Author Topic: abnormal shutdown of Avast Home  (Read 2438 times)

chuckie®

abnormal shutdown of Avast Home
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »
Lately Avast has been shutting down on me.  I did 'upgrade' my Spybot S & D, and inadvertently allowed Tea Timer to install and run.  Since realizing this, I have removed Tea Timer, however the problem still exists.  Apparently ashServe.exe is not continuing to run, as I can go into 'Services' and manually start it.  It does intermittently shut down after that.  Is there a fix that I can do, or do I have to reinstall Avast?
Actual verbiage of error:  Runtime Error!
                                  Program:  D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\ashServ.exe
                                  Abnormal Program Termination.

I am also presented with an option to describe the problem and send it, this, however does not work.

CharleyO

Re: abnormal shutdown of Avast Home
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »

Welcome to the forums, chuckie.    :)

I do not believe TeaTimer is causing your problem but I could be wrong. However, I also updated to the new version of Spybot just a couple of days ago. I run Spybot with TeaTimer active all the time and it has never interfered with avast. There is most likely another problem.

Please download HijackThis from the link below, run the program but do not make any fixes, and then post the log results in this thread using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted. Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 02:15:34 PM »
You could be infected (with Bagle) that disables avast... :'(
I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Use SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Repair your avast installation and schedule a boot time scanning.
The best things in life are free.

chuckie®

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:26:25 AM »
Thank y'all for all the suggestions!  I have tried the suggested programs and they found nothing amiss.  I also went to a site that checked, specifically, for the 'Bagel' virus, and it found nothing.  Therefore, I uninstalled Avast and then reinstalled it, and now all seems to be running normally.  If it goes 'haywire' again, I'll post back.  Thanks again for the help...