Author Topic: Big latency problem since the last update  (Read 5800 times)

rakeel

Big latency problem since the last update
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »
I've been using Avast for over a year now and never had a problem with it in the past.Lately right after the most recent program update I've been getting completely unacceptable latency problems when playing games online.With resident protection disabled I get <300ms ping times when it's enabled it skyrockets to over 1400ms, I've tested this multiple times and it is definitely caused by Avast I can literally see the change as soon as I disable On-Access Protection.

I've tracked the problem down to 2 of the providers, I can have them all enabled except for Internet Mail and  Web Shield.With all the others running I have no problem,as soon as either one or both are enabled I start to get increased latency.

This affects the following 2 games:

World of Warcraft
Everquest

Is there any way to completely exclude just those 2 games from being scanned by those 2 providers,or any way to fix this? I didn't notice anything under the customization options.If there is no way to make an exception or fix it where could I download the previous 4.7 version of Avast?

NAMOR

Re: Big latency problem since the last update
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
I'm not having any problems with WoW since Avast released version 4.8. I can't say much for the other game.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 07:46:05 PM »
The Internet Mail should have zero impact unless you are checking (auto check, etc.) or sending email during your gaming.

The web shield monitors http port 80 traffic it shouldn't have any impact on pings as that doesn't use the http protocol and as such won't be monitored. I don't doubt you are experiencing problems with the game, but ping shouldn't be impacted by either program. So I'm at a loss as to why it is happening and more so that pings go down when one is disabled.

You mention:
Quote from: rakeel
With resident protection disabled I get <300ms ping times when it's enabled it skyrockets to over 1400ms, I've tested this multiple times and it is definitely caused by Avast I can literally see the change as soon as I disable On-Access Protection.

This is a little more than just the web shield and internet mail and includes all the shields including the standard shield, the main scanning engine. If the game is constantly updating files (logs, etc.) on your system then the standard shield could be monitoring/scanning that activity, depending on the sensitivity and the file type ?

Unfortunately I'm not a gamer and don't know if it uses the http protocol for the game interaction or what ports they use ?

Hopefully one of the avast users who are gamers will see this, Perhaps .
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rakeel

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
To be honest it really didn't make much sense to me either why those two shields would be the ones causing the problem, and this only started happening after the latest program update.I just re-tested it again to be sure and at least on Everquest as soon as either of those is enabled I start to get increased latency and dropped packets.Basically I can have every other shield running except for those two, then as soon as I enable either one or both at the same time the problem pops up immediately.When this is happening I'm not even surfing the web or checking email so it has me stumped.

I'll do some more testing on WoW tonight, leaving those 2 shields on as I play, if I encounter the same problem I'll try disabling those two and see if it makes a difference.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:16:02 PM »
Rather than disable first, check if there is any activity on either of the providers, you can open the on-access protection, just left click the avast icon the on-access window will open, check if anything is being scanned (last scanned and scanned count would be changing), if there is you can terminate from there.

Pausing the web shield isn't enough if there is activity, it will still pass through the web shield proxy but not be scanned. You will be asked do you want to persist the changes answer No or it will remain terminated when you reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security