Author Topic: avast icon on system tray...  (Read 7838 times)

sekhth

avast icon on system tray...
« on: September 04, 2008, 04:26:04 AM »
Ok. So, I'm a little confused about my anti-virus I used to have it on my old computer and the icon was always on the system tray....but now that i had change my computer and downloaded avast to my new one....the icon does not appear on the system tray at all...not even when i turn on my computer or when i click on the avast application under "start" i already had tried going to settings and making sure the option of the system tray is selected.....i dont know if this is a big deal but im concern that my anti-virus is not working if that little icon is not in there....do i make myself clear??? my english is very shaky...sorry...  :-[
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:17:24 AM by sekhth »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: avast icon on system tray...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 04:42:34 AM »
Open windows explorer and navigate to this folder

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4

In the right hand panel locate this file ashdisp.exe

Double click the file and see if the icon appears.

If it does, you could create a shortcut on your desktop to place the icon in the taskbar until the problem is resolved. You will have to do this each time you start your computer.

Some of the usual suspects are the presence or remnants of another antvirus program, another security program blocking it or just a bad install.

What other security programs do you have? Did you have a different antivirus program before and how did you uninstall it?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 04:48:59 AM »
(in Windows XP)
Right click the bottom taskbar, click "properties" make sure the box "hide inactive icons" is NOT ticked, click OK.
Does the icon appear?
Open Taskmanager (ctrl-alt-del) and check that the following processes are there: ashDisp.exe, and ashServ.exe. There may (probably) be more "ash" processes, depending on how many providers are running, and how you've configured it.
If not, go to "add/remove programs" in the control panel, click on Avast, click "change or remove",select "repair" at the options.
[edit] posted while "oldman" was posting his reply. Check his suggestions first.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sekhth

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 05:16:45 AM »
Thanks old man and tarq57 ...i did exactly as i was told but no ashdisp.exe  ... no luck there...i guess i must have really screw it up when i installed it or something...i had avg anti-virus before....and i uninstalled it by going to the control panel and then the remove or add option....i dont have a clue!.... thanks again! :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:18:24 AM by sekhth »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 05:24:24 AM »
Open Avast AV, (if necessary: "Start>all programs>Avast Antivirus") and click the menu. Select "Settings", select "appearance", make sure the top box is ticked. That should do the trick.
If it doesn't, carry out the repair, as stated above.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 03:13:50 PM »
1. Check the option in the Appearance tab of settings.
or
2. Repair your avast installation through Control Panel.
or
3. Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder
or
4. Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
See picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26155.msg213891#msg213891

If that does not help, please, uninstall, boot, install again, boot.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc.?
The best things in life are free.