Author Topic: Long startup after update to 4.8.1229  (Read 13107 times)

Offline Geoffo

Long startup after update to 4.8.1229
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:55:53 PM »
After just updating to 4.8.1229, my PC is taking a lot longer to start up. Normally, my PC takes under a minute, but now it hangs for about 3/4 minutes at the stage where the wallpaper is showing but none of the onscreen icons are loaded. Once, it has loaded the icons but then waited 3/4 minutes whilst loading network and avast.

Are there any bugs/conflicts with this latest prog build?

Geoff

PS I have XP and Online Armor
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:57:57 PM by Geoffo »
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Long startup after update to 4.8.1229
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »
That would seem to be overly long, what other security software do you have running on boot ?

What is your internet connection type (broadband) ?
If so avast could detect a connection and check for updates, though that shouldn't have changed from the earlier program version.

When did you install online armor ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »
That would seem to be overly long, what other security software do you have running on boot ?

What is your internet connection type (broadband) ?
If so avast could detect a connection and check for updates, though that shouldn't have changed from the earlier program version.

When did you install online armor ?

I have no other security software running on boot. I have Broadband, and installed Online Armor about a month ago, with no problems - til now. I must emphasise that this problem started IMMEDIATELY after updating the avast program - and ever since.

I have just found this message, of which the first post exactly describes the same problem I am having

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34587.0

so I must read the rest of this thread. Hopefully it indicates a problem shared by others and maybe there is a suggested solution

Geoff

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »
This is a known issue with Online Armor that is currently under investigation of the OA guys (seems like they need to fix it on their side so far).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »
This is a known issue with Online Armor that is currently under investigation of the OA guys (seems like they need to fix it on their side so far).

Cheers
Vlk

That is rather surprising given that:-
1. Before I installed OA, I asked on their forum if there were any conflicts with avast, and was told 'no'
http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=4311
2. I have had OA with no conflicts with the earlier versions of avast
3. Wurtsi is having the same problems and he has Comodo on this thread
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34587.msg290089#msg290089

Can you please give me the link where you found out that it is "currently under investigation of the OA guys"

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:16:30 PM by Geoffo »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »
I doubt there is a link, I would imagine that it is through contact between Alwil and OA.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marksalehouse

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
I notice that Avast now slows the startup quite a bit. I did a lot of tweaks to speed up the PC (like stopping the index service) and they all helped. The broadband is slow to connect (it takes a long time for the data light to start flashing and the browser to come up).

I think what happens now is Avast is the first thing to run. It looks for a daily update. After finding (or not) and installing it, Avast lets the rest of the startup work.

The dilemma is; should I move Avast startup priority down and worry about something getting on the system before Avast is thoroughly up and running? Or put up with a slow startup? Problem is, I cannot for the life of me remember how to change the prioity list. Good old Google then.

M

barry127

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:19:47 AM »

Cheers
Vlk
I posted about this problem on another thread, and this is the most rediculous reply I've read in a long time.  To blame Online Armor and say "they need to fix it on their side" is totally unresponsive.  What about fixing it on Avast's side, too?

simpleton

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 05:37:48 AM »
To blame Online Armor and say "they need to fix it on their side" is totally unresponsive.  What about fixing it on Avast's side, too?

Indeed, what has Avast done to interfere with OA, or any other firewall if it comes to that?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:09:55 AM »
Will you read what the man said!

It seems does not imply blame it simply implies the current status of investigation. 

If you have any experience (worthy of the description) of this forum then you will know the the avast team are more open than most in these issues and in the experience of most of us are willing to own up when it their problem.   

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:30 AM »
There have been reports here of Online Armor and avast! 'interfering' with each other particularly at startup for some time. To get the lot you'll need to search for both "online armor" and "online armour".

I doubt it's the firewall of OA or COMODO that conflicts with avast! More likely the behaviour analysis/HIPS.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

ardvark

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »
Hi...

I'm not sure if it will work in this case but you could try uninstalling avast with the uninstall utility and then download and install a fresh copy.

You can find the utilty here...

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Best Regards...

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 09:29:17 AM »
Will you read what the man said!

It seems does not imply blame it simply implies the current status of investigation. 

If you have any experience (worthy of the description) of this forum then you will know the the avast team are more open than most in these issues and in the experience of most of us are willing to own up when it their problem.   

I just can't follow the logic. OA and avast co-exist perfectly on my PC. I then update avast with a prog update, and immediately my startup times go from under 1 minute to over 5 minutes. I don't see how  avast can dismiss it as an OA problem, when logically it has to be avast!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »
Don't see any logic in that.
OA may simply contain a bug, which manifests itself only in specific circumstances. The avast! update may have changed the circumstances on the computer somehow (without doing anything wrong or bad, just different) - so the bug, previously hidden, appears.

[I don't know anything myself about this particular problem, just explaining what Vlk said.]

barry127

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 05:16:41 PM »
Don't see any logic in that.
OA may simply contain a bug, which manifests itself only in specific circumstances. The avast! update may have changed the circumstances on the computer somehow (without doing anything wrong or bad, just different) - so the bug, previously hidden, appears.

[I don't know anything myself about this particular problem, just explaining what Vlk said.]

A software conflict (or any conflict, for that matter) involves at least two parties.  To say that the bug is in OA, and that the avast! update exposed it, is simply arrogance.  I commend OA for trying to address the problem (according to Vik) and condemn avast! for not doing so (no one on this thread has claimed they are).  Many people will have to face the choice of either keeping OA and ditching avast! or keeping avast! and ditching OA.  I personally will keep the old avast! engine (4.8.1201), and will continue to update the database, until avast! v5 comes out.  If at that time the problem hasn't been fixed (either by OA or by avast!, I don't care who), I will get rid of avast! and keep OA.  You (avast!) should stop playing the blame game and try to fix the problem yourself, otherwise you'll lose some customers and get a bad reputation.