Author Topic: Outlook addin hanging with Avast 4.8  (Read 38256 times)

jasqid

Outlook addin hanging with Avast 4.8
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:43:40 AM »
I run Outlook 2007 on several of PC's with Avast 4.8 (Been using Avast for years now...) I've noticed since upgrading to 4.8 that when loading Outlook on all 3 of my machines, it's freezing up. I have to close the process in task manager... when Outlook 07 restarts... I get the popup "Outlook had a serious problem with the Avast Addin...do you wish to disable? blah blah.."

Since I have been getting this error multiple times per day on my desktop and laptop... I have diabled that module/add-in.

You guys may already be aware of the issue.... if not I thought I'd post the problem.

To provide some additional details... Running Outlook 2007 SP1 with the latest Outlook Connector software for my OfficeLive subscription. I did have the Outlook Connector Profile setup with my password in the Outlook Module under the Advanced tab.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Outlook addin hanging with Avast 4.8
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:15:05 AM »
Does disabling the outlook provider in avast makes a difference?
Does it makes a difference if you do not use the Outlook Connector?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
Interesting, is this Windows XP or Vista?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jasqid

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:28:51 AM »
Hy, guys... this is in Vista Ultimate 32 bit...

I disable the avast outlook module and no problems.
Is there a way to log it to send you folks? I may have some windows Event viewer logs.... will search those and if I find something post them here.

jasqid

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:33:47 AM »
Ok, I went through the Avast Logs and couldnt find anything regarding that module (dll). I do have some details from the event viewer and screen caps of the logs. I hope this can help determind the problem.  If there is any further info I could provide please let me know.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:          4/9/2008 11:33:10 PM
Event ID:      1002
Task Category: (101)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      xxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The program OUTLOOK.EXE version 12.0.6300.5000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: ffc Start Time: 01c89abb60ad8443 Termination Time: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-10T03:33:10.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>16920</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>xxxxxxxxx</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
    <Data>12.0.6300.5000</Data>
    <Data>ffc</Data>
    <Data>01c89abb60ad8443</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:47:25 AM by jasqid »

BJReplay

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 04:16:33 AM »
Hi, I'm getting a similar problem.  A very long wait (seems like 5 minutes) displaying any e-mail with web content, or sending an HTML format e-mail.

Also, web pages that will never load.

I initially thought it was an issue with my internet connection, but when I changed connections, still slow.

I terminated, then restarted Web Shield, and the problem was resolved.

Outlook and web is not always slow, but when is, it will remain slow until avast is terminated and restarted (and, it seems just the web shield is the critical component).  I'd say that half of the time, when web shield starts, the system is very slow, and half the time, it isn't.  That means, that when it is slow, around half the time restarting web sheild fixes the problem.

I'm seeing this with Outlook 2007 SP1 (12.0.6300.5000), IE7 (7.0.6001.18000), running Avast 4.8 (4.8.1169, VPS 080410-1).

I'm seeing this on at least two PCs - running Vista Ultimate (SP1: Build 6001) and XP (SP2)

Kerodo

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 05:05:13 AM »
I will add my 2 cents also on this.  I installed 4.8 about a week ago, and noticed that Outlook crashed a couple of times during ordinary use.  I think it's due to the Outlook plugin also, but not positive.  Outlook has never ever crashed on me even once prior to this. 

I'm on Linux right now, but will try to install Win tomorrow and try it again.  I am on XP with Outlook 2003 here.  I want to use Avast, so if the crashing occurs again, I will probably just disable the Outlook plugin if possible...

jasqid

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 06:00:24 AM »
Yeah, I havent had any problems with Outlook 07 on either machines since disabling the avast outlook addin.
(I feel so... vulnerable). :o

Kerodo

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 06:57:52 AM »
The email scanner isn't a high priority for me since my ISP scans anyway.  But it would be nice to see the issue worked out in future releases if it is indeed a problem.  I will report back in the next few days if I see it happen again on my new Xp install....

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 07:23:17 AM »
I am unable to reproduce these problems with Outlook 2003, the Outlook plugin and avast 4.8.1178 (the current beta program).

Outlook is not my preferred mail client but it has just downloaded several months worth of email from multiple accounts and any mails I display are instantly shown (including html emails). 

Can I ask that you please check the list of Outlook plugins.  I have investigated another case where there was a conflict between other plugins installed and the avast plugin.   

Please see Outlook > Tools > Options > Other tab > Advanced > Plugin manager

BJReplay

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »
I am unable to reproduce these problems with Outlook 2003, the Outlook plugin and avast 4.8.1178 (the current beta program).

Aside from kerodo who reported a crash rather than a hang with outlook 2003, the problem appears to be specific to Outook 2007.

When I reported a hang I should probably have clarified - outlook eventually starts responding again - but it hangs for a long time (seems around 5 minutes).

I've now seen this behaviour on three PCs running Outlook 2007 (two on Vista, one on XP), but have not seen it on three PCs running Outlook 2003 (one on Vista, two on XP).

Also, I can now add that when I have "show tray icon when scanning" set in advanced options for the exchange task, the icon appears when I open a new e-mail, or click on an e-mail so it shows in the reading pane, and does not disappear until after outlook starts responding again.

Finally, I can't be certain, but I'm fairly sure that it only hangs when displaying a new e-mail, rather than an already read e-mail.  This makes me think it might be related to avast attempting to insert a signature in the scanned e-mail ("insert signatures into clean e-mails" option).

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
the problem appears to be specific to Outook 2007.

That may well be; but as an aid to others trying to assist with Outlook 2007 could you please post a screenshot of the other plugins in use in Outlook 2007 as I suggested above?

jasqid

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »
Please see Outlook > Tools > Options > Other tab > Advanced > Plugin manager

In Outlook 2007, this does not exist. The "other" tab only has the Advanced Options button.

Disable/Enable Add-ins in Outlook 2007:

1. In Outlook 2007, go to Tools > Trust Center
2. Click on the Add-ins section
3. You will now see all active, non-active, and disabled add-ins. Click on the add-in you want to enable/disable and then click on the Go button towards the bottom.
4. This will then open up the COM add-ins page. You can then check/uncheck the add-ins you want to enabe or disable.

BJReplay

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 02:20:26 AM »
I have investigated another case where there was a conflict between other plugins installed and the avast plugin.
OK.  BTW, no new or updated plugins on any of the computers running OL2007 - just updated avast to 4.8.  If there is a conflict between avast and other plug ins, its due to the new avast.

Finally, neither my list of add-ins, nor jasqid's above shows avast.

Kerodo

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 06:32:46 AM »
I have just today reformatted and reinstalled XP, fully updated now with Office 2003, and clean.  Installed Avast 4.8 released version, so far no problems.  In my Outlook Add-in Manager section, just the Avast 4 plugin shows, along with some default plugin called "Exchange Extensions property pages", which appears to install with Outlook. 

So far no problems, but I will watch for a few days and see what happens.  If I have a crash or two, I will give the latest beta a try also, and see if that changes anything. 

Let's see how it goes for a while....