Author Topic: c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe Rootkit ;-(  (Read 172076 times)

Boglen

Re: c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe Rootkit ;-(
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 12:52:49 PM »
You can restore system by System Restore. default system restore doesn't work, but you may run ERD Commander 2005.
I'm up about 20 systems today..

ring0

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »
it confirms that avast is really really a worse av

take antivir and see the difference !!!! ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
it confirms that avast is really really a worse av

take antivir and see the difference !!!! ;D

Which difference, really? That it doesn't FP on svchost.exe?
Trust me, similar things happened to them as well (and to the other AV companies, Symantec/McAfee including, too).

This is not an excuse for avast, it's just that trolling is the last thing people want to hear now.

Cheers
Vlk
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:56:58 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
Vlk, I can't believe such a file will give a false positive...
Shouldn't it be digitally signed?
How can this signature pass to your standard tests? ???

If the user delete or move the file to Chest in boot scanning, how would it be allowed to logon again? Another incident that asks for a boot time access to Chest.
The best things in life are free.

Boglen

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »
Мужики, кто на родном и могучем рубит, обращайтесь, отконсультирую какими способами можно восстановить систему  ;D

To Restore system you can try to start from a your windows install disk d:\i386\winnt32.exe and choose a mode - updating.
Or rollback system by external utils, like ERD. Necessarily copy svchost after rollback the system.
If you simple copy the svchost in the system32, it will not help

golem XIII

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
We are french resseler, we habe more than 10 PC dead.
When people from avast are going to give us :

Right explication
Fix to repair damaged files ands registry database ???

IT's YOUR RESPONSABILITY !

Emmanuel

Merralux

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 03:44:32 PM »
Guys so I dont have that virus?It was a false alarm?I want to be 100% sure because i have to make something with my bank account.

lea

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
hello everyone,
as many people here, i have the same problem :( i put the "false virus" in quarantaine and since then i have many problems and i don't have the internet anymore.
is the latest vsp going to correct something or is it just to prevent other persons to have the same problem ? i downloaded it (released: 4.6.2008, version: 080604-1) from another computer, i'd like to know if it's going to do something before install it (i don't want things to get worse...).
thank you in advance for your answer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
I haven't had any alert on svchost.exe since this was first reported in this topic, XP Pro SP2, English language version.

I did a specific scan with ashQuick.exe (right click) on this file with VPS 080604-1 and no detection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fonzy44

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »
Hi,

To Avast developers:

Please it's very urgent to react to this problem, (the same as described along this thread) cause many people around me (including myself) can't use their computer anymore.

Too many people are facing with the same problem caused by Avast antivirus which has corrupted the OS.
So, please, be professional and:
1. Put a message on the main page of your website (www.avast.com) saying that there was a problem and you're working on it.
2. Do all what you can to provide us quickly a patch to restore deleted / corrupted files / registry

==> That what I call "Professionalism"

I use Avast antivirus since more than 3 years now and never had any problem with it, I will continue to believe in it, but please FIX THE PROBLEM !

By the way, don't forget that many people don't know what is the recovery function on the Windows XP CD, and surely don't know where they let this CD cause they only use their computer for web surfing and mail !

Thanks in advance for your quick response !
Fonzy.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Some people are working on it and I don't know the full details - but personally, I think it will turn out to be impossible to restore the deleted registry.

kakashi99

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »
Hi all,

of course it will be impossible for you to restore the deleted registry, but what you can do it's to put a warning on avast website or mail every avast customer.
A lot of people (in France) have deleted this file "thanks" to this alert, and once they have re-install windows, the message come back again... You have to explain how to avoid this.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »
If Windows is reinstalled, so is the other software, isn't it? So, how would the (now obsolete) virus database, containing the false alarm, get there?

What I'm trying to say is that the false alarm should not re-appear... unless I'm missing something obvious, of course.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 05:12:35 PM by igor »

kakashi99

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
when I say "re-install" I mean use the function "install" then "repair" on Windows XP boot menu.

I have did it yesterday evening. at begining everything was working fine, but 15 sec after windows start, the alert came back again... Really strange... tonight I will update avast, and hope that the problem will be fixed.

but please, keep your users informed when there is a so big issue with your product ! ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
So, you successfully repaired your system with the "Repair" option from Windows CD?
No network problems, all installed programs working, etc.?