Author Topic: Weird locations in Standard Shield advanced config  (Read 8428 times)

dallas7

Weird locations in Standard Shield advanced config
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »
Running WinXP Pro SP2, avast! Pro 4.8-1229

See the screenshot.  Could those two locations...
C:\WINDO
ions2)')ANDWS\CSC\?0??????

...be correct??

And while I'm here wasting bandwidth, what is the reasoning behind blocking scans of .TMP files and the system TEMP folder?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:59:18 AM by dallas7 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Wierd locations in Standard Shield advanced config
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 11:50:12 PM »
It looks like these are a corruption of what used to be in older versions of avast and the more recent version.

These aren't in the new listing see image of mine, ignore the pagefile one that is a custom one of mine the ones by the red line are the defaults.

.tmp files are normally text files which are a low/no risk of infection, or at lease I believe that is the thinking.

You could try an avast repair, though I doubt that would do it, it would probably be better to do a clean reinstall.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
Run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.
Install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dallas7

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:47:52 AM »
see image of mine

Where?

Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
Run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.
Install the latest version, reboot.

Shouldn't the Uninstall Utility be run under Safe mode?

Anyhow, I already did that a few days ago to clear up issues I perceived were related to registering Home with my Pro license key.  So whatever's in my environment is in the 4.8.1229.0 setupengpro.exe.

The screenshot in the posting above is at the "bottom" of the list.  I've attached three more of the locations starting from the top.  Is there anything else amiss? 

Instead of the "artillery round" fix of an uninstall/reinstall, I think it would be better if the developers would post up the default entries even if I have to update the locations manually. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:50:52 AM by dallas7 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
There has been no mention of it being required to be run under safe mode.

If you get any issue with self-defence, disable it in the troubleshooting section before running it.

The artillery as you say may be necessary because your settings are somehow corrupted as shown in your weird locations image. I don't know if simply deleting all the entries and putting in the default locations wouldn't still have some form of corruption.

What I posted in the image is from a clean install on my new system so would be the default settings. The problem being that the old location exclusions, I would hazard a guess are retained somewhere else as I would imagine would still be excluded, so that is something else that I don't know if it would be guaranteed by just deleting all and inserting just the new defaults.

That is why I suggested the artillery as you put it, a) it should most certainly resolve it, b) it would be quicker to do this than sit around waiting for notification of the defaults and c) that might not be 100% guaranteed to work or not have some other ramifications.

Your system your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dallas7

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
There has been no mention of it being required to be run under safe mode.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html
Please see step 2.

We'll have to agree to disagree on our philosophies regarding software repair.

Regardless of that, I'd still like to see your image with the default settings you mentioned in your two postings above.
I don't see it.  Where is it?

Thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »
Looks like it went walk about, here is another.

The pagefile.sys entry is my own

dallas7

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »
Thanks David!

Also, the fine folks at avast! support tell me those default entries are as they should be.

I still think C:\WINDO is weird.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 01:27:31 AM »
Most certainly weird.

I can't see the purpose for abbreviating the folder name with the use of an asterisk * wildcard. I also can't understand it if they are saying that is a default setting as it doesn't appear in my clean installation (as at version 4.8.1201 and normal program updates to 1229).

Or are you saying the default entries I gave are as they should be ?

dallas7

Re: Weird locations in Standard Shield advanced config
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 01:55:40 AM »
Well, we can only see the first few entries in the screenshot you posted.  You'd have to scroll down three or four bits and take more screen shots like I did for us to see all the entries.

My four screenshots are the ones I sent to avast! support and that's what they commented on - those entries are as they should be.  My first post shows the the "bottom" of my locations, while the other three posted later show the "top", "top middle" and "next middle" of my locations listing.

Keep in mind I originally had problems with my avast! environment after using the license key to upgrade Home to Pro.  I subsequently used Windows' "Add or Remove Programs" and aswclear.exe (in Safe mode  ;D ) to remove that and then installed Pro with setupengpro.exe  Could be that's why there may be diffs in our environments.

avast! support has helped me square away this and another issue that perplexed me.  That being said, in my experience there is a higher than average learning curve associated with the Enhanced User Interface especially since Help is vague and deficient in many topics.  I have found myself doing too many "click it and see what happens" events.  Which is why I suggested "Restore Defaults" buttons throughout the settings/properties areas in the v5 wishlist thread.  :P 

Overall, though, avast! rocks and I've already converted three friends, one of whom is making a Pro purchase next paycheck.  Or so she says.  I'll have to keep an eye on her...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:03:38 AM by dallas7 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 02:25:44 AM »
The only items in my list that were not created by me are the ones marked by the red line in the first image as I stated, that is all no others, as you can see from the follow up image, *.ini being the last one in my first image and the first one in my follow up.

As you can see the scroll bar is at the bottom, so I haven't a clue what is going on if Alwil say yours are the correct defaults and mine came from a clean installation.

olddog

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 02:49:15 AM »
Dallas7,

The listing in three PC's I have, all with the lastest Avast version, is similar to yours, however I believe the two lines you show as

C:\WINDO
ions2\ ANDWS\CSD\?0? ?? ?? ?
should be
C:\WINDOWS\CSD\?0? ?? ?? ?   (Spaces added to prevent the Huh smileys from taking over)

Edit: Also the line that says E:\TEMP\*.TMP is not present on my PC's - Did you add this manually and does it refer to a genuine TEMP folder location?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:32:11 AM by olddog »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 03:10:01 AM »
Well I would say this is an accumulation of what was there in earlier versions of avast and they aren't removed by the auto program updates. In this my new system I only have what were in the above images on a clean install of 4.8.1201 and subsequent updates to 1229.

I just fired my old system up, connected it to my UPS and promptly crashed my new system whilst trying to reply and check out my old system.

However, on my old system (not networked, so can't easily grab images) it still has all the ones in other images and avast went on that system a long time ago and the last time I did a clean reinstall on that was pre 4.7.

olddog

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:14:11 AM »
DavidR,

That's weird. All of my PC's have the same entries, and one of them was a clean install back at 4.8.1201. It had not had Avast on it previously.

I have attached a shot of the entries.

As you can see, I don't have the entries you have shown, namely

?:\zz-avast-exclude\*
*\wl_hook.dll
?:\dcim\101_pana\*

and these locations (and wl_hook.dll) are not present on the two PCs I have checked, one XP-Home SP3 and the other XP-Home SP2.

Beats me!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:17:28 AM by olddog »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
Those shown as I said earlier are my custom exclusions (only those opposite the Red line in my original image are defaults).
a) a location I store tools which would otherwise be detected by avast
b) a firewall hook that can cause locking with the AV so it can't start a process after being paused
c) my digital camera SD card storage and I don't want the .jpg files scanned when I copy them to my HDD.

olddog

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:04:17 PM »
DavidR,

Those shown as I said earlier are my custom exclusions (only those opposite the Red line in my original image are defaults).

Yes, thank you, I missed that somehow.  :-[