Author Topic: "Invalid License Number" followed by unable to install  (Read 5779 times)

liamg

"Invalid License Number" followed by unable to install
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:08:03 AM »
I've been using Avast and despite the nag screens was too lazy to do anything about registering until a couple of days before the temp license expired.  At that point when I tried to enter a validation key the only message I got was "Invalid License Number".  I tried with a different email address thinking that only one key/account could be used per installation.  The second key I got had the same problem.

I had a look at the forums and the advice seemed to be re-register and failing that reinstall.  When I reinstalled the installer crashed with the following errors:

avast!
A setiface error has occurred: 2
Try to reinstall or contact support, please.

followed by:

An error 2 (000000002) has occured.
Last performed operation was:
spawning

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Invalid License Number" followed by unable to install
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:28:30 AM »
what version of avast do you have, 4.8.1201 is the latest version ?

Windows error 2 = The system cannot find the file specified, so there is certainly something wrong with your installation.

If you didn't first uninstall avast it may bump into the self-defence of the new 4.8 version of avast.

Try add remove programs to uninstall avast, this may well fail because of the setiface error. In which case you can use the avast uninstall utility.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.
2. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "Invalid License Number" followed by unable to install
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
Please, post the last 200-250 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.