Author Topic: SpywareBlaster  (Read 9844 times)

Offline greyowl

SpywareBlaster
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:06:49 PM »
I use AvastHome and Online Armor Free Firewall.

I am wondering if SpywareBlaster would be a worthwhile addition to my security or if it would just be redundant and unneeded.

Does anyone have any experience?
Dell Laptop, 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, XPsp3, Avast Free, Windows Firewall

lee16

Re: SpywareBlaster
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 05:09:49 PM »
Spyareblaster would be a additional layer of defence yes, it works by intercepting cookies, known bad sites and also known bad activex plugins.

it prevents them by editing your browser settings, so yes, i would day it was very useful to help prevent infections on your computer.

--lee

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »
i've use it also for a long time
read these thread also http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25132.0   
                               http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=24960.0
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:13:02 PM by drhayden1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »
Spyareblaster would be a additional layer of defence yes, it works by intercepting cookies, known bad sites and also known bad activex plugins.

it prevents them by editing your browser settings, so yes, i would day it was very useful to help prevent infections on your computer.

SpywareBlaster doesn't actually intercept anything, it is a passive tool that adds bad urls to the Restricted sites list. It adds cookie protection (ad/tracking cookies) URLs to firefox so the cookie can't be downloaded from a site on this list. It also does the same for Internet Explorer and also adds activeX protection by preventing the installation of activeX based spyware, by adding the activeX ID and file names of known/unwanted malware/software.

All of this is done without the need for SpywareBlaster needing to run. So it also doesn't prevent them editing your browser settings either.

But it is a valuable tool immunising against malware and because it uses zero resources whilst giving that immunisation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee16

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »
Hmm, good point David, that you for pointing out my mistake there.

All of this is done without the need for SpywareBlaster needing to run. So it also doesn't prevent them editing your browser settings either.

I think you may of misunderstood, i meant that spyware blaster edits your browser settings (adds block lists) not prevents settings from being changed.
So in affect it sets up the browser to intercept websites/cookies/activex addons since before any of the formentioned end up on your comouter they are checked against any block/white lists.

--lee

Offline greyowl

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »
Thanks so much for the input.

So since SpywareBlaster is a passive tool and Avast is real time and OA is a firewall, is it important to also have an on demand spyware scanner or again would this be redundant.

If so, is there a best one to use?
Dell Laptop, 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, XPsp3, Avast Free, Windows Firewall

lee16

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:37 PM »
Alot of people use an on-demand scanner aswell to help with infections.

Some examples of my favourite on-demand scanners are:

Spybot - S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

SUPERantispyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

--lee

Spiritsongs

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
 :)  Hi GreyOwl :

Have you read the info at www.tallemu.com/compatibility.html  !?

IF you ever "upgrade" to the Paid Version of Online Armor, it MAY
 "conflict" with an antispyware/antitrojan program, so be careful .

Nowadays, the Best FREE antispyware/antitrojan program would be the
 FREE Ver of "SUPERAntiSpyware" ; there is no other FREE antispyware
 program near its effectiveness.

hines232

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 01:12:12 AM »
Is there any maintenance that has to be done with SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE, OTHER THAN CHECKING FOR UPDATES ??? I AM RUNNING IT and when I try to enable all protection i get an error message(they keep telling me they are working on a fix for me but----) hear nothing. I can only protect Internetexplorer and restricted sights. firefox and seamonkey gives me the error message.
Alot of people use an on-demand scanner aswell to help with infections.

Some examples of my favourite on-demand scanners are:

Spybot - S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

SUPERantispyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

--lee

micky77

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 04:50:17 PM »
I presume you are talking about spyware blaster not SAS ? What are the error messages.Are you using Spybot,there has been a conflict recently between Spybot and Spywareblaster
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:58:06 PM by micky77 »

hines232

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 07:52:27 PM »
I presume you are talking about spyware blaster not SAS ? What are the error messages.Are you using Spybot,there has been a conflict recently between Spybot and Spywareblaster
Yes, SpywareBlaster.(I will have to load all (protection) and get the error message and then post it for you. Later today. (No Spybot), was using it but was to confusing. Is completely off system, and reininstalled Spywareblaster.afterwords, same error.

They (spywareblaster) say they think they know what is worng, and are working on it and will let me no. When ???

Here is a JPG of error.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:30:45 PM by hines232 »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
 :)  Hi Hines :

Since your Signature indicates you are using Win ME, perhaps you should
  consider using an "older" version of SpywareBlaster, such as 3.5.1 and IF
  that does not work, the even older 3.4, available from
  www.filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/  !?

hines232

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 12:33:59 AM »
:)  Hi Hines :

Since your Signature indicates you are using Win ME, perhaps you should
  consider using an "older" version of SpywareBlaster, such as 3.5.1 and IF
  that does not work, the even older 3.4, available from
  www.filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/  !?
Can give it a shot, but I have 2 of the 4 protected. I do not have "Mozilla firefox" or "Seamonky" on my system. I have IE protected and restricted sights protected. Would that not be good enought ?? Again thanks for the Info.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »
I don't know why it is displaying the Firefox/Seamonkey if you don't have them installed, mine doesn't show seamonkey and I haven't got that installed.

Did you have either of them installed at some point ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hines232

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 01:11:43 AM »
I don't know why it is displaying the Firefox/Seamonkey if you don't have them installed, mine doesn't show seamonkey and I haven't got that installed.

Did you have either of them installed at some point ?
11/11/2004 for firefox (ran it for a day and got rid of it, stalled my system. SeaMonkey (never) Don't know even what it is !!