Author Topic: serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch  (Read 59715 times)

Hard_ROCKER

Re: serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »
This is the result of replacing the updated driver on my machine. Some of the resident providers cannot start, those are : Standard Shield, P2P Shield and IM Shield. The rest work fine.

Also i can see the following logged in event viewer(it logs the same thing every 2 seconds).

AAVM - initialization error: DriverScanListenThread: FilterComm_Send, AVMON_COMMAND_THREAD_READY failed!, 80070057.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 12:05:26 AM »
Vlk, how can we benchmark the performance before and after the new driver?
I can test but I want to do it technically, not just an impression of better performance.
???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »
This is the result of replacing the updated driver on my machine. Some of the resident providers cannot start, those are : Standard Shield, P2P Shield and IM Shield. The rest work fine.

Also i can see the following logged in event viewer(it logs the same thing every 2 seconds).

AAVM - initialization error: DriverScanListenThread: FilterComm_Send, AVMON_COMMAND_THREAD_READY failed!, 80070057.

Sorry, I forgot to say that you need to install the 4.8 beta first...
That is, the driver assumes that the other avast components are of v4.8.

Vlk, how can we benchmark the performance before and after the new driver?
I can test but I want to do it technically, not just an impression of better performance.

I'm not sure what exactly you'd like to hear...
As I said, the problem is not reproducible on any of our Vista machines (and there are at least tens of these here).

The patch is only intended for people who believe they're hit by the problem.
If you're in such a position, it should be fairly easy to tell if the patch has any effect or not.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Solemn

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 02:13:16 AM »
Thanks for the update on the issue Vlk! However, I have to apologize that I'm not one that enjoys beta-testing often due to stabilities issues that can sometimes arise in programs (especially in Vista), but I might give it a shot depending on what others who've experienced this have found. 

I hope the staff doesn't mind this, but my mood on this might change soon as I do wish to offer my contribution in solving this issue.  Perhaps I'm just a bit paranoid in keeping full system stability, but I guess me having to manually customize a few things and install a beta is what's causing me to be a bit iffy. :-\  Maybe somebody can help clarify that there will be no (to little) possibility in any form of system damage in installing these beta's or moving on from avast! beta's to final builds (and if that the modification of the standard shield won't do any harm similar to this). But aside from that, I'll definitely consider taking up the update sometime soon though.

cvsa

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »
i was under 4.8 version !! and still this morning , i had to reboot my computer because of imposibility to access the internet !! help please !

How can i get back to previous system32 file ? do i have to make an "avast! repair" , can i download previous file ?

This modification bugged my PC  :( :'(

vlk please help
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:32:44 AM by cvsa »

cvsa

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 02:12:46 PM »
up up up ;D

cvsa

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »
sorry to insist, but Vlk, could you send me the original file so i could copy it in my system32 folder  and repair my computer ?

Thx

rbeane

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »
Just a suggestion...Might be quicker to uninstall and reinstall

cvsa

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 10:01:02 PM »
maybe but i would lose my personnal settings... :-\

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 10:45:42 PM »
A repair of the installation should work (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast! antivirus -> Repair).

Anyway, to be honest, I doubt the problems you're seeing are related to the driver.
We will have this driver in the next 4.8 beta refresh (due tomorrow), so we will so what the general acceptance will be like, but I'd be very much surprised if it were causing any problems... the changes were quite "benign", so to say...

Cheers
Vlk

index error

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »
I've the same problem. The HD works more than normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTEL CORE Q6600 rev. G0, 3 GB P DDR2 1066, GE-FORCE 8800 GT 512 MB VRAM, motherboard ASUS P5K-E WI-FI, HD Western Digital 120 GB SATA II, windows vista home premium 32 bit

Solemn

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »
A repair of the installation should work (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast! antivirus -> Repair).

Anyway, to be honest, I doubt the problems you're seeing are related to the driver.
We will have this driver in the next 4.8 beta refresh (due tomorrow), so we will so what the general acceptance will be like, but I'd be very much surprised if it were causing any problems... the changes were quite "benign", so to say...

Cheers
Vlk

Alright then, I think I'll try out the new beta and see if it fixes anything once it's out.  Vista does have its quirks though that sometimes drive me up the wall a bit (even with SP1 on) ::) so I guess it'll just take a while to iron everything out.

I also have a question though for those who have any information about this, but will installing a beta affect how I'll have to update avast! to the final release version of 4.8?  For instance, will I have to do a reinstall/uninstall or will it just update normally to the final version without any problems?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
I also have a question though for those who have any information about this, but will installing a beta affect how I'll have to update avast! to the final release version of 4.8?  For instance, will I have to do a reinstall/uninstall or will it just update normally to the final version without any problems?

No difference at all. You simply invoke program update from within the avast GUI, and it will take care of the rest (no need to uninstall/reinstall etc).

Solemn

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 12:07:19 AM »
Thanks Vlk! I think I'll give the new beta a shot then when it comes out.  Hopefully this will resolve this tricky issue. ;)

cvsa

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »
it works this morning;.. maybe you're right and the problem occured also the day i installed vista sp1 so...
thx again