Author Topic: VRDB  (Read 2751 times)

kevincarina

VRDB
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »
Hi
My first post so pleeeeease be gentle with me!!

I installed Avast 4 home edition yesterday on the recommendation of a friend,i just need to know how long on average does VRDB take to do it`s thing when 1st downloaded,i have read the help files and done a search but cannot seem to find an answer.
My icon is still spinning away happily and i assume is making copies of various files,when can i expect it to remain still?
Kind regards.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: VRDB
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »
I'm afraid there isn't a average time as it is dependant on how much you have on your HDD. The VRDB only monitors executable files so if you have lots of applications on your system it could take longer than someone that doesn't have as many.

Depending on your system spec it would also have an impact on duration, fast system with plenty of RAM would be quicker than a low powered CPU with minimal RAM, so I think you can see that there is no average as there are too many variables.

However, my first VRDB scan on my old system took 7-8 minutes, yours could be longer or shorter.

It doesn't make copies of files but gathers information about the file so it could try to repair an infected file, it isn't a back-up program as that could consume very large chunks of your HDD space.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security