail) are open in a Firefox browser, after a brief period of minutes the sites will fail to refresh or reload, causing a yellow popup in Gmail to read "Oops, the system encountered an error..." and behaving as if the connection is offline. When this happens, the only way to get Gmail or Search or Calendar to refresh is to close out the browser and relaunch Firefox. Disabling Avast web shields immediately corrects the issue. With webshields enabled, the error keeps happening repeatedly when Gmail is left open in a Firefox tab. The issue does not happen when using a private Firefox browser, which requires the user to sign into accounts every time the browser is launched, which makes it a troublesome workaround.

Users of Avast Free and paid version on Windows 10 or earlier PC computers with Firefox have extensively reported the issue on the thread fo the previous Avast version 24.7... https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=328185.0
Hi @Ferrara and others who have reported this issue. Today we released a hotfix that should address this problem.

This hotfix should get installed automatically, but you can also follow the steps below to ensure it's applied:
  • Open Avast and go to - Menu - Settings - General - Update.
  • Click the second CHECK FOR UPDATES button.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open Avast and go to - Menu - About Avast
  • Ensure that the last 3 digits of the build number read "865" or "866" (see the attached screenshot)
  • Open your web browser and try to replicate the problem.
ō͡≡о

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2024, 06:34:02 PM »
The new version has the same malfunctions that were present in 24.7, namely when any Google sites (Search, Calendar, and especially Gmail) are open in a Firefox browser, after a brief period of minutes the sites will fail to refresh or reload, causing a yellow popup in Gmail to read "Oops, the system encountered an error..." and behaving as if the connection is offline. When this happens, the only way to get Gmail or Search or Calendar to refresh is to close out the browser and relaunch Firefox. Disabling Avast web shields immediately corrects the issue. With webshields enabled, the error keeps happening repeatedly when Gmail is left open in a Firefox tab. The issue does not happen when using a private Firefox browser, which requires the user to sign into accounts every time the browser is launched, which makes it a troublesome workaround.

Users of Avast Free and paid version on Windows 10 or earlier PC computers with Firefox have extensively reported the issue on the thread fo the previous Avast version 24.7... https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=328185.0
Hi @Ferrara and others who have reported this issue. Today we released a hotfix that should address this problem.

This hotfix should get installed automatically, but you can also follow the steps below to ensure it's applied:
  • Open Avast and go to - Menu - Settings - General - Update.
  • Click the second CHECK FOR UPDATES button.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open Avast and go to - Menu - About Avast
  • Ensure that the last 3 digits of the build number read "865" or "866" (see the attached screenshot)
  • Open your web browser and try to replicate the problem.

I believe this has fixed it! I followed your instructions and am now on build 867, see screenshot. So far the problem has not happened and Google sites are working properly in Firefox. I will leave the browser and tabs open all day to make sure it has gone away. Thanks very much, I hope this issue doesn't recur again with future version and build updates.

Another thing that got corrected is that with the latest version 24.8 there is a new UI for the software updater and the check for updates button was not working. Now it does work and revealed over a dozen out of date apps which were all updated with the restart. I usually update an app when I open it to use it but there are some apps I seldom use and those were out of date.

Thanks again!

Offline wir1313

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2024, 10:41:59 PM »
Mine has updated to .867 but too early to tell. I need a few days of use to determine the situation.

Offline alicecampbell

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2024, 07:39:27 PM »
I don't seem to have this problem any more. My build is 867.

Offline jst_ghost

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2024, 02:55:40 PM »
I've been having this same issue for a while now. Was forwarded to a few posts and ended up here. Currently with a 868 build and the issue is still happening every now and then - when typing in search parameters in an already filled search bar (already on some site), it just clears the search and resets to address of the last page.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2024, 05:52:01 PM »
I've been having this same issue for a while now. Was forwarded to a few posts and ended up here. Currently with a 868 build and the issue is still happening every now and then - when typing in search parameters in an already filled search bar (already on some site), it just clears the search and resets to address of the last page.

I updated to build 867 two days ago and all has been working well for me. Updated to 868 today and still working well.

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2024, 02:42:38 PM »
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. Is this the only symptom you're experiencing? No errors at all? Will this problem persist when only Avast Web Shield is disabled?
Are you using Google Chrome or some other web browser?
ō͡≡о

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2024, 05:23:49 AM »

• New detection dialogs for Dating Scams.
  • Avast AV supports Windows 11 ARM.
  • Onboarding enhancements for premium users.
  • More bug fixes and improvements.

I updated my Avast just now to 24.8, and I only have "Bug fixes and improvements" in the update notes.

Additionally, the Smart scan option which was previously on "Run manually" was changed to "Monthly" on its own after this update. Was that done on purpose or did mine glitch? I would rather things like that not change because then it makes me paranoid about what other settings were changed for me without me knowing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 05:25:55 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2024, 10:56:01 AM »
Additionally, the Smart scan option which was previously on "Run manually" was changed to "Monthly" on its own after this update. Was that done on purpose or did mine glitch?

Good catch @Dinobot2.
I found my Smart Scan frequency setting was changed, showing "Monthly" as well.
I have now changed back to "Manual"
That was sneaky change (bug maybe) and could have caused me some confusion and head scratching if it had run automatically unexpectedly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2024, 12:17:44 PM »
Additionally, the Smart scan option which was previously on "Run manually" was changed to "Monthly" on its own after this update. Was that done on purpose or did mine glitch?

Good catch @Dinobot2.
That was sneaky change (bug maybe) and could have caused me some confusion and head scratching if it had run automatically unexpectedly.

I saw that also but it wasn't set to trigger until 1st of the month (I think), so it got cancelled.

For me changing User Settings should be a no, no, unless there is a serious reason and if so should be in the details on the updates to the program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2024, 05:00:35 PM »

Good catch @Dinobot2.

Yes, I only saw it because I check settings regularly like the neurotic psychopath that I am, but if I wasn't I would have gotten the scan popping up on Sunday and been very confused and worried.

Offline merckxist

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2024, 06:48:12 PM »

Good catch @Dinobot2.

Yes, I only saw it because I check settings regularly like the neurotic psychopath that I am, but if I wasn't I would have gotten the scan popping up on Sunday and been very confused and worried.
+1, thank you, @Dinobot2

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2024, 06:44:13 PM »
I suddenly found Avast popped open on my screen after having run a Smart Scan automatically (18:00 on the first of the month).

I see no other reason than to show a bunch of bogus alerts followed by the upsell screens every month.

This flies in the face of "Avast scans as needed on the fly so no need to manually scan things or set periodic scans"

Edit: I was still running 24.7 so this isn't something new for 24.8 but it must've come in a definition update or something. Or already a thing in 24.7
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 07:04:15 PM by Rundvleeskroket »