Author Topic: What Do I Really Need Along with avast! ?  (Read 5095 times)

PamJ

What Do I Really Need Along with avast! ?
« on: November 09, 2008, 09:54:48 PM »
I've learned a lot here in the last few days since avast's malware detection sent me running to find answers!  (Thanks everyone!)  But, learning sometimes creates more questions, and people here are so knowledgeable, so if I can bother you some more....

If I understand what I've read so far avast! best job is resident protection, but it does other scanning as well. 

It's not good to have two resident scanners running at the same time.  Right?  Because they might conflict each other.

Several software have been mentioned that would be good to use along with avast!, but I'm assuming only in a on-demand way (Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Housecall). And sending certain suspect files to VirusTotal.

Having avast!, plus Malwarebytes and Superantispyware to use as on-demand only, what else do I need, if anything? What's a good firewall? Do firewalls conflict with avast! or the others I mentioned?

I read in another thread, that the answer might be determined by Internet habits.  I don't download much, but I do a lot of Internet research, business and personal. 

Any thoughts?

EDIT:  I also have Spybot-Search and Destroy.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:25:19 PM by PamJ »

ardvark

Re: What Do I Really Need Along with avast! ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
I've learned a lot here in the last few days since avast's malware detection sent me running to find answers!  (Thanks everyone!)  But, learning sometimes creates more questions, and people here are so knowledgeable, so if I can bother you some more....

If I understand what I've read so far avast! best job is resident protection, but it does other scanning as well. 

It's not good to have two resident scanners running at the same time.  Right?  Because they might conflict each other.

Several software have been mentioned that would be good to use along with avast!, but I'm assuming only in a on-demand way (Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Housecall). And sending certain suspect files to VirusTotal.

Having avast!, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware to use as on-demand only, what else do I need, if anything? What's a good firewall? Do firewalls conflict with avast! or the others I mentioned?

I read in another thread, that the answer might be determined by Internet habits.  I don't download much, but I do a lot of Internet research, business and personal. 

Any thoughts?

Hi Pam...

You are correct in stating that two scanners (antivirus programs) can cause conflicts. :)

However, you can use other anti-malware applications, like MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware, in both an on demand and real time capacity. Spyware Terminator is another application that offers free real time protection as well...

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

I would recommend you take time to understand how it works because confuguring it can be a bit technical. ;)

I also recommend another free program for everyone that doesn't run in the background...

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

In terms of a firewall, opinions do vary but if you're using Windows XP, Comodo is a good one from what I understand. Both Windows XP and Vista have their own firewalls but they are basic, only offering inbound protection "out of the box." You would have to configure any outbound protection, and from what I've heard, it isn't always easy. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Best Regards...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »
Well you should have seen enough of my signature over the last few days to give you an idea of what I have.

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, you shouldn't have security application take over your life, the more you have the more chance for a) conflict if resident applications, b) you have to keep them up to date and you have to run them.

I have 1 resident antivirus, avast! no others, I have one resident anti-spyware SuperAntiSpyware (paid Pro version) and an on-demand anti-spyware MalwareBytes AntiMalware and a good firewall. For me that is enough and they all combine well to improve overall protection, I update the anti-spyware programs weekly and run an on-demand scan after the update.

One thing missing from that list is a healthy dose of common sense, you will be surprised at how that can keep you out of trouble. Never open attachments or click directly on links in unsolicited emails even if they supposedly come from friends (that can be easily be forged), if from a friend you can always check is it out of context for them, you never know their computer could be infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PamJ

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:58:53 PM »
DavidR, I did notice your signature, and actually wrote it all down yesterday.  And wrote down things other posters were recommending, and the list got way too long to make any sense---like you said, you don't want security application to take over your life. At the same time, I want to make sure I have enough, and know enough.  I also wasn't sure I was right on the the resident part of it, which you and ardvark straightened out for me. 

I have more than a healthy dose of that common sense aspect, but I'm really surprised sometimes how many people aren't.

Thanks, both of you, for your suggestions!    ;D

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »
Hi Pam...

You're welcome, glad I could help! :)

Best Regards...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:13:18 PM »
SpywareBlaster is good in that it is passive, you update it now and again and it ads entries to IE's restricted sites and blocks some activeX and Cookie sites, so you don't have to run an on-demand scan as with other anti-spyware applications. So in that way it is a good tool in the armoury and yes I do use it.

There is a Topic (>> UPDATES <<) in the General forum that helps remind us all of various updates, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg334687#new at the bottom of that topic there is a Notify button, if you click on that you will bet notified when there is a new post. Much of what goes on there won't be of interest but it will be handy for some reminders like SpywareBlaster, Adobe Flash, JAVA, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security