Author Topic: Home page  (Read 9919 times)

hines232

Home page
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
I have noticed my, (Avast/latest ver.4.8.1169 NOT BETA, latests update), After I have done an "on demand scan", Which I only do Monthly or if I think I have a problem, Such as today. besides loosing all icons if i mouse over them,( in bottom trays) which I was told was caused by resources shortage (windows ME), after the scan ends and I do a restart or shutdown, to get them back, at that point I can not get logged on to my home page. (MyWay.com). I have to do several restarts, or shut downs, and after a few of these it will finally let me get to my Home page. Other wise I stare at a blank screen, progress bar half way, and the (A) ball stops spinning. Any idea ??? Thanks

dypsis

Re: Home page
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:15 AM »
I have to do several restarts, or shut downs, and after a few of these it will finally let me get to my Home page. Other wise I stare at a blank screen, progress bar half way, and the (A) ball stops spinning. Any idea ??? Thanks
If I understand it correctly, your browser appears to blocked from loading your homepage.

Is that what you are saying?

hines232

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:09:23 AM »
I have to do several restarts, or shut downs, and after a few of these it will finally let me get to my Home page. Other wise I stare at a blank screen, progress bar half way, and the (A) ball stops spinning. Any idea ??? Thanks
If I understand it correctly, your browser appears to blocked from loading your homepage.

Is that what you are saying?
You are right on the bulls eye !!!

dypsis

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:25:39 AM »
Then I guess you have the same or similar problem as reported in these threads here and here.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:03:45 AM »
I cannot see any way that this is related to your problem dypsis

hines232 is using Windows Me.  For that operating system there is no ability for avast to support the "transparent intercept" of port 80 calls that is at the heart of your problem. 

In the old Win9x operating systems the only way the avast Webshield can scan http traffic is if the user actively sets up the kind of proxy that you have been working with and there cannot be the port 80 intercept problem.

Also this probelm is being reported as happening in a very specialized circumstance - very different from your "sometimes it work sometimes it does not" situation.  The avast team will, we hope, manage to diagnose your problem by direct investigation.

For hines232 we will need to know if the Webshield is being used along with a manual proxy in the browser.   

hines232

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »
No proxy server being used in browser, and Avast Web shield is up and running. checked, "dial up connection only"

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:00:35 PM »
When you are using the WinMe operating system then you need to set up a proxy in your browser to work with the Webshield.

If you do not then the Webshield is just sitting there doing nothing at all - and not involved in scanning your Web activity.

For tutorials on setting up the necessary proxy see the links in this post by Tech.

hines232

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 02:05:02 AM »
 :o  Strange !! Web shield is scanning, and it looks like Avast (1st) install, set up proxy server in my browser.(did not know). checked out the dial up connection in your post, and it was already set up the proper way for WinME !!?? still same prob.,after on demand Scan.

hines232

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
One last try. All of the above has been implemented. Should I go to the beta and see if prob. goes away?? This morning when I turned on my computer and it was comming up with my Home page, every thing froze up, because Avast was auto. updating at the same time. update went fine, but all of the afore, and above happened all over again. could not get to home page this time, at all. did half a dozen shutdowns and restarts to no avail ::) let computer set till screen saver (Avastss) started and VRDB ran. when VRDB finished, I again tried to log on to home page, IT WORKED !!! (I should add that I took down Web and Std Sheld), still could not get on Home page.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:27:23 AM by hines232 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:46:48 AM »
If you take down the Webshield and you did not remove the proxy from your browser that works with the Webshield then you most certainly will not be able to browse to your home page.

If you did take out the proxy from your browser then avast is playing no part at all in the browsing in Windows Me whether the Webshield is running or not.

Which browser are you using?

I think that you are telling us that the conditions have changed - before you reported that this problem occurred only after you had run a complete scan.  Now this seems to be on a normal startup.  Since avast runs automatic updates (if there is an update) on every system start are you saying that this is a problem you have not seen on a normal startup before or have you changed the avast update settings? 

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the avast beta working of Webshield that is at all applicable to Win Me systems.  As I mentioned before the automatic intercept for port 80 calls is not implemented in Win9x systems (that is why you need the proxy in your browser).  The issues other users have been seeing and that avast have addressed in the most recent beta involve the automatic intercept; these users are not on Win9x systems. 

This sounds to me rather like an overload of your WinMe system at startup.  I find on my old WinMe system (but it only has 128Mb of memory) that it is best to leave it alone until the avast automatic update has completed before trying to browse.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 12:54:03 AM »
let computer set till screen saver (Avastss) started and VRDB ran. when VRDB finished, I again tried to log on to home page, IT WORKED !!! (I should add that I took down Web and Std Sheld), still could not get on Home page.
VRDB is the virus recovery database (the 'i' icon). It's not screensaver scanning.
I'm saying this (maybe you already know) because I see no relationship between VRDB and Internet connection (or WebShield).
The best things in life are free.

hines232

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:45:14 AM »
let computer set till screen saver (Avastss) started and VRDB ran. when VRDB finished, I again tried to log on to home page, IT WORKED !!! (I should add that I took down Web and Std Shield), still could not get on Home page.
VRDB is the virus recovery database (the 'i' icon). It's not screensaver scanning.
I'm saying this (maybe you already know) because I see no relationship between VRDB and Internet connection (or WebShield).
My VRDB (I have it set to run when screen saver is on. (it is doing something because the hhd lights up for quite a while and then stops. (screen saver is still on, and monitor in low power.

hines232

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:57:22 AM »
If you take down the Webshield and you did not remove the proxy from your browser that works with the Webshield then you most certainly will not be able to browse to your home page.

If you did take out the proxy from your browser then avast is playing no part at all in the browsing in Windows Me whether the Webshield is running or not.

Which browser are you using?

I think that you are telling us that the conditions have changed - before you reported that this problem occurred only after you had run a complete scan.  Now this seems to be on a normal startup.  Since avast runs automatic updates (if there is an update) on every system start are you saying that this is a problem you have not seen on a normal startup before or have you changed the avast update settings? 

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the avast beta working of Webshield that is at all applicable to Win Me systems.  As I mentioned before the automatic intercept for port 80 calls is not implemented in Win9x systems (that is why you need the proxy in your browser).  The issues other users have been seeing and that avast have addressed in the most recent beta involve the automatic intercept; these users are not on Win9x systems. 

This sounds to me rather like an overload of your Win Me system at startup.  I find on my old Win Me system (but it only has 128Mb of memory) that it is best to leave it alone until the avast automatic update has completed before trying to browse.

No, I had not taken down the proxy from browser (IE6). and as I logged on to my home page, Still showing blank "white" screen, Avast update took over and finished fine. still had blank "white" screen, and no home page. (waited and waited and waited). Now, interisting !!!!!!!!!!,  it had connected to internet, was able to go to ANOTHER WEB sight OK !!. tried home page again and still was hanging with blank screen.!!!. Other times I get to home page fine. I do not know what is going on !!!.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 03:26:13 AM »
IT WORKED !!!
My VRDB (I have it set to run when screen saver is on. (it is doing something because the hhd lights up for quite a while and then stops. (screen saver is still on, and monitor in low power.
What worked? The connection? I think there is no relationship between VRDB being generated at screen saver time and WebShield and connection... just this.

Other times I get to home page fine. I do not know what is going on !!!.
Which webpage? Can you post the link? If you use another browser, can you see the webpage?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 03:35:44 AM »
If you have the Webshield stopped and the you have not removed the proxy then:

1) regular port 80 (like Yahoo) accesses will fail because the proxy is set for http

2) called to secure websites using https will work because the proxy is not set for https calls.