Author Topic: OutLook  (Read 7575 times)

Dieselman

OutLook
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »
I installed Avast 4.8 but I do not use OutLook. I know how to terminate it from right clicking on the tray icon but I cannot disable the service. Is there a way to disable it. I tried in services.msc also. Do I have to uninstall and do a custom install?

Dieselman

Re: OutLook
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
Anyone................Tech?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
A custom installation will uninstall avast Outlook plugin, you can change the installation afterwards (if you install the plugin at the first time).
But, why will you worry about the plugin? It will only start if Outlook starts, it does not take *any* resources...
The best things in life are free.

Dieselman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:51:29 PM »
A custom installation will uninstall avast Outlook plugin, you can change the installation afterwards (if you install the plugin at the first time).
But, why will you worry about the plugin? It will only start if Outlook starts, it does not take *any* resources...
Right now its using 2,888K. I know thats nothing. Can I do an uninstall of certain features and not a complete uninstall?

Dieselman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »
4get it. I figured it out myself how to uninstall the Outlook plugin.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
4get it. I figured it out myself how to uninstall the Outlook plugin.
Through Control Panel...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »
I installed Avast 4.8 but I do not use OutLook. I know how to terminate it from right clicking on the tray icon but I cannot disable the service. Is there a way to disable it. I tried in services.msc also. Do I have to uninstall and do a custom install?

By default the Outlook/Express is disabled/terminated unless MS Outlook (not express) is found, that is the way it was for me when I first installed avast, almost 4 years ago.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dieselman

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »

By default the Outlook/Express is disabled/terminated unless MS Outlook (not express) is found, that is the way it was for me when I first installed avast, almost 4 years ago.

No cause the mail shield is still running. I had to do a custom add on and uninstall the mail shield plugin.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 07:28:39 PM »
Which service are you talking about, exactly? The Outlook plugin doesnt have any service - it loads directly into the Outlook process. This means that unless Outlook is running, it consumes virtually no resources at all...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
If you're talking about C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe, it is the avast! e-Mail Scanner service used by Internet Mail provider (for POP3 email programs like Outlook Express and Thunderbird).

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »
I guess I was wrong. Sorry. I thought ashMailSv was for Outlook.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
Not a problem, which leads us to a question, what email client do you use ?

The Internet Mail (ashMaiSv.exe) is for pop3 email clients, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, etc. The Outlook/Exchange plug-in is specifically for MS Outlook.

Another point if you only use web-based email, viewed through your browser it is still advisable to have the Internet Mail provider running and increase the sensitivity to High. Some malware comes with its own email program and avast would detect that trying to send email. So it might provide an indication that you have an undetected or hidden trojan spambot on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dieselman

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »
Not a problem, which leads us to a question, what email client do you use ?

The Internet Mail (ashMaiSv.exe) is for pop3 email clients, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, etc. The Outlook/Exchange plug-in is specifically for MS Outlook.

Another point if you only use web-based email, viewed through your browser it is still advisable to have the Internet Mail provider running and increase the sensitivity to High. Some malware comes with its own email program and avast would detect that trying to send email. So it might provide an indication that you have an undetected or hidden trojan spambot on your system.

I don't use any of those. I always check my email via Yahoo main page.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 09:44:17 PM »
The point that David is making is totally separate from how you read your mail. 

David is recommending to leave the Internet Mail scanner running so that you would be alerted if your system were to be compromised by an email spambot infection.

Otherwise your system could be sending out copious amounts of spam without your knowledge.

Dieselman

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »
I do have it running. You can right click on the "a" in the systray and terminate the Outlook plugin which I did. I did not terminate the Internet Email scanner.