Author Topic: Why  (Read 8655 times)

grog4444

Why
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »
I'm just curious, when I use to use AVG it had updates every day but AVAST doesn't.
Is there a reason why????

Reductase

Re: Why
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
Pretty darn close to daily... maybe your settings?  Firewall (as mentioned by Tech in a previous thread):

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service). Although, ashServ.exe sends ping packets to find out if the Internet connection is alive. You can turn this off by checking the "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" box in the avast Program Settings > Update (Connections) page.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:20:31 PM by Reductase »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »
Yes, almost daily as Reductase said. Some days we got more than 1 update.

You can also see updates here:

http://www.avast.com/eng/vps_history.html
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

grog4444

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »
I have no problem checking for updates.
My last update was yesterday but I just started using AVAST yesterday

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »
I have no problem checking for updates.
My last update was yesterday but I just started using AVAST yesterday

Well...on your first post you asked why avast didn't have updates every day, and I showed you that avast almost have it every day, and the last update was yesterday, so do you have the update 4.10.2008 - 81004-0, then everything is just fine, that was the latest update.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

grog4444

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 07:48:28 PM »
Thanks for your help!!!!
Its greatly appreciated!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »
Whilst there is no specific schedule it is commonly every day and sometimes more than once a day and unlike the free version of AVG you aren't limited to one update per day. I have in the past during periods of high virus activity had as many as 4-5 updates in a day.

avast checks for updates every time you connect to the internet and again after 4 hours if you remain on-line. Since I'm a dial-up user it checks for updates each time I connect.

One of the major reasons I jumped the AVG ship over four and a half years ago was the poor state of the update process.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PapaSmurf

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
Right clik on avast! icon in sys tray, select program settings, clik on update(Basic)
and make sure your auto update is checked.
Then, if you have a firewall, go into its' allowed program settings and make sure that avast! is
allowed to connect. The program usually checks for updates as soon as your desktop boots up,
but I have noticed that if I decide to open my browser right away, it will check for updates in the background,
you should notice the icon spinning, which is a clue that the program is active and either checking your system, or checking for updates. I know that mine checks daily.
Hope this helps :)

grog4444

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »
When you have it set for auto update does it bog down your computer when its updating????
I had to shut down the auto update when I used AVG because it did this.

Spiritsongs

"AVG Remover"
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 09:26:17 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Would be best to better define "bog" !?

And on this Forum we are concerned IF the previous AV has been
 COMPLETELY REMOVED because IF has NOT been, that can effect the
 performance of Avast . In the case of AVG, it would be wise to seriously
 consider using the "AVG Remover" at www.avg.com/download-tools .

grog4444

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
I did remove AVG with the remover. When I say BOG I mean the computer is going really slow.
When your surfing it there is a delay and if you have a screen saver on it starts and stops.
If you bring up the task manger you could see that AVG has a high CPU usage.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »
When you have it set for auto update does it bog down your computer when its updating????
I had to shut down the auto update when I used AVG because it did this.

On the contrary, with the virus signature updates set to Auto there is a little trick that restricts the CPU % so as not to bog down other processes. If you set this to Ask or to Manual then this restriction isn't applied as it is deemed you wouldn't be starting an update if you were busy so no need to throttle the CPU usage.

The avast updates also differ in that they are incremental, and only the changes between the VPS version you have to the VPS version available are downloaded. So the avast VPS updates are measured in KBs rather than MBs and this makes a big difference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

grog4444

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:07:23 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!!!
I have it set on ASK but I have never seen it work yet.
Also, what time should it be set on to check for updates????
Currently auto update is set to check every 240 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:10:51 PM by grog4444 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »
I have it set on ASK but I have never seen it work yet.
Do you really think the automatic brings you trouble? The updates aren't that huge...

Also, what time should it be set on to check for updates????
Currently auto update is set to check every 240 minutes.
120 minutes is the minor value allowed for home version.
If you want less updates, set a higher value.
The best things in life are free.

grog4444

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 10:33:53 PM »
Thanks again for your help!!!!   :) :) :)