Author Topic: Outlook addin hanging with Avast 4.8  (Read 38215 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Outlook addin hanging with Avast 4.8
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »
In my Outlook Add-in Manager section, just the Avast 4 plugin shows
Where... I'm checking mine and can't find...
Although I have 8 providers installed and 8 running when I open MS Outlook. ???
The best things in life are free.

jasqid

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »
In my Outlook Add-in Manager section, just the Avast 4 plugin shows
Where... I'm checking mine and can't find...
Although I have 8 providers installed and 8 running when I open MS Outlook. ???

Yeah, Just as BJReplay says.... I have the provider running again and in the addin section of the trust center, it is not listed anywhere on that screen.

Kerodo

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »
Hi guys....  I'm looking where the previous poster mentioned in Outlook under Tools->Options->Other->Advanced->Add-In Manager.  The avast! 4 plugin shows right there on mine..  I have 7 providers, 7 running by the way... not 8.

So far I am having no issues, so I'm starting to think this was just some quirk in my previous Xp install. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:33:49 PM by Kerodo »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 08:10:01 PM »
The Home version only has 7 providers, it doesn't have the Script Blocker of the Pro version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jasqid

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »
Hi guys....  I'm looking where the previous poster mentioned in Outlook under Tools->Options->Other->Advanced->Add-In Manager.  The avast! 4 plugin shows right there on mine..  I have 7 providers, 7 running by the way... not 8.

So far I am having no issues, so I'm starting to think this was just some quirk in my previous Xp install. 

Is this outlook 03? OL 2007 is different and has the add-in manager in the trust center.

Kerodo

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:15:59 AM »
Yes, mine is Office/Outlook 2003....  I'm sure 2007 has changed.

elamid

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
I have investigated another case where there was a conflict between other plugins installed and the avast plugin.
OK.  BTW, no new or updated plugins on any of the computers running OL2007 - just updated avast to 4.8.  If there is a conflict between avast and other plug ins, its due to the new avast.

Finally, neither my list of add-ins, nor jasqid's above shows avast.

Hi guys,

Using OL2007, in the trust center => plugins => at the bottom of the window : choose "Exchange Client Extensions" in the dropdown list and click on the button on the right (don't how it's labeled in English as I got a French release) then you should see the Avast! plugin ...

HTH,

Eric.

BJReplay

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 11:59:51 PM »
I thought this problem may have been related to a virus definition, because on two PCs (my desktop and laptop) avast seemed to be working fine yesterday.

However, the problem is back again today - long hang in outlook trying to display a message.  Effectively unusable (so avast is turned off now).

This is a real problem for Outlook 2007.  Happy to provide more information to the avast team if they tell me what they need to troubleshoot this problem.

BJReplay

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 01:18:26 AM »
OL2007 Exchange Clients Extensions (Old "Add In Manager" for 2003).
Not much that isn't bog standard.  Still Hanging  :'(

jjthomas

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 10:45:09 AM »
I'm having the same problem here.  Outlook hangs for several minutes when receiving email.  If I disable the Outlook/Exchange provider, the problem goes away.  If I enable the Outlook/Exchange provider, the problem reappears.

I'm running Vista 64bit Ultima.  Using the Windows Firewall, XAMPP, Ad-aware 2008 (Problem started before I installed Ad-aware).  Outlook is part of Office Professional 2007, complete install.

Vista was a fresh install on March 30, a couple of weeks ago.

-JJ

mitchellj

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »
Got the hanging problem as well I'm afraid, when I boot outlook 2007 it just hangs at the outlook spash screen. If I end task it and retart outlook I'm prompted with the "The plug avast has caused a problem, do you wish to disable" screen. Clicking yes allows me to open outlook.

This is on Vista x64 Ultimate, with the additional Outlook plugins "Funambol, PDFMOutlook" installed and running.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
mitch

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
it just hangs at the outlook spash screen.
In the past, sometimes, this was due to a bad uninstallation of other spam/antivirus programs. Does any antivirus come OEM with this machine?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »
OL2007 Exchange Clients Extensions (Old "Add In Manager" for 2003).
Not much that isn't bog standard.  Still Hanging  :'(

Do you happen to have the Scan archived messages on open enabled that could kick off scanning of large pst files (assuming that OL2007 uses that format) and you haven't unchecked the Unread messages only. Also the scan message bodies could increase the time taken to scan email folders.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jjthomas

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »
Negative on "Scan archived message on open."

This is a fresh install of Vista, no other antivirus software has been installed.

-JJ

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 12:07:39 AM »
It would be useful if anyone of you could dump the Outlook.exe process at the moment Outlook is hung.
If you're under Vista, it's as simple as starting the Task Manager, going to the Processes tab, right-clicking Outlook.exe and choosing the "Create dump file" command.

Once you have the dump, ZIP it and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (note that you won't have READ access to the ftp site, just WRITE - so you won't be even abe to see the file that you have not uploaded).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.