Author Topic: Possible to disable shields permanently  (Read 4066 times)

insaprsr

Possible to disable shields permanently
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:12:36 AM »
Is it possible to run Avast 4.8 Home without shields at all, and just use it to scan for viruses? I know I can do this by turning off the shields manually each time I reboot or restart, but is there any way to just leave the shields off permanently? The shields just slow my win xp sp3 terribly! So did AVG 8.

PapaSmurf

Re: Possible to disable shields permanently
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:57:11 AM »
If you do not want a real time AV scanner, why not just use an online scanner and not have an AV loaded?
There are plenty out there. Just a thought.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:33:37 AM »
If your XP SP3PC is struggling then avast! is only "the straw that breaks the c a m e l's back".  ;)
It is possible to install avast! 4.8 as an on-demand scanner only but to me the minimal gain in performance is more than offset by the increased potential risk.

Go to "Add or Remove Programs" > "avast! Antivirus", click "Change/Remove".
When the avast! dialog box pops up, choose "Change" and click "Next >".
Uncheck everything you've determined you definitely don't need under "Resident Protection". (I'm assuming you have the free Home version.)
Click "Next" and follow any futher instructions.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:47:29 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »
Use Standard Shield at Normal level (or even in Custom, disabling the scanning of open/created/modified files). avast is not a good non-resident antivirus, it's thought to be resident. Which other security programs do you use? How much RAM (memory) do you have in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

insaprsr

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »
computer: AMD athlon 64 3500+
2.21 ghz
1gb ram

Also have webroot spysweeper--have disabled that now, too.
With both disabled, computer runs great.
Not good to open up the same old Word or Excel files that I've used for years and see the computer's red light on and the blue cue ball "A" spinning round and round, with no work being done while I wait wait wait...
This is not a knock against Avast, AVG 8.0 was doing the same thing (7.5 was a little better, but that's history).
Would be nice if AV software could be "trained" to know that opening certain files over & over is OK, we don't have to spring into action and look for the bad guys every time the human operating the computer opens files or a program. On the other hand, if files or programs were being opened not by the human operator but automatically, THAT could be a suspicious event to be investigated (unless I was using a macro, and couldn't the AV software be trained to see that it was MY macro and not some @@!!! out there)?
I've decided to chance running naked, with scans maybe every other day from both avast and spy sweeper, because I'm careful where I go, and, from the old days, am in the habit of saving and scanning email attachments before opening, even from legitimate sources.
However, reading Tech's post, I could try disabling the scanning of open/created/modified files and see if I can get some work done here without all the doggone waiting.....

sandeep108

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 03:14:22 PM »
There may be some other problem with your PC or a conflict with other software / previous AV software. Granted AVG8 slows down ANY PC(!) but on my old P4 2.4 with 512MB RAM at home, avast! runs quite fine, very marginally slows down things as compared to old AVG7.5. Considering that avast! has a lot more running than AVG 7.5, it is a very small trade off.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »
With both disabled, computer runs great.
Well... hmmm... protection requires resources. This will be always this way: your computer will always run better, with more resources, without protection... until you get infected...

Not good to open up the same old Word or Excel files that I've used for years and see the computer's red light on and the blue cue ball "A" spinning round and round, with no work being done while I wait wait wait...
Which antivirus did you use before avast?

Would be nice if AV software could be "trained" to know that opening certain files over & over is OK, we don't have to spring into action and look for the bad guys every time the human operating the computer opens files or a program.
The guys that write malware piece of software are constantly thinking how to make their files look innofensive and clean...

I've decided to chance running naked
Use, at least, avast. Let the antispyware as only on-demand if you need.
The best things in life are free.